AV8B Harrier Panels

Brewnix

Any updates? I am building a harrier front panel and was wondering how off I am with the dimension

Marc..

So I don't have the true measurements' but I have best guess eyeball measurements. My UFC is going to be 145mm wide and 148mm tall. I'm not 100% complete with the drawings. Should I post what I have already or wait until completely done?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Well all have to make certain adjustments / artistic freedom with the materials we have to work with. The Harrier Manual is on the net. If you blow the picture up to 400% at Kinkos it’s going to be pretty close to what you are trying to accomplish. The set I had made for the Hornet resulted in the standard panel width being spot on. Have fun you are breaking new ground. If you want to tweak the prints see if can gain access to a static model and take a couple measurements for reference to adjust the zoom %. Can’t wait to see what you come up with.

So I don't have the true measurements' but I have best guess eyeball measurements. My UFC is going to be 145mm wide and 148mm tall. I'm not 100% complete with the drawings. Should I post what I have already or wait until completely done?

145mm X 148mm I guess that is without the warning light? Mine is 155mm wide x 150mm high

The 26 buttons are 16mm x 16mm (keypad)

And that's what it looks like for dimension

harrier%20ufc1_zpsyotf4zlz.jpg

As you can see, still a work in progress

Marc..

145mm X 148mm I guess that is without the warning light? Mine is 155mm wide x 150mm high

The 26 buttons are 16mm x 16mm (keypad)

And that's what it looks like for dimension

harrier%20ufc1_zpsyotf4zlz.jpg

As you can see, still a work in progress

Marc..

I´m sorry if you previously mentioned it, but where did you find those knobs for the Comms radio channel selector? are they 3D printed?

i5 8400 | 32 Gb RAM | RTX 2080Ti | Virpil Mongoose T-50 base w/ Warthog & Hornet sticks | Warthog throttle | Cougar throttle USB | DIY Collective | Virpil desk mount | VKB T-Rudder Mk IV | Oculus Rift S | Buddy-Fox A-10 UFC | 3x TM MFDs | 2x bass shakers pedal plate| SIMple SIMpit chair | WinWing TakeOff panel | PointCTRL v2 | Andre JetSeat | Winwing Hornet UFC | Winwing Viper ICP

FC3 - Warthog - F-5E - Harrier - NTTR - Hornet - Tomcat - Huey - Viper - C-101 - PG - Hip - SuperCarrier - Syria - Warthog II - Hind - South Atlantic - Sinai - Strike Eagle

Hello all! This topic grabbed my interest and I had to jump in. I took the diagram for the TAV-8B from the NATOPS manual (as it appears to use the same DDI from the F-18 in the Open Hornet project) and dropped it in Fusion 360 so I could get some measurements.

I "calibrated" the image from the Open Hornet dimensions in 360. From what I've seen, the Open Hornet dimensions appear to be right on, so if the NATOPS diagrams are to be trusted (which is not always the case) the UFC shows as a rounded 135mm X 144mm. I pulled a bunch of pictures this evening to try to compare, but it will most likely be tomorrow before I jump on it. Work will most likely be slow tomorrow so I may spend some time making the UFC in 360 with these dimensions.

-Quentin

AV8Test.thumb.png.1d6fbf2e3dfcbf119574b414fc76bf1b.png

@Marcq, Very nice! I have not even thought about the warning lights. Originally I was going to 3d print the whole panel. So I was designing around printing it. but then I found there is a maker space where live so I might try to cnc router it out here's a pic of my UFC. This technically might be to wide though. I am still moving stuff around and still have to figure out how I'm going to add the buttons and the displays. So I have some pics I placed on imgbb if they don't work let me know

https://ibb.co/mHLc4vv

https://ibb.co/KxwN2Ps

https://ibb.co/BZhXLRz

https://ibb.co/fHrHjhr

Edited by Brewnix

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Hello all! This topic grabbed my interest and I had to jump in. I took the diagram for the TAV-8B from the NATOPS manual (as it appears to use the same DDI from the F-18 in the Open Hornet project) and dropped it in Fusion 360 so I could get some measurements.

I "calibrated" the image from the Open Hornet dimensions in 360. From what I've seen, the Open Hornet dimensions appear to be right on, so if the NATOPS diagrams are to be trusted (which is not always the case) the UFC shows as a rounded 135mm X 144mm. I pulled a bunch of pictures this evening to try to compare, but it will most likely be tomorrow before I jump on it. Work will most likely be slow tomorrow so I may spend some time making the UFC in 360 with these dimensions.

-Quentin

This is a good idea wondering can you share on how you placed this in 360 and calibrated the pic. I am still learning 360 and could use the extra tricks!

Edited by Brewnix

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

This is a good idea wondering can you share on how you placed this in 360 and calibrated the pic. I am still learning 360 and could use the extra tricks!

Sure! Here is a video from Autodesk that shows how to calibrate an image:

${1}

Once you calibrate to something that is of known size in the NATOPS diagrams (the DDI in my case) the easiest way that I know of to find other sizes in the image is to make a new sketch. Within that sketch draw around whatever panel or gauge you are trying to find the size of and it should show you the correct dimensions. Of course, this completely relies on the accuracy of the NATOPS diagram.

Quentin

I´m sorry if you previously mentioned it, but where did you find those knobs for the Comms radio channel selector? are they 3D printed?

I made those using Rivet nut and some epoxy for the shape of it

https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/hapages/rivetnuts.php?gclid=CjwKCAiA8K7uBRBBEiwACOm4dwbsISRdpeqb-n4tmcACtR_eFv63mxSRY5ht0VrYgfvDMHAg4QFvJhoC73QQAvD_BwE

Marc..

@Marcq, Very nice! I have not even thought about the warning lights. Originally I was going to 3d print the whole panel. So I was designing around printing it. but then I found there is a maker space where live so I might try to cnc router it out here's a pic of my UFC. This technically might be to wide though. I am still moving stuff around and still have to figure out how I'm going to add the buttons and the displays. So I have some pics I placed on imgbb if they don't work let me know

https://ibb.co/mHLc4vv

https://ibb.co/KxwN2Ps

https://ibb.co/BZhXLRz

https://ibb.co/fHrHjhr

Nice!! I wish I had those when I first started the project, from those drawing I can tell I'm off on some panel, maybe all of them but at least I think it will look like a Harrier front panel

Are you going to use TM mfd's ?

Marc..

-Quentin

Interesting!!

Marc..

Nice!! I wish I had those when I first started the project, from those drawing I can tell I'm off on some panel, maybe all of them but at least I think it will look like a Harrier front panel

Are you going to use TM mfd's ?

Marc..

No I don't want to use the TM mfd's I feel there too small. My plan was to build my own mfd and try to place buttons and run acouple shift register boards. I had a idea that I was going to use one big monitor for the dash with the cut out overlay for MFD and other parts of the dash like use helios or Ikarus. But to make a whole mfd with enough room for wires and section to hold the tactile buttons is tough to design. Once I get something built I guess it will all fall together. I still plan to 3d print the boxes for the panels and the UFC. I also have a hud I bought off of ebay from a guy who 3d printed it. Ill get a pic of that up.

Not sure how well this will work but I plan to use this for the hud.

https://ibb.co/ysw5fxX

Edited by Brewnix

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

My suggestion is to read the specs (MS25212 for panels, MS33556, MS33638, and MS33639 for gauges), they will give you solid reference dimensions.

Also, it's better to dimension in imperial units. E.g. if you use a photo for reference and you estimate a dimension at 64mm, it might seem right to round it to 65mm. But since it'a an american part, it's more likely to be 63.5 (2.5").

My suggestion is to read the specs (MS25212 for panels, MS33556, MS33638, and MS33639 for gauges), they will give you solid reference dimensions.

Also, it's better to dimension in imperial units. E.g. if you use a photo for reference and you estimate a dimension at 64mm, it might seem right to round it to 65mm. But since it'a an american part, it's more likely to be 63.5 (2.5").

I completely agree and I went that way. While I was doing some research i found a picture of a bare cockpit showing that there were DZUS rails behind the UFC. As such I believe the UFC to actually be 5.75" wide and 6" tall.

I worked out the rest of the measurements and tossed them together in Fusion 360. The result is attached. I haven't placed the buttons or shelled out the panel yet as I need to decide what switches and potentiometers/rotary encoders I am going to use.

Quentin

UFCrender.thumb.png.45aefa6b24739eea20e804a7dc347818.png

I completely agree and I went that way. While I was doing some research i found a picture of a bare cockpit showing that there were DZUS rails behind the UFC. As such I believe the UFC to actually be 5.75" wide and 6" tall.

I worked out the rest of the measurements and tossed them together in Fusion 360. The result is attached. I haven't placed the buttons or shelled out the panel yet as I need to decide what switches and potentiometers/rotary encoders I am going to use.

Quentin

Thanks for the video on calibrating. Ill have to watch that!

Your panel looks awesome! I am curious what's your game plan for construction, a cnc router maybe 3d printing?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Thanks for the video on calibrating. Ill have to watch that!

Your panel looks awesome! I am curious what's your game plan for construction, a cnc router maybe 3d printing?

While I have both a 3D printer and a laser cutter I think this panel lends itself to be printed due to the finger guards between the buttons. I prefer the look of the laser cut panels though so I will probably do the rest with that. Hopefully I’ll have some time this weekend to work out dimensions on a few more panels and get them drawn up.

While I have both a 3D printer and a laser cutter I think this panel lends itself to be printed due to the finger guards between the buttons. I prefer the look of the laser cut panels though so I will probably do the rest with that. Hopefully I’ll have some time this weekend to work out dimensions on a few more panels and get them drawn up.

Cool

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I didn’t realize you had added your panels to the beginning of the thread! I will have to check those out this evening.

Ya just to give some content to the thread. I have seen the great work done on yours and tea_cyphers panels I might change mine again. There are not to spec and I built them to match the width of the warthog throttle until I figure out how to make actual throttle plate for my pit. I have a 3d printer and I am working on a cnc router/engraver. I got it 90% built I have to finish a few mechanicals things on it and then finalize the electronics! Here's a couple of pics.

IMG-1471.jpg

Edited by Brewnix

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Looks great! A CNC router is definitely next on my list of purchases. Many an early Christmas gift for myself.

As I said, I'm going to try to work out some more dimensions. Now that I think of it, Ill see what I come up with before I look at yours so I don't skew my results. :megalol: Then we can compare and get closer to realism. Are you planning on using the Warthog as your throttle or building your own version of AV8 throttle?

Well my goal was to make the panels the same size as the warthog cause I will be using that for now. Just for the simpilicity of building it and swapping the throttle out later I have made acouple of attempts to draw the harrier throttle but I keep running into the problem I don't know how I'm going to make the throttle and nozzle mechanics. I feel I need to iron that out first.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Bren, you are welcome to my panels as i produce them, I would really look at that design guide I linked earlier, as it sets a standard that works well.

I am disgning in metric based on 12mm switches at the moment.

I am presently working up the fuel switch panel, will look a little different to game as I am refering to a picture from a spannish av8b+ as my guide

Edited by tea_cypher

Ahhh! I appreciate you posting the link, I guess back to the drawing board. I didn't read it the first time so after your comment about setting the standard I reread accouple of pages and realize that I should redo the sizing and screw wholes at least. By this measurements easy to make panels to close to correct size. Thanks for pointing that out flew over my head.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Bren, you are welcome to my panels as i produce them, I would really look at that design guide I linked earlier, as it sets a standard that works well.

I am disgning in metric based on 12mm switches at the moment.

I am presently working up the fuel switch panel, will look a little different to game as I am refering to a picture from a spannish av8b+ as my guide

Ok so I took your advise followed the instruction on the PDF. I redid 2 panels maybe take a peek. See how close I got. I kept the lettering maybe moved them around a bit after following the DZUS sizing I needed to true the lettering to new panel size.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]