2.5 Video Settings - VR Quality/Performance Balance

StrongHarm

I prefer ASW off for both NTTR and Caucasus as there are too many artifacts. Normandy is less of an issue, so I leave it on there. Never seen any edge bleed in my Rift. Don't get double vision or eye strain either, but I don't get VR or motion sickness in RL either so perhaps that's why I suffer none of these maladies.

I5 6600K @4.5, Gigabyte GA-Z170XP mobo, GMMAXX GTE Cooler, MSI GTX 1080 ti Gaming X gpu (factory OC), SoundBlaster X-F1 sound card, 16 gig Corsair Vengeance ddr4 ram @ 3200 , 3 ssd hds, EVGA 650 Gold Power supply, Saitek X52 Hotas and rudders, 2 AuraSound AST-2B-4 Pro Bass Shakers, Pimax 5K+

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't seem to turn off/on ASW with CTRL-numpad1 and 4. Those are the right keys, i'm pretty sure. I may have to try the registry setting. I also tried Oculus Tray Tool, - although I heard there may be some issues at the moment.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

I can't seem to turn off/on ASW with CTRL-numpad1 and 4. Those are the right keys, i'm pretty sure. I may have to try the registry setting. I also tried Oculus Tray Tool, - although I heard there may be some issues at the moment.

you might have to change the compatabilty of the oculus debug tool as admin, and when you start the tray tool, keep it on the desktop, dont close it out and till you are finsih playing your VR application

Edited by hannibal

find me on steam! username: Hannibal_A101A

http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197969447179

I run DCS without Oculus running. If you set the Oculus App to 'Compatibility>Run As Admin' then it doesn't start up automatically when you engage the rift. When you start DCS it will automatically start the rift hardware.

ASW prevents artifacts such as edge bleed. It doesn't create them. Do the 'Stevie Wonder' test in my post above and see for yourself.

It's a good thing that this is Early Access and we've all volunteered to help test and enhance this work in progress... despite the frustrations inherent in the task with even the simplest of software... otherwise people might not understand that this incredibly complex unfinished module is unfinished. /light-hearted sarcasm

you might have to change the compatabilty of the oculus tray tool as admin, and when you start the tray tool, keep it on the desktop, dont close it out and till you are finsih playing your VR application

Thanks, will give it a shot

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

I run DCS without Oculus running. If you set the Oculus App to 'Compatibility>Run As Admin' then it doesn't start up automatically when you engage the rift. When you start DCS it will automatically start the rift hardware.

ASW prevents artifacts such as edge bleed. It doesn't create them. Do the 'Stevie Wonder' test in my post above and see for yourself.

ASW stills runs this way?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

VR Cockpit (link):

Custom Throttletek F/A-18C Throttle w/ Hall Sensors + Otto switches | Slaw Device RX Viper Pedals w/ Damper | VPC T-50 Base + 15cm Black Sahaj Extension + TM Hornet or Warthog Grip | Super Warthog Wheel Stand Pro | Steelcase Leap V2 + JetSeat SE

VR Rig:

Pimax 5K+ | ASUS ROG Strix 1080Ti | Intel i7-9700K | Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master | Corsair H115i RGB Platinum | 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3200 | Dell U3415W Curved 3440x1440

For reference I used the NP keys today and they were functioning for ASW. Just a thought, is your numlock on?

I5 6600K @4.5, Gigabyte GA-Z170XP mobo, GMMAXX GTE Cooler, MSI GTX 1080 ti Gaming X gpu (factory OC), SoundBlaster X-F1 sound card, 16 gig Corsair Vengeance ddr4 ram @ 3200 , 3 ssd hds, EVGA 650 Gold Power supply, Saitek X52 Hotas and rudders, 2 AuraSound AST-2B-4 Pro Bass Shakers, Pimax 5K+

DCS has integrated ASW, so you don't need to run the Oculus app. Within DCS CTRL+NUMPAD1 is disable, CTRL+NUMPAD2 is Lock 45 noASW, CTRL+NUMPAD3 Lock45 w/ASW, CTRL+NUMPAD4 is enable ASW.

ASW stills runs this way?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It's a good thing that this is Early Access and we've all volunteered to help test and enhance this work in progress... despite the frustrations inherent in the task with even the simplest of software... otherwise people might not understand that this incredibly complex unfinished module is unfinished. /light-hearted sarcasm

you are correct.

but i wasnt saying to set the oculus app as admin, i told the other guy to set the oculus debug tool as admin...

as explained in this youtube video

Edited by hannibal

find me on steam! username: Hannibal_A101A

http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197969447179

DCS has integrated ASW, so you don't need to run the Oculus app. Within DCS CTRL+NUMPAD1 is disable, CTRL+NUMPAD2 is Lock 45 noASW, CTRL+NUMPAD3 Lock45 w/ASW, CTRL+NUMPAD4 is enable ASW.

What if I have a tenkeyless keyboard? Is there somewhere I can rebind those that?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

VR Cockpit (link):

Custom Throttletek F/A-18C Throttle w/ Hall Sensors + Otto switches | Slaw Device RX Viper Pedals w/ Damper | VPC T-50 Base + 15cm Black Sahaj Extension + TM Hornet or Warthog Grip | Super Warthog Wheel Stand Pro | Steelcase Leap V2 + JetSeat SE

VR Rig:

Pimax 5K+ | ASUS ROG Strix 1080Ti | Intel i7-9700K | Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master | Corsair H115i RGB Platinum | 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3200 | Dell U3415W Curved 3440x1440

This just isn't true. You were talking about the UFC numbers in the A-10C. When I have ASW enabled I see some annoying artifacting here. It's gone with ASW off.

Other places it's noticeable is the canopy frame, where you sometimes get a blurred edge. I've also seen strange behaviour on building windows where they tend to warp with ASW on.

Hud elements are also prone to warping. This is especially noticeable in the Spitfire. The gunsight is completely unusable with ASW.

What ASW does tend to mitigate, is ghosting and blur when looking out at the terrain. Especially when looking to the side going at high speed, ASW provides a clearer picture.

PC Specs / Hardware: MSI z370 Gaming Plus Mainboard, Intel 8700k @ 5GHz, MSI Sea Hawk 2080 Ti @ 2100MHz, 32GB 3200 MHz DDR4 RAM

Displays: Philips BDM4065UC 60Hz 4K UHD Screen, Pimax 8KX

Controllers / Peripherals: VPC MongoosT-50, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, modded MS FFB2/CH Combatstick, MFG Crosswind Pedals, Gametrix JetSeat

Yep I never fly with ASW, always prefer to have it off. Long as my system can run it at a min of 45 fps it is pretty smooth. If fps drops much below that, then it will begin to stutter.

I just use OTT with a profile to set ASW off. Has always worked great for me.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Hannibal, I think it trickles down into related services. I just hit Win typed Ocu > Rightclick > open file location, right click on Oculus > Properties > Compatibility > Run as Admin. When I start DCS, Oculus Home doesn't start. I use the ASW in DCS.

Edited by StrongHarm

I'm not seeing that, Boris. With the settings in place referenced in OP, when I do the ASW test on the UFC, I get zero artifacts and graphical inconsistencies with ASW on but many with it off. To test windows and grids, I put an A-10 in orbit of Vegas at 1k ft and turned ASW on and off while observing exterior, same results. Try rerunning the tests with OP settings, I'd be curious to see if you get different results.

This just isn't true. You were talking about the UFC numbers in the A-10C. When I have ASW enabled I see some annoying artifacting here. It's gone with ASW off.

Other places it's noticeable is the canopy frame, where you sometimes get a blurred edge. I've also seen strange behaviour on building windows where they tend to warp with ASW on.

Hud elements are also prone to warping. This is especially noticeable in the Spitfire. The gunsight is completely unusable with ASW.

What ASW does tend to mitigate, is ghosting and blur when looking out at the terrain. Especially when looking to the side going at high speed, ASW provides a clearer picture.

I'm not seeing that, Boris. With the settings in place referenced in OP, when I do the ASW test on the UFC, I get zero artifacts and graphical inconsistencies with ASW on but many with it off. To test windows and grids, I put an A-10 in orbit of Vegas at 1k ft and turned ASW on and off while observing exterior, same results. Try rerunning the tests with OP settings, I'd be curious to see if you get different results.

I'll certainly try it, but I think you can count yourself lucky. Do you get the tearing of the gunsight in the spitfire?

PC Specs / Hardware: MSI z370 Gaming Plus Mainboard, Intel 8700k @ 5GHz, MSI Sea Hawk 2080 Ti @ 2100MHz, 32GB 3200 MHz DDR4 RAM

Displays: Philips BDM4065UC 60Hz 4K UHD Screen, Pimax 8KX

Controllers / Peripherals: VPC MongoosT-50, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, modded MS FFB2/CH Combatstick, MFG Crosswind Pedals, Gametrix JetSeat

When I start DCS, Oculus Home doesn't start. I use the ASW in DCS.

ASW isn't "in DCS" it's part of the Oculus runtime that starts when DCS starts up the hmd in VR mode. Unless I misread you there. I too, don't run OH unless I want it for something.

For reference I used the NP keys today and they were functioning for ASW. Just a thought, is your numlock on?

yeah, that's the weird part. numlock is on. I'll figure it out. Maybe it's the sculpt keyboard (has a separate numpad).

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

@hansangb

That should work L-ctl and numpad 1 to 4 check that they are not mapped in DCS maybe.

Control is an illusion which usually shatters at the least expected moment.

Gazelle Mini-gun version is endorphins with rotors. See above.

Currently rolling with a Asus Z390 Prime, 9600K, 32GB RAM, SSD, 2080Ti and Windows 10Pro, Rift CV1. bu0836x and Scratch Built Pedals, Collective and Cyclic.

Are there alternative ways to turn ASW On and Off if we don't have a numpad? (i.e. a tenkeyless keyboard)

VR Cockpit (link):

VR Rig:

Are there alternative ways to turn ASW On and Off if we don't have a numpad? (i.e. a tenkeyless keyboard)

You could try the windows on-screen keyboard. Just hit Win key then type keyb and the search should find it.

ASW isn't "in DCS" it's part of the Oculus runtime that starts when DCS starts up the hmd in VR mode. Unless I misread you there. I too, don't run OH unless I want it for something.

DCS has a hook for ASW and a specific implementation of it. You can turn it off and on within DCS without touching OH.

I'm not sure ASW is responsible for the artefacts by itself there seems to be interaction between all the graphic settings and ASW.

Seems others see the issue where the rectangles that form a grid of windows in buildings can turn into jello and dance around. This effect seems to occur as distance to said building decreases with the worst being around 30 down to 5 mtrs depending on the size of the windows (it can be any pattern not just windows). It looks to be some sort of processing. you need to get in fairly close I'm generally around 2 mtrs or so, the effect is less likely to occur from a distance. As a side note I tend not to see this with ASW off and 90 FPS but I do see the resolution of vertical edges drop as I approach suggesting some combination of processing causing this.

The other artefact that occurs with ASW on is a horizontal displacement of vertical edges when approaching buildings trees etc the displacement rapidly moves causing the object(s) vertical edges to blur significantly and depending on distance can sometimes look like double images displaced horizontally, maybe temporal.

I seem to remember the jello effect back in an earlier version 2.x.y so maybe there needs to be some optimising of the video processing code.

Just my observations from tweaking video settings.

Control is an illusion which usually shatters at the least expected moment.

Gazelle Mini-gun version is endorphins with rotors. See above.

Currently rolling with a Asus Z390 Prime, 9600K, 32GB RAM, SSD, 2080Ti and Windows 10Pro, Rift CV1. bu0836x and Scratch Built Pedals, Collective and Cyclic.

I'm not sure ASW is responsible for the artefacts by itself there seems to be interaction between all the graphic settings and ASW.

I see them all the time when ASW is on, and they are completely gone when turning it off.

i5-9600K@4.8GHz 32Gb DDR4 Asus TUF rtx3080 OC Quest Pro Warthog on Virpil base

I see them all the time when ASW is on, and they are completely gone when turning it off.

Yep same here. I always have it turned off.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|