Auxiliary gun sight ballistic tables?

Enduro14

As per by chance where are the ballistic tables for the auxiliary gunsight?

Thank you

Ps I'm basically trying to find the proper hold off for a general range of 1.5km to engage ground tgts

Sounds like a promising system. I have read page 71 in the manual just looking for actual ballistic tables

Edited by Enduro14

Intel 8700k @5ghz, 32gb ram, 1080ti, Rift S

I'm sorry.

We don't have them yet. We will publish them soon.

"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning."

"The three most dangerous things in the world are a programmer with a soldering iron, a hardware type with a program patch and a user with an idea."

• 6 months later...

Hi,

Is there anything new about the ballistic tables for the auxiliary gunsight ?

Can someone, please explain how to use it with a video ?

Where to go for the mirage 2000 C explanations about it ? The manual doesn't say enought.

Thanks for any futur answer !

Hey Zeus , is there any news on A-G mode gun sight working with TAS/RS ?

IAF.Tomer

My Rig:

Core i7 6700K + Corsair Hydro H100i GTX

Gigabyte Z170X Gaming 7,G.Skill 32GB DDR4 3000Mhz

Gigabyte GTX 980 OC

Samsung 840EVO 250GB + 3xCrucial 275GB in RAID 0 (1500 MB/s)

Asus MG279Q | TM Warthog + Saitek Combat Pedals + TrackIR 5

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Aux gunsight works, but you need the ballistic tables. They are not in the manual.

AFAIK the TAS/RS mode should show a piper where bullets will land. It does not work, the piper is in bore sight position.

:helpsmilie:

Thank you emko for your helpfull answer. I like it. :thumbup:

Is there a way to know how to use the Aux Gunsight ? even with no ballistic tables since they are not in the manual ?

Thank you again. :clap_2:

Thank you emko for your helpfull answer. I like it.

Is there a way to know how to use the Aux Gunsight ? even with no ballistic tables since they are not in the manual ?

Any balistic table for the same caliber bullet should work. The rounds are after all, ballistic. The tables are all based on a reticle depression to give you a correct solution for a given release altitude, airspeed, and dive angle. The Mirage uses twin 30 caliber cannons if I recall correctly, might be wrong about that. But you can use tables for the A-10 if they exist, though they will be a bit slow for this aircraft, a couple of the German ww2 fighters have 30 cals. Or just look around for something simular. At the very least you have a point to start from.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T707A using Tapatalk

Aurora R7 || i7K 8700K || 2TB 7200RPM SATA 6Gb/s || 2TB M.2 PCIe x4 SSD || GTX 1080 Ti with 11GB GDDR5X || Windows 10 Pro || 32GB Dual Channel DDR4 at 2667MHz || Virpil Warbird Base || Virpil T-50 Stick || Virpil MT-50 Throttle || Thrustmaster TPR Pedals || Oculus Rift

Muzzle velocity is hugely different between GAU-8, DEFA 554 and Mk 108 !

Roughly 1000/ 800/ 550 in m/s...so is the shell weight.

So the ballistic will be different.

Edited by jojo

Mirage fanatic !

I7-7700K/ MSI RTX3080/ RAM 64 Go/ SSD / TM Hornet stick-Virpil WarBRD + Virpil CM3 Throttle + MFG Crosswind + Reverb G2.

Flickr gallery: https://www.flickr.com/gp/71068385@N02/728Hbi

Muzzle velocity is hugely different between GAU-8, DEFA 554 and Mk 108 !

Roughly 1000/ 800/ 550 in m/s...so is the shell weight.

So the ballistic will be different.

OK Jojo, like I said, it will be a starting point for the guy to get a rough start. From where he can make adjustments. A lot of your post are a bit hostile and non helpful. You can help the guy out, or not, but the hostility isn't too conducive of a good community.

Aurora R7 || i7K 8700K || 2TB 7200RPM SATA 6Gb/s || 2TB M.2 PCIe x4 SSD || GTX 1080 Ti with 11GB GDDR5X || Windows 10 Pro || 32GB Dual Channel DDR4 at 2667MHz || Virpil Warbird Base || Virpil T-50 Stick || Virpil MT-50 Throttle || Thrustmaster TPR Pedals || Oculus Rift

OK Jojo, like I said, it will be a starting point for the guy to get a rough start. From where he can make adjustments. A lot of your post are a bit hostile and non helpful. You can help the guy out, or not, but the hostility isn't too conducive of a good community.

Sorry you feel that way, it was only factual...

Mirage fanatic !

I7-7700K/ MSI RTX3080/ RAM 64 Go/ SSD / TM Hornet stick-Virpil WarBRD + Virpil CM3 Throttle + MFG Crosswind + Reverb G2.

I think it is because he is succinct and to the point which is a trait of Europeans in general as opposed to say perhaps a Canadian.... eh! :lol:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

i7 10700K OC 5.1GHZ / 500GB SSD & 1TB M:2 & 4TB HDD / MSI Gaming MB / GTX 1080 / 32GB RAM / Win 10 / TrackIR 4 Pro / CH Pedals / TM Warthog

I think it is because he is succinct and to the point which is a trait of Europeans in general as opposed to say perhaps a Canadian.... eh!

Maybe you have a point there. Comes across as kurt

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Thank you emko for your helpfull answer. I like it. :thumbup:

It's easy. You have two things designated as Hausse. A switch and a rotary knob. Switch turns it on or off, rotary knob sets the deflection. The deflection is measured in mils (military miliradians, which are slightly smaller than the civilian ones ... LOL).

m2k-aux-gunsight.jpg.a88699cf8005de00c22897e4194f0793.jpg

However you need to guesstimate the depression. Like: fly a pattern, note the release altitude above target, dive angle and your airspeed. See where the bullets hit the ground, adjust the depression and try again. After couple of times, you have one setting for one pattern. Quite time consuming... esp. if you need more combinations of speed, altitude and dive angles.

And yeah, Jojo is right. I don't see any hostility in his answer, just short, factual and true ;-) . The tables are specific even for ammo type, let alone gun and caliber. They will be different for HEI and AP ammo fired from the same gun. (Are you from e.g. USA or from one of the few EU countries where sport shooting is not considered "almost illegal"? Go to a shooting range, rent two types of pistols (same caliber, the bigger the more noticeable difference; at least Cal. 45 or 9mm Luger) and buy two types of ammo. The hit points will be different for each gun for each ammo.)

Here you have an example table. The actual values for M2K will be different, but should be at least a rough ballpark where to begin with the guesstimates.

01-Checklist-025.thumb.png.25c4aab2cef2b6ef523f9e0e2d41ab50.png

Edited by emko

That back up sight isn't only used for gun. You can use it for bomb release (IRL in case of ballistic computer failure).

Since M-2000C use the same Mk 82 as F-4 Phantom or F-16, maybe we can use the tables from the manuals of these US planes.

Same bombs, same speed and same dive angle may give us the same depression angle ?

As far as I know, the F-16/ M-2000 back up sight was a standard way in F-4 Phantom :D

On the other hand, IRL a bomb within 20m of target is considered a good hit with a nominal system, both for F-16 and M-2000 from what I read.

But in DCS, a Mk 82 at 10m from truck or IFV won't do much damage.

So as fun as it sounds, it will be very difficult to be effective, and even more in DCS World...

Edited by jojo

Mirage fanatic !

I'll give it a try, it should work :) . The "old way" of bombing was the reason I decided to acquire an F-5 into my virtual hangar.

BTW how much damage IRL can do a 500lb bomb to an IFV if it explodes 20m away? (Really, sorry for dumb question, I never witnessed a Mk82 explosion and hope that never will.) IFVs are no tanks but they were made to protect infantry against such threats. 20m is quite a distance.

If the 500lb bomb is not precisely guided or I don't have a good CCIP, I always drop more of them in DCS. Killing a tank with 500lb is possible only when it's laser guided. I managed to kill IFV in Mirage CCIP with 2 bombs. Yesterday I dropped 4 from F-5 killing IFV and some soft targets - infantry 20m away had no chance.

Does anyone knows if there is a way to drop bombs manually, just for training with the aux gunsight ?

I have made a few tests, with the gun and both Mk-82 (HD and LD), using the F-5E charts in emko's post for the gun and the Mirage III charts (found them somewhere on the forum) for the bombs (but the Mk-82 charts in the F-5E manual give rather similar depression settings as far as I can tell).

For the gun, I have had rather good results using the aux gunsight. For the bombs, what I did was try to compare the CCIP pipper or the CCRP release point with the aux gunsight, and I managed to not have it wildly off ; although, it's hard to tell sometimes and I have not done a massive amount of testing either.

Here's what I did to get those results :

For the gun

Testing with the gun, I realized the gun boresight was at 43 mils, so I had to start from those 43 mils and then add the depression setting, so if the mil setting for the gun pass shows 20 mils, enter 63 mils.

As I said, I had good results with that, but I encourage you to try it. I think I "only" tried different profiles that gave 20 mils, like 10° dive, 1000 ft above target, 400 KTAS and 20° dive, 2000 ft above target and 400 KTAS.

For the bombs

The bombs have another problem, which is AoA (they are sensible to that, whereas the bullets are not). So in addition to the boresight correction (yes, I still had to use it), I corrected for the AoA, usually about 2.3° = 40 mils.

What I did was start by using the CCIP pipper to find the correct depression setting in level bombing. Then I tried to find out how to get to this setting from the charts. In all my testing, charts + AoA + boresight gave me a fair approximation of the correct setting.

I cannot test actual bomb accuracy, because I don't know how to manually release the bomb (especially in CCRP).

Ok, thank you, that's the only way in the real aircraft too ? It will drop everything at once, won't it ?

I will try that for Mk-82 later

SEL JET as an auxiliary bomb release method is not enabled yet. It won't be available in this week's update either. You will have to wait for the next update.

"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning."

"The three most dangerous things in the world are a programmer with a soldering iron, a hardware type with a program patch and a user with an idea."

SEL JET as an auxiliary bomb release method is not enabled yet. It won't be available in this week's update either. You will have to wait for the next update.

Any word from ED if there will be an update this week?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Maybe I have an old version of the M2K (but it should be updated automatically with the DCS updates, shouldn't it?), but for me, releasing the Mk82 worked. I juts turned on master ARM, selected BL1, armed fuse, set ripl and I could drop them.

I have to agree with Robin_Hood that the F-5 tables didn't work. The bombs always landed short.

1 IFV, 4 Mk82, first from F-5, then M2K.

Dive angle 20°

Release point 1 500 ft AGL

Release speed 400 kts

Reticle depression 80mil

f_5_IFV.jpg

Released a little early, but the 3rd bomb hit the roof of the IFV.

m2k_IFV.jpg

With the same parameters, the bombs landed short. Unfortunately I don't have enough time today to investigate how to improve it.

Of course there can be a mistake between a chair and a keyboard.

Edited by emko