ruprecht's pit

ruprecht

Although I normally update my pit news on pitblog, I'll re-post anything specifically related to DCS here in case it might be useful for anyone.

Latest addition: the targeting mode control panel. Just waiting on the 1.0.1 export hooks to get the lit pushbuttons responding properly.

DCS Wishlist: | Navy F-14 | Navy F/A-18 | AH-6 | Navy A-6 | Official Navy A-4 | Carrier Ops | Dynamic Campaign | Marine AH-1 |

Streaming DCS sometimes:

Hiya,

I make the panels myself. They are a 1.2mm aluminium plate for mounting the switches, then a 4mm masonite plate, to which is spray-glued a printed graphic, then a final coat of spray matte varnish to protect it.

The switches are all store-bought. The ones used in the targeting mode control panel have a label insert made from inkjet-printed paper. The light shines through the white areas.

DCS Wishlist: | Navy F-14 | Navy F/A-18 | AH-6 | Navy A-6 | Official Navy A-4 | Carrier Ops | Dynamic Campaign | Marine AH-1 |

Streaming DCS sometimes:

http://jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=SP0753&CATID=28&form=CAT&SUBCATID=652

I've not been able to find a datasheet for them, and there's no identifying information on the switch other than the part number which doesn't really help on google.

There are a number of options here too: http://au.farnell.com/jsp/search/results.jsp?N=1002101+500001&Ns=PRICE_PLS_018_PRICE1|0

If you're going to make panels yourself, the only power tools you need really are a drill and a jigsaw with metal and wood cutting blades. I'd recommend though that you get a cheap drill press, as they make drilling accurate holes much easier. Also check this book out.

Edited by ruprecht

Streaming DCS sometimes:

• 2 weeks later...

Just completed the PhidgetLED64 lamp driver board for my targeting mode control panel and master caution lamp.

lamps_worknig.jpg.b14f38191e86b58da6ae6b8967e1dbc7.jpg

pl64ldv2.gif.8655ac71a11bdb4540b57482935539b9.gif

board2.jpg.7163850a9f1ec188c1aa209d594f9239.jpg

Streaming DCS sometimes:

You burn your own PCBs? Man am I behind the times, or I've seriously fallen out. Anyone remember when you could walk into a Radio Shack and ask the person behind the counter how to build these circuits and they could lead you to everything you needed right there in the store.

Yup - it's a lot more intimidating than it is difficult once you've done it a couple of times. The actual toner transfer and etching is more art than science and needs a bit of trial and error.

"Electronics" stores are more likely to be staffed with disinterested part time college students now, who wouldn't know a resistor from a microcontroller. Dick Smiths in Oz has gone a bit that way, but we're lucky that Jaycar still seems to make sure a few actual enthusiasts are on staff.

Streaming DCS sometimes:

Bog standard Press'n'Peel blue.

P%27nP.jpg

I used to get rubbish results too, but I switched from using the iron to clamping it in the oven for 30 minutes. Much, much tidier, and that's using .03in traces (and the writing is obviously much smaller than that too).

Described it here: http://pitblog.radsy.com/archives/00000242.htm

Edited by ruprecht

Streaming DCS sometimes:

• 3 weeks later...

Just finished my Weapon System Control Panel.

Pretty happy with the results! Though I think performance will increase a bunch when I refactor it for UDP instead of TCP.

Only problem is I can't run my custom C# driver client on the sim rig, possibly something to do with Win7_64. It runs fine over the network to my XP_32 machine. Any ideas? Do I have to compile specifically for 64 bit, or is it a User Access Control issue or something? I install it as administrator, but it fails install and I can't even run the .exe directly, silently crashes every time.

Streaming DCS sometimes: