Combined Arms with 2.5 now worthy Mechanized warfare sim.

oscar19681

Hi folks!

I had the idea to try out CA with 2.5 now and see if i did any magic for CA arms now.

And i must say that it has turned into a very worthy combined arms sim with the new update.

The terraind now offers complex hull down tactics you can use to out-gun and outmanuavers russion forces.

by micro managing my company in the single player scenario "Advance on kislovodks" i managed to take the objective by overwatch and carefull use of hull down tactics with only a single los on my abrams (but lost a platoon & my bradleys only to bad management of my AA assets, but won the scenatio non the less) without ever needing to call in any CAS (and being outnumbered by 3 to 2 t-80 platoons, and in older versions this was certain death).

M1a1 vs t-80,s seems to have a lot more "silver bullet" behavure, and the AI now has to take into account LOS because of the trees, which makes combat in urban areas more interessting as well.

Not to mention that the new terrain is extremtly ground combat friendly and very good on the eyes.

Playing Steel beasts pro als well, i must say that CA starting to become some serious competition for SBP now. A job well done ED!!

Edited by oscar19681
  • Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I had my first serious session with CA in years today, and I agree it's so much better now. I think it is getting close to what it was envisaged to be from the outset. There are still bits that need a bit of polish in term of UI, but overall the new Terrain has given a subtlety to combat that was previously lacking.

10 out of 10 ED, well done.

Nate

Yes I agree. The new terrain and trees really makes all the difference, and sometimes I can hardly believe this started as a flight sim

RTX 2070 8GB | 32GB DDR4 2666 RAM | AMD Ryzen 5 3600 4.2Ghz | Asrock X570 | CH Fighterstick/Pro Throttle | TM MFDs | TrackIR 5

Well, 2.5 came to highlight the potential of the CA product. As someone said in this forum, it gives you the feeling of being in a place. It sounds weird at first but I understood as soon as I tried some fast ME setups.

I've allways used CA in two ways: mainly as a ME tool, with heavy use of community made addons. ( Morkva's AT_infantery, Grime's vehicules, Lilkiki's light AAA, Ranger Pack, etc).

Fewer times for a quik high intensity battle with lot of air defence management.

Last three days I've been developing a mission from the FastBattlePlanner in the ME to test 2.5 features. Not wasting any time, as I was also adjusting Video Settings.

What I found is that new visuals opens a clear path for something like DCS M1A2, but right now I feel is as far from Mech. Warfare sim as it was on 1.2.8. Personally I find it hard to command a vehicle from gunner position, useless to lead a platoon with such a simple comms. menu and here I stop.

Maybe it is not the most optimistic post but don't take me wrong, I know what CA was when I purchased it years ago, have seen the evolution of the product and I know the latest anouncements regarding what to expect about it in the future.

• Like 1

With controls even more simplified than World of Tank, they is still a long way to go before we can call that a sim.

I really hope the team will give some love to the module, because for now the thing is just a pile of bugs with gameplay resolving around "press enter to detect and lock then shoot".

If you choose to use the "cheaty" mechanics such as that, sure, but you can also manually range targets using the laser, search using FLIR, etc.

Not arguing that it's a hardcore sim but there is some meat on the bones if you choose to use it...just because you're given the option to spam enter doesn't mean you have to take it.

Tried recently? Pretty dramatic improvement over 1.X.

It's still not all the way there yet, but terrain and trees are no longer "hot"

Oh...have they removed the "heat" from the bottom of the trees ? It was present in the first version of 2.5, without hotfixes

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=116893

Here Combined Arms 2.0 is listed.

Does anybody know if this is a new module or the current CA 1.5 will be upgraded? (If the former I will not buy CA 1.5 now).

13900@5.8Ghz, Asus TUF 4090 OC, 64GB@6400mhz DDR5, 4K, TrackIR 5, Tobii, Virpil CM2, CM3
F-15E | F-16C | F/A-18C | A-10C | A-10C II | AV-8B | AH-64D |  MI-24P | MI-8 | BS 2 | UH-1H | Mosquito | BF 109 | Spitfire | P-47D | CA | SC | WWII AP

fantastic. I'll get it then! Thank you for the fast reply.

13900@5.8Ghz, Asus TUF 4090 OC, 64GB@6400mhz DDR5, 4K, TrackIR 5, Tobii, Virpil CM2, CM3
F-15E | F-16C | F/A-18C | A-10C | A-10C II | AV-8B | AH-64D |  MI-24P | MI-8 | BS 2 | UH-1H | Mosquito | BF 109 | Spitfire | P-47D | CA | SC | WWII AP

• 4 weeks later...