Blank Slate: Best Plane to Learn from Scratch in VR?

Ryder35

HI

I have bounced off DCS since the original flaming cliffs and have now got back into things in VR. Tried Baltic Dragons sample training mission for the A10 and realised that my preferred method of learning is this style of guided learning, preferably in v2 alpha.

So here is the question, what do you think is the best plane/helo to learn solely in VR. I want to be able to jump into training missions and use the manual as a reference, rather than have to build missions and read all of the manual to progress. I also want to be able to put what I have learned into practice in a great campaign.

Equipment wise I have an i7 8700 and 1080ti 32 gb memory etc. Warthog and CV1 (Pimax coming Jan!) On;y weak point is I am using Fanatec racing pedals as rudder. Works OK until I can convince myself to change my Vesaro seat to flight only.

Thanks for any and all advice.

Huey is wonderful in VR. I know there is the Argo mission and a few others.

But as far as training goes, I highly recommend On the Range series by Bunyap on YouTube. Short 20-30m videos that are right on point.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

I have every flyable DCS module. I have flown most in VR. I have to agree with hansangb. The UH-1H is simply amazing in VR. The increased vertical field of view is what makes it so special. You can see forward, the instrument panel, and the lower view windows all at the same time as well as a horizontal wide field of view. The sense of being in the cockpit and ability to sense/react to small changes allows you to fly much better. Compared to the Mi-8, the UH-1H is easier to learn/manage. But if you want more of a challenge, the Mi-8 might be a better option. Other than the difference in the flight models and control panels, I consider the UH-1 and Mi-8 to be the same, as in equally fun/interesting to fly. The lower resolution causes all kinds of problems for fixed wing aircraft, but hardly bothers me at all in the helos because of the amazing immersion.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

as others have said.

the helicopters use the advantages of VR the best.

and suffer from the least disadvantage.

if you want a plane. then go for the older ones. that require more from the pilot.

then the spatial awareness given by VR is a bonus.

so anything without a HUD or glass cockpit.

ww2 birds are far easier to take off/land in VR.

the mig 21 is glorious.

the su27, A10c, ka 50 and f15c are kind of annoying. because you need to use the hud and mfd's

and therefore run into some of VR's problems. poor image quality.

so I have hardly flown the modern stuff since I got VR.

and I haven't really missed it.

most of the helicopter campaigns are in 1.5 rather than 2.1 but that's not a problem as 1.5 is better in VR.

My Rig: AM5 7950X, 32GB DDR5 6000, M2 SSD, EVGA 1080 Superclocked, Warthog Throttle and Stick, MFG Crosswinds, Oculus Rift.

Very much agree with the comments already added. I love flying my Huey in VR, and as it's less of a combat aircraft than most, the resolution issues are not as much of an issue.

Have to say that I'm currently going through the campaign for the P51 (the free one with the aircraft). Really enjoying that and as an aircraft, I find the P51 the most relaxing of the WW2 aircraft to fly.

System: 9700, 64GB DDR4, 2070S, NVME2, Rift S, Jetseat, Thrustmaster F18 grip, VPC T50 stick base and throttle, CH Throttle, MFG crosswinds, custom button box, Logitech G502 and Marble mouse.

Server: i5 2500@3.9Ghz, 1080, 24GB DDR3, SSD.

Also, there is a sticky thread DCS World Guide for All things VR that I would highly recommend. It goes over the settings to make HUD reading not much of a problem. And remember, Rift *has* a sweet spot. So take the time to move the HMD around because there is a big difference when you get to the sweet spot.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

Hawk

Derek "BoxxMann" Speare

derekspearedesigns.com 25,000+ Gaming Enthusiasts Trust DSD Components to Perform!

i7-11700k 4.9g | RTX3080ti (finally!)| 64gb Ram | 2TB NVME PCIE4| Reverb G1 | CH Pro Throt/Fighterstick Pro | 4 DSD Boxes

Falcon XT/AT/3.0/4.0 | LB2 | DCS | LOMAC

Been Flight Simming Since 1988!

Useful VR settings and tips for DCS HERE

I have the Huey, the Mi-8, the Gazelle, the A-10C, the F-86 etc.

The best campaign with a built-in learning curve is the Mi-8.

Each mission usually introduces you to one new element. You start off with basic easy flights and then ... well, things get a little more tough

The Spitfire is an incredibly immersive bird,and should be easier in VR because of simple systems.

the spitfire is great in VR.

you realise how small the cockpit really is.

and I understand why it has the half door :)

I feel like I would need it open to get my shoulders in.

I once heard an American veteran, who flew both spitfires and American fighters.

say " you climb into an American fighter, like the p51. but you put on the spitfire like a suit."

and I finally get what he is going on about. the spitfire feels like a second skin.

and with the ground crew having to strap you in, because there isn't enough room to move your elbows. its like being at the tailors...

the p51 is nice and roomy :)

the guy went to berlin and back in photo recon spitfires.

• Like 1

My Rig: AM5 7950X, 32GB DDR5 6000, M2 SSD, EVGA 1080 Superclocked, Warthog Throttle and Stick, MFG Crosswinds, Oculus Rift.

On the WWII birds, you really appreciate why the pilots zigzagged just to be able to see. And being able to lean out the cockpit to see better is priceless.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

The Spitfire and as others have said the helicopters. My all-time favorite is the Viggen though. Sitting in that cold war era cockpit is just superlative. Once you get past the bit where you think it's complicated you start to see the genius in the simplicity of it all. Just a great VR experience and a high-quality module.

Really interesting reading others views on this.

When I bought the Viggen I learned all the systems in 2d as my Rift was RMA. I found it easier to learn the systems in 2d and then translate my learning into VR which because I knew the systems meant I did not have to constantly refer to manual and all that entails whilst using an HMD:)

But nothing beats the choppers in VR as has been said. Having a collective and cyclic also means your hands are where they are ingame which adds hugely. Worth thinking about as having a hotas will be more immersive in a plane rather than a chopper

Edited by Cibit

i5 8600k@5.2Ghz, Asus Prime A Z370, 32Gb DDR4 3000, GTX1080 SC, Oculus Rift CV1, Modded TM Warthog Modded X52 Collective, Jetseat, W10 Pro 64

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

When I bought the Viggen I learned all the systems in 2d as my Rift was RMA. I found it easier to learn the systems in 2d and then translate my learning into VR which because I knew the systems meant I did not have to constantly refer to manual and all that entails whilst using an HMD:)

But nothing beats the choppers in VR as has been said. Having a collective and cyclic also means your hands are where they are ingame which adds hugely. Worth thinking about as having a hotas will be more immersive in a plane rather than a chopper

Amen.