Building my first panel. Help? Lol

strike277

Hi All,

I'm wanting to build my first panel. I'd like to start with the VHF Radio panel in the A10C. Other than purchasing panel it's self

http://pcflights.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=47_62_63&products_id=386

What else do I need? I need a list of goods and guidance on how to put it all together. Once I have everything I need, (Guidance included) I'll document the process here step by step to help others.

Complete NOOB at this, so please be gentle :smilewink:

Thanks.

Your Search-Fu is far better than mine!

strike277, you'll need a few things. I'm going to assume you're not going to design your own PCBs, so I'll skip that one.

You'll need a USB device so your buttons can interact with your PC. Common choices are Leo Bodnar, DSD (Derek Speare) and GP-WIZ. I'd go with the first two over the GP-WIZ as it gives you more buttons and more flexibility. You can buy boards that require soldering and those that don't. Personal choice.

Then you'll need some rotary, buttons, toggles etc. To get an idea of what's required (which isn't too much) go to Youtube and watch the videos made by TigersharkBAS. That should be enough to get you going. He has one that covers the different switches like SPST and SPDT etc. Don't worry, it's not as bad as it sounds! Best of luck.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

strike277, you'll need a few things. I'm going to assume you're not going to design your own PCBs, so I'll skip that one.

You'll need a USB device so your buttons can interact with your PC. Common choices are Leo Bodnar, DSD (Derek Speare) and GP-WIZ. I'd go with the first two over the GP-WIZ as it gives you more buttons and more flexibility. You can buy boards that require soldering and those that don't. Personal choice.

Then you'll need some rotary, buttons, toggles etc. To get an idea of what's required (which isn't too much) go to Youtube and watch the videos made by TigersharkBAS. That should be enough to get you going. He has one that covers the different switches like SPST and SPDT etc. Don't worry, it's not as bad as it sounds! Best of luck.

Thanks. Yep watch Tigersharks stuff before. I want to go with Adruino. My issue is how to mount and interface the displays so everything fits. Do I mount them to a pcb board? If so, what one?(7 segment displays?) Interfacing the buttons and such seems pretty straight forward. And what about back lighting? So many variables. I plan on using DCs-Bios .

The slot for the 20 Chanel preset selector has been cut in the panel so getting it to work may be a challenge the knobs are available on my knob site for the time being. I am just on my phone wile on a vacation. So I can't post any pictures. This is not the easiest panel to get fully functional

https://www.shapeways.com/shops/a-10c-warthog-supplies

https://forum.dcs.world/topic/133818-deadmans-cockpit-base-plans/#comment-133824

CNCs and Laser engravers are great but they can't do squat with out a precise set of plans.

The slot for the 20 Chanel preset selector has been cut in the panel so getting it to work may be a challenge the knobs are available on my knob site for the time being. I am just on my phone wile on a vacation. So I can't post any pictures. This is not the easiest panel to get fully functional

Thanks Deadman. I've sent a message to Jim Wall (Warthog) for some help as well. I don't know if he's still on the forums or not. The last post I saw from him was 2015. I'm determined to do it. I just want to build this one to see if I can.

But again, What Displays do I use? I know I want green, and they're Seven Segment? Do I mount them on a PCB? If so, what PCB do I use? The guy "Joesim" On Youtube and another on "CraigS" say using the max7219 chip is the way to go to drive the Segs. So many questions.

Wait a second, Someone correct me if I'm wrong, But this is the board the Seg's are mounted to for interface?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/8-Digit-LED-Display-MAX7219-7-Segment-Digital-Tube-For-Arduino-Raspberry-Pi/172417734981?var=471250330321&hash=item2824e5d945:g:R0oAAOSwx6pYnEC9

And I have to buy the Green Seg's separate and mount them to the above board? Is that correct?

Edited by strike277

The board you linked is the cheapest way I know to get a MAX7219 chip. You can use it as-is if the size and color of the displays it comes with fits your needs, or you can desolder the existing 7-segment displays and just use the board as a cheap "MAX7219 breakout board".

If the pinouts and size match, you can solder your replacement displays to the same board. Otherwise I'd recommend stripboard / veroboard like CraigS did

The MAX7219 is definitely the way to go for driving 7-segment displays.

7-segment displays come in two variants: common anode and common cathode. The MAX7219 needs the common cathode type.

If you want to learn more about what the MAX7219 does, you can read its datasheet. I recommend taking a look at it even if you don't understand much of it -- over time you'll get used to how datasheets are laid out and be able to find the information you need when designing a new circuit.

With the Max7219 chip you can built this :

The code I use :

#define DCSBIOS_IRQ_SERIAL
#include <DcsBios.h> 
#include <LedControl.h>
unsigned long previousMillis = 0;
unsigned long currentMillis = millis();

// Arduino Pin 5 to DIN, 7 to Clk, 6 to LOAD, no.of devices is 1
LedControl lc=LedControl(5,7,6,1);

void setup()
{
 DcsBios::setup();
// Initialize the MAX7219 device
 lc.shutdown(0,false);   // Enable display
 lc.setIntensity(0,5);  // Set brightness level (0 is min, 15 is max)
 lc.clearDisplay(0);     // Clear display register

}

DcsBios::Switch2Pos eppApuGenPwr("EPP_APU_GEN_PWR", 10);

void onMasterCautionChange(unsigned int newValue) 
 {
   if (newValue==1)
   {
   previousMillis = currentMillis;
   }   
 }

DcsBios::IntegerBuffer masterCautionBuffer(0x1012, 0x0800, 11, onMasterCautionChange);

void loop()
 {
 currentMillis = millis();

if (currentMillis - previousMillis < 400)
   {
   lc.setRow(0,7,B01110110);
   lc.setRow(0,6,B01110111);
   lc.setRow(0,5,B01011011);
   lc.setRow(0,4,B00001111);
   lc.setRow(0,3,B01001111);
   lc.setRow(0,2,B00000101);
   lc.setRow(0,1,B10000000);
   lc.setRow(0,0,B01001110);
   }

else     
   {
   lc.setRow(0,7,B01011011);
   lc.setRow(0,6,B00111011);
   lc.setRow(0,5,B11011011);
   lc.setRow(0,4,B00000000);
   lc.setRow(0,3,B01111110);
   lc.setRow(0,2,B01010111);
   lc.setRow(0,1,B00000000);
   lc.setRow(0,0,B00000000);
   }

DcsBios::loop();

}

The important part is :

#include <LedControl.h>

LedControl lc=LedControl(5,7,6,1); // Arduino Pin 5 to DIN, 7 to Clk, 6 to LOAD, no.of devices is 1

lc.shutdown(0,false); // Enable display

lc.setIntensity(0,5); // Set brightness level (0 is min, 15 is max)

lc.clearDisplay(0); // Clear display register

lc.setRow is for controling every segment but there are others command like this.

lc.setDigit

lc.setLed

lc.setChar

etc..

Ian, Rodger Thank you So much. Looking at them now. I just cannot believe how incredibly cheap it is to do these things. Tech has come a long long way.

So a List of parts that I'll need are:

Face plate. http://pcflights.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=47_62_63&products_id=386 Plus knobs.

Max7249 Chip With possible breakout boards: https://www.ebay.com/itm/8-Digit-LED-Display-MAX7219-7-Segment-Digital-Tube-For-Arduino-Raspberry-Pi/172417734981?var=471250330321&hash=item2824e5d945:g:R0oAAOSwx6pYnEC9

Green Seven segment Displays that are common cathode type: Still looking fir these.

Adruino Uno? https://www.amazon.com/Elegoo-Board-ATmega328P-ATMEGA16U2-Arduino/dp/B01EWOE0UU/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?ie=UTF8&qid=1509558573&sr=8-1-spons&keywords=arduino+uno+-+r3&psc=1

Rotary switches ? Type?

Can I possibly use an LCD instead of SEGS? What do you guys think? How would that change the interface? https://www.ebay.com/itm/0-91-IIC-I2C-SPI128x32-White-OLED-LCD-Display-Module-For-Arduino-PIC-/172435137027?_trksid=p5731.m3795

I left a message on Craig S's video to ask about his part's list.

Edited by strike277
Updating list of parts.

My initial though is you have too few pins;

Volumen: 1 analog input OR 2 digital inputs (encoder)

Tone/Sq: 2 digital inputs

Freq selection dial: 3 or 4 digital inputs

Freq Mode: 2 or 3 digital inputs

Preset wheel: 2 digital inputs (encoder)

Freq selection: 8 digital inputs (encoder)

That 19 digital inputs or 17 inputs plus one analog. Then you also need to run the 7-segment. You cannot use pin 0 and 1 on the Arduino since they are used for USB communication. The analogs can be used as digital but then you still only have 18 available which leave you none for the 7-segment. There are ways to expand the pins but I have not ventured down that road yet.

Personally I would go for a Mega for this panel as it has plenty of pins and only cost about two Nano on Ebay from China. Price is about half of the one you listed.

Can an LCD be used instead of 7-segment. Yes just take a look here;

As mentioned earlier this is not the simplest panel to start with. I would suggest start with a less complicated panel to get a feel for DCS-BIOS and the hardware.

Cheers

Solo

My initial though is you have too few pins;

Volumen: 1 analog input OR 2 digital inputs (encoder)

Tone/Sq: 2 digital inputs

Freq selection dial: 3 or 4 digital inputs

Freq Mode: 2 or 3 digital inputs

Preset wheel: 2 digital inputs (encoder)

Freq selection: 8 digital inputs (encoder)

That 19 digital inputs or 17 inputs plus one analog. Then you also need to run the 7-segment. You cannot use pin 0 and 1 on the Arduino since they are used for USB communication. The analogs can be used as digital but then you still only have 18 available which leave you none for the 7-segment. There are ways to expand the pins but I have not ventured down that road yet.

Personally I would go for a Mega for this panel as it has plenty of pins and only cost about two Nano on Ebay from China. Price is about half of the one you listed.

Can an LCD be used instead of 7-segment. Yes just take a look here;

As mentioned earlier this is not the simplest panel to start with. I would suggest start with a less complicated panel to get a feel for DCS-BIOS and the hardware.

Cheers

Solo

AtMega 2560?

https://www.amazon.com/SunFounder-ATmega2560-16AU-Board-compatible-Arduino/dp/B00D9NA4CY/ref=sr_1_2_sspa?ie=UTF8&qid=1509630543&sr=8-2-spons&keywords=arduino+mega&psc=1

The Uno will work fine with DCS-BIOS. But for the purposes of building a simpit, I'd use an Arduino Nano instead. It's basically an Uno in a smaller form factor. You get two additional analog-only pins (A6 and A7) because it uses a SMD package for the microcontroller. It's cheaper because it uses a smaller PCB and less through-hole components which have to be manually soldered (the mini USB jack on the Nano is surface-mount and it does not have a barrel jack for V_in). The Nano can also be plugged straight into a breadboard.

The only disadvantage of the Nano is that you cannot attach Arduino Shields, but you won't need to do that anyway.

If you want to play around with Arduino Shields (which can be great for learning about Arduino or for quick prototypes), get a Mega 2560. It's only slightly more expensive than the Uno, has a lot more I/O pins, and can be used as an RS-485 bus master for DCS-BIOS.