Golden Eagle Spreads Its Wings

frixon28

It's official, operational F-15C's are receiving long term upgrades for the future. F-15C's from the 159th Fighter Wing (LA ANG) have received Conformal Fuel Tanks (CFT) and Multi-Rail Missle Launchers under the F-15 Persistent Air Dominance Enabler . The Multi-Rail Missle Launchers can hold up to 4 AIM-120's each. Not only do the CFT's give the F-15C an extended range, they also put more hard points on the aircraft (as seen on the F-15E Fleet). F-15C CFT's are known as FAST Packs, and they have actually been mounted on F-15C's in the past that were stationed in Iceland or Alaska, but are no longer used due to the drag. The article attatched below is great and explains in full details these upgrades. All the aircraft starting these upgrades are known as "Golden Eagles" that will help serve as part of the SLEP program to allow the -C model fleet serve into the 2040's, and more upgrades include an IRST Pod, Cockpit Upgrades, and more. I am sure that the F-15C's in the next few years will be getting re winged like the A-10's, in order to allow an increased service life. I wonder if the fleet will eventually be receving more RAM, such as seen on the increasingly number of F-16 Have Glass V program aircraft

So long for retiring the Eagle Fleet!

?q=70&w=1440&url=https%3A%2F%2Ftimedotcom.files.wordpress.com%2F2018%2F02%2Fkakha1441.jpg%3Fquality%3D85

http://imagesvc.timeincapp.com/v3/foundry/image/?q=60&url=https%3A%2F%2Fs3.amazonaws.com%2Fthe-drive-staging%2Fmessage-editor%252F1517870656110-screenshot2018-02-05at2.44.03pm.png

?q=60&url=https%3A%2F%2Fs3.amazonaws.com%2Fthe-drive-staging%2Fmessage-editor%252F1517870045824-screenshot2018-02-05at2.33.25pm.png

?q=60&url=https%3A%2F%2Fs3.amazonaws.com%2Fthe-drive-staging%2Fmessage-editor%252F1517874182405-1280px-mcdonnell_douglas_f-15c_with_the_conformal_fast_pack_fuel_tanks_060905-f-1234s-017.jpg

DSw5BkNVAAACZFS.jpg

gallery-1489434086-advancedeaglegraphite.jpg

SOURCE -

http://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/18259/its-back-to-the-future-for-u-s-f-15c-eagles-and-conformal-fuel-tanks

though that last image posted is a rendering of strike eagles -- canopy shape is very distinctive.

I know the rendering is, but it is in the F-15C 2040 Air Superiorty Fighter video, which is where I found it from.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xGY2JBuSCU0

Though I know did just find a correct rendering of what the F-15C 2040/Golden Eagle/Advanced F-15 Air Superiority Fighter/etc

getasset.aspx?itemid=63822

You can expect not to see F-15Cs with CFTs or ridiculous amounts of missiles mounted on them, most of the time.

Air superiority requires performance, and neither of the above are synonymous with it.

The truly important upgrades are the AESA radar, the new cockpit displays and processors, new EW equipment and various new pods that will probably be carried on a limited set of eagles. And of course, new versions of A2A missiles, as well as the JHMCS and data fusion capabilities, datalinks etc.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

You can expect not to see F-15Cs with CFTs or ridiculous amounts of missiles mounted on them, most of the time.

Air superiority requires performance, and neither of the above are synonymous with it.

The truly important upgrades are the AESA radar, the new cockpit displays and processors, new EW equipment and various new pods that will probably be carried on a limited set of eagles. And of course, new versions of A2A missiles, as well as the JHMCS and data fusion capabilities, datalinks etc.

Once the CFT's are uploaded to an aircraft they're rarely downloaded.

If they do load the F-15C's up with them..that'll likely be it. The only time we'll see them without CFT's from here on out will be going to or coming out of Phase.

I know most of the combat coded F-15C units are planning on training with the CFT's from here on out.

I am amazed that they decided to go the flankereske route instead of having secured development of the 6th gen years ago to replace both the F-15 and F-22.

I cant imagine the same airframes built in 80's and 90's still flying in the 2040.

[sigpic]http://forums.eagle.ru/signaturepics/sigpic4448_29.gif[/sigpic]

My PC specs below:

Case: Corsair 400C

PSU: SEASONIC SS-760XP2 760W Platinum

CPU: AMD RYZEN 3900X (12C/24T)

RAM: 32 GB 4266Mhz (two 2x8 kits) of trident Z RGB @3600Mhz CL 14 CR=1T

MOBO: ASUS CROSSHAIR HERO VI AM4

GFX: GTX 1080Ti MSI Gaming X

Cooler: NXZT Kraken X62 280mm AIO

Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 1TB M.2+6GB WD 6Gb red

HOTAS: Thrustmaster Warthog + CH pro pedals

Monitor: Gigabyte AORUS AD27QD Freesync HDR400 1440P

If for nothing else the conformal fuel tanks look great, not 3.7 million great but pretty good none the less.

Specs:

Fractal Design Define R5 Black, ASUS ROG Strix Z370-E, Intel Core i5-8600K Coffee Lake @ 5.1 GHz, MSI GeForce GTX 1080ti 11GB 352-Bit GDDR5X, Corsair H110i, G.Skill TridentZ 32GB (2x16GB), Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB SSD

I am amazed that they decided to go the flankereske route instead of having secured development of the 6th gen years ago to replace both the F-15 and F-22.

I cant imagine the same airframes built in 80's and 90's still flying in the 2040.

What makes you think 6th gens aren't already being developed? Not built yet (as far as we know) but there's definitely 6th gen concepts on paper by now.

I have the feeling they are about to change this and put more emphasis on missile trucks with stand off capability. This seems like an upgrade for the F-15C to operate alongside the F-35 with its sensor advantage and stand off A-A capabilities. That reminds me on the early days of the F-4 somehow...

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

I have a very strong feeling that they're not about to go in that direction :)

I have the feeling they are about to change this and put more emphasis on missile trucks with stand off capability. This seems like an upgrade for the F-15C to operate alongside the F-35 with its sensor advantage and stand off A-A capabilities. That reminds me on the early days of the F-4 somehow...

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

Look at the B-52, KC-135, C-130H, aircraft produced in the the 60's and their still fine. Yes I know someone is going to mention it, their not designed to pull g's and that has a big effect on the lifespan of the aircraft. And to that I say look at the T-38 fleet. Most aircraft were produced in the 60's with a few in the 70s, and these are advanced jet trainer aircraft that have been abused and screwed with for over 50 years! And they still got another 10 years before their replaced.

The USAF F-16's will be around until 2046 confirmed, everything is internal upgrades now for example. In terms of air frame longevity its just replacing wings mostly for fighters.

Most aircraft in service today will still be in service in 2040 (as of now at least). Hell the A-10 might even make it to 2040 based on recent plans

6th Generation aircraft is definitely in development somewhere for the USAF, but It wont be operational for probably 30 years me thinks (just look at how long it is taking for the F-35 development period). IIRC the USAF stated in the fall that they are doing the smart thing and focusing on F-35 delivery and 4th generation upgrades rather than rushing 6th generation. I mean think about, the USAF is the only country with combat ready 5th generation aircraft. Lets focus on getting more 5th gen before we go to 6th.

The Navy did order over 12 more Super Hornets this year, 4th generation aint going anywhere anytime soon. :thumbup:

I believe that is the official plan, make the Eagle a missile truck (mostly but also self sufficient hunter) for the Raptor and Fat Amy.

What makes you think 6th gens aren't already being developed? Not built yet (as far as we know) but there's definitely 6th gen concepts on paper by now.

I know that, what I meant is that the replacement should be past that phase already. Having napkin concepts now means another 20 years in development at the least, hence the 2040 time frame.

[sigpic]http://forums.eagle.ru/signaturepics/sigpic4448_29.gif[/sigpic]

My PC specs below:

Case: Corsair 400C

PSU: SEASONIC SS-760XP2 760W Platinum

CPU: AMD RYZEN 3900X (12C/24T)

RAM: 32 GB 4266Mhz (two 2x8 kits) of trident Z RGB @3600Mhz CL 14 CR=1T

MOBO: ASUS CROSSHAIR HERO VI AM4

GFX: GTX 1080Ti MSI Gaming X

Cooler: NXZT Kraken X62 280mm AIO

Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 1TB M.2+6GB WD 6Gb red

HOTAS: Thrustmaster Warthog + CH pro pedals

Monitor: Gigabyte AORUS AD27QD Freesync HDR400 1440P

There is a significant price tag in terms of drag and, when fueled, in terms of CG.

They are not desirable IMHO. Nor is an F-15 missile truck. Not terribly useful when you can't do what an F-15 can do well: Lob spears at high speed.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

From flying F-15Es, it has a considerable effect on getting supersonic. I've only been super a few times flying it around 120 hours or so, but there isn't often a reason to go that fast in the majority of those flight hours since only a few have been tactical intercept/defensive counter air sorties. Doesn't hurt too much for subsonic acceleration but it just isn't a good shape for transonic speeds. It isn't as bad in -229 engine strike eagles because there's a lot more thrust there (and GE-129 equipped SA and SG models have even more thrust) but seeing as there's no plans to re-engine C models it will hurt their performance a lot.

I can see putting CFTs on if their goal is to extend loiter time for DCA type sorties because two CFTs gives about 1600lbs more gas than two external tanks (2 CFTs and 2 externals brings you to about 31.5k lbs of gas), but I don't know if that's the direction they're actually going to go. Also don't see the racks of AMRAAMs being helpful for it as a "missile truck" since they currently hold enough AMRAAMs for multiple launch and leave rounds before bandits get too close for that tactic anyway. Their current 6x2 loadout is enough to shape the picture for F-22s to cleanup as it is.

we havent even started exploiting 5thgen capabilities yet and you people think we can already move on to 6thgen?

generational shifts are not simply about simple statistical inflation, they are about shifts in paradigm, and you can't know what new approach you will need until you've learned the lessons of the previous generation.

we havent even started exploiting 5thgen capabilities yet and you people think we can already move on to 6thgen?

generational shifts are not simply about simple statistical inflation, they are about shifts in paradigm, and you can't know what new approach you will need until you've learned the lessons of the previous generation.

Well, its not just us people here who think about 6th gen fighters, its the industry that is alredy working on them (e.g. Boeing F/A-XX, MiG-41 or the new franco-german fighter).

Edited by QuiGon

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

The generation concept is defined by air forces. You can try to market something as 'x gen' six ways to sunday, but in the end it's not the marketing that decides.

BTW, USAF has been exploiting 5th gen in 2004 officially. Everyone else who's starting to field '5th gen' stuff now is that many years behind, minimum, and probably a little further behind in technology like AESA radars etc.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

BTW, USAF has been exploiting 5th gen in 2004 officially. Everyone else who's starting to field '5th gen' stuff now is that many years behind, minimum, and probably a little further behind in technology like AESA radars etc.

That is very true but how many F-22's were around 2004? Considering there is less than 200 aircraft now its not like its fleet wide like it will be in 10 years with the F-35 going full blunt. No doubt the technology is around, is it being implemented on everything? With the Golden Eagle these technological advancements will finally be implemented. Though yes the US is still leagues ahead than most of its competitors in the 5th generation department, and most likely always will be