Early Access vs Release?

Wizard_03

I would like to open a thread for discussion on early access, I have been using DCS for a while and I myself am noticing a pattern emerging...Modules are released as early access with a list of features pending for release, often with no ETA as to when they will be out of early access. Huge Bug lists develop and people get mad. ex Mi-8, M2000, MiG-21, ect.

Now before someone starts talking about the uncertain world of software development. I would Just like to pose the question?

Do we as members of the community like early access? Or would we rather the developers take longer on products and only release them complete?

Now I'm not asking the devs to change anything, just want to have thread where people can politely share their opinion on this subject..

DCS F/A-18C :sorcerer:

The Early Access is part of a faster development for a completed module with the community to find bugs and let the developers know about them and help them to get these sorted out.

I know if I want to take part on the EA or not and wait till its completed state is reached.

• ED Team

Personally I like early access and I will always take it, if it is an aircraft I am interested in.

Of course I see these aircraft a lot earlier than the early access and enjoy the testing and seeing the development process. It is complex and requires a lot of hard work.

If you don't like bugs, W.I.P, and missing features skip early access and wait for release or when you are happy the aircraft meets your expectations.

Many of us have different expectations and get enjoyment in different ways from each aircraft, so do some research before jumping in, it will save a lot of frustration and bitterness in the long run.

I will also add, I like early access for the discount as well, I get to use these aircraft for free, but I also like to support the devs, so the lower price is a win for me and the dev.

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

Do we as members of the community like early access? Or would we rather the developers take longer on products and only release them complete?

First, what does "complete" mean? Does it mean bug free? With such a complex piece of software, practically impossible to achieve.

Does "complete" mean feature complete? How many "complete" modules we have at the moment? I say zero, because a lot of stuff is not fully modeled, because either it's classified or it's too demanding performance wise.

Early access gives financial boost to developers, exposes the module to much wider tester base, which should improve the development. And it gives me the chance to get my hands on it sooner rather than later, even though it's buggy and incomplete. :D

What BIGNEWY said. I also take EA whenever possible. I don't like to wait, so I'm happy if I can get my hands on a new birds earlier and don't have to wait untill release. It also gives me the opportunity to get in touch with the devs during development where changes are more likely than after release.

So yes, I love Early Access!

And as there is nothing negative about it for us players, I don't see why it shouldn't be there. If someone doesn't like unfinished products, he can just wait for release, just like if there would be no EA.

Edited by QuiGon

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

Early access can be a great thing, for both the dev and the end user. However, it can also be abused when it takes many years to see it become feature complete (bugs not withstanding). Take the Huey for example. It is long since out of early access but it is not feature complete and even the manual is still incomplete nearly five years from initial release.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

Question is phrased silly.

The Community is not a single entity, a 'We' as you stated above.

The Community is made up of thousands of individual members, each with their own preferences , said preferences all as important as the next and obviously all different.

I prefer early access. Another member does not.

That's irrelevant.

What is important is that ED provides the choice.

Partake in early access or not. That's the choice I want afforded. Liking it or not is irrelevant. What matters is that I have the ability to choose.

Novice or Veteran looking for an alternative MP career?

Click me to commence your Journey of Pillage and Plunder!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

'....And when I get to Heaven, to St Peter I will tell....

One more Soldier reporting Sir, I've served my time in Hell......'

• ED Team

Anyone in this community has the choice for either. You either buy into early access, and understand that features may be missing and more issues may show up. Or you can wait till the module is feature compete and released. Not sure why we need to have a discussion about it, everyone is different, and I am glad we have two choices in the matter.

64Sig.png
Forum RulesMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine#0440• **How to Report a Bug**

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png

From this year on, I adopt a "zero cents on early access from me" policy.

Especially the release model of omitting systems and weapons on some platforms until a TBD date after EA is something I will not spend money on, even for supporting the development.

That said, I still do see why would companies want to follow EA route, and why they actually may even need it.

For every hardcore detractor, you'll get a hardcore fanboy, there is no such thing as a homogenous "we" regarding the community, and even if there was, this isn't necessarily a democracy: majority of community liking or disliking early access probably will not have any impact on the reasons why early access exists in the first place.

Wishlist: F-4E Block 53 +, MiG-27K, Su-17M3 or M4, AH-1F or W circa 80s or early 90s, J35 Draken, Kfir C7, Mirage III/V

DCS-Dismounts Script

So to clarify, my stance is. Bugs are one thing, I’m fine helping with the bug hunting process and I agree that with any new product your gonna have bugs. Simple as that, they may take a while to fix and that’s whatever, totally understand.

But am I ok with totally missing features and systems?...that’s something else. And that’s what I would like to ask the community..again not wanting to be mean or anything, just would like to know other community members opinions

Edited by Wizard_03

DCS F/A-18C :sorcerer:

I have only had access to the completed products because I use STEAM version of DCS World. My only complaint about early access is that it is not available through the STEAM distribution and as such I can't enjoy the earlier WIP release of a new module... For example the AV8B or F/A-18

But am I ok with totally missing features and systems?...that’s something else.

Early access can never be feature-complete.

Novice or Veteran looking for an alternative MP career?

Click me to commence your Journey of Pillage and Plunder!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

'....And when I get to Heaven, to St Peter I will tell....

One more Soldier reporting Sir, I've served my time in Hell......'