CASE III Night Qualifications Mission V2.0

Skyspin

Hello Everybody,

I have uploaded version 2.0 of the Case 3 Night Qualification mission that was originally posted on 08/03. In this version there are some minor fixes, additions to the briefing, and added enhancements.

I have tried to make this mission as reasonably accurate to a real CASE 3 operation as possible under the Mission Editor's capabilities.

It begins with a cold and dark start under night conditions at Al Dhafra AB and requires critical attention to the briefing and instructions.

With over 250 downloads of the original release this latest version should improve the quality of the mission.

Sincerely,

Skyspin

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3301552/

Edited by Skyspin
Link mission

I5-4670K 4.3GHZ / 32GB DDR3 / EVGA 1080TI /HP Reverb G2 / ASUS Z-97A / SAMSUNG 500 GB SSD /Thrustmaster Warthog / RAZER Tartarus / CORSAIR Void Pro Wireless/  WIN 10

Errr,

the pattern image shows a down wind go around leg to be 1200',

then a 180° 'bank on speed level turn',

which rejoins the '1 1/4 miles, 600ft top of decent' ingress,

which is, obviously, at 600ft.

You losing 600ft in the base leg,

which isn't mentioned?

(nice .miz though)

| VR goggles | Autopilot panel | Headtracker | TM HOTAS | G920 HOTAS | MS FFB 2 | Throttle Quadrants | 8600K | GTX 1080 | 64GB RAM| Win 10 x64 | Voicerecognition | 50" UHD TV monitor | 40" 1080p TV monitor | 2x 24" 1080p side monitors | 24" 1080p touchscreen |

I think you should mention in briefing that Tarawa is in the carrier group. It lights up similar to Stennis and it was rather confusing to find another ship with a light up landing strip with just a few miles to go... I kept thinking I messed something up until Stennis finally showed up. Marshall stack without any additional messages is useless IMO. I proceeded to fly straight to the carrier as there are no other planes. Perhaps adding AI planes and/or having some scripted messages/comms would work better? I'm also not sure on the procedure of what to do after the landing; adding description on what to do would be helpful - it's probably somewhere in NATOPS manual, but I don't have one so I did not know if I should fly back to Marshall stack and proceed back to carrier from there or if there is some kind of alternative pattern.

Good mission nonetheless.

P.S. Is there a flashlight or some other source of light in Hornet, prior to starting right engine and turning on flood lights? Even knowing where the right switches are, it's hard to locate them in total darkness (at least that's what it is in VR).

I think you should mention in briefing that Tarawa is in the carrier group. It lights up similar to Stennis and it was rather confusing to find another ship with a light up landing strip with just a few miles to go... I kept thinking I messed something up until Stennis finally showed up. Marshall stack without any additional messages is useless IMO. I proceeded to fly straight to the carrier as there are no other planes. Perhaps adding AI planes and/or having some scripted messages/comms would work better? I'm also not sure on the procedure of what to do after the landing; adding description on what to do would be helpful - it's probably somewhere in NATOPS manual, but I don't have one so I did not know if I should fly back to Marshall stack and proceed back to carrier from there or if there is some kind of alternative pattern.

Good mission nonetheless.

P.S. Is there a flashlight or some other source of light in Hornet, prior to starting right engine and turning on flood lights? Even knowing where the right switches are, it's hard to locate them in total darkness (at least that's what it is in VR).

Left Alt L will turn on flashlight in the Hornet cockpit

Windows 10 Pro 64bit|Ryzen 5600 @3.8Ghz|EVGA RTX 3070 XC3 Ultra|Corair vengence 32G DDR4 @3200mhz|MSI B550|Thrustmaster Flightstick| Virpil CM3 Throttle| Thrustmaster TFRP Rudder Pedal /Samsung Odyssey Plus Headset

Hello Everybody,

Thanks for the favorable mission comments and suggestions. As I stated before I have tried to make this mission as reasonably accurate to a real CASE 3 operation as possible under the Mission Editor's capabilities. But I will work on improvements and updates.

mx22 said

I think you should mention in briefing that Tarawa is in the carrier group. It lights up similar to Stennis and it was rather confusing to find another ship with a light up landing strip with just a few miles to go... I kept thinking I messed something up until Stennis finally showed up.
Yes, it is quite bright and I considered that it might be a distraction but if flying the correct profile and on course it would soon fade from view. That is a good suggestion to consider though.

Marshall stack without any additional messages is useless IMO
Not sure what you mean..With no Live ATC, in multiplayer it can be decided between the group as to when to "PUSH".. Single Player can just go from the Marshal point whenever or fly some holding legs..Out of the chocks the Marshal point is given off the ship's tacan but no instructions are triggered at Marshal. Maybe I can add something there.

mx22, you obviously trapped ., so congratulations!

I'm also not sure on the procedure of what to do after the landing; adding description on what to do would be helpful
Well, I do know that it takes 6 night traps to qualify so you could launch and fly an abbreviated pattern similar to the wave off pattern or go back to Marshal (although that would probably require some on deck refueling). Maybe some of the Real World Hornet drivers could weigh in here about their night quals back in the day...

The flashlight in the Hornet is very, very good...

majapahit wrote:

the pattern image shows a down wind go around leg to be 1200',

then a 180° 'bank on speed level turn',

which rejoins the '1 1/4 miles, 600ft top of decent' ingress,

which is, obviously, at 600ft.

You losing 600ft in the base leg,

which isn't mentioned?

I believe its taken that you must descend to 600 feet on the base leg. Remember also that in real life you would be under the approach control and be directed when to change heading and altitude ..etc

Thanks again for suggestions and comments. I believe this mission can be improved and enjoyed and that is the purpose of flying DCS.

Sincerely,

Skyspin

I5-4670K 4.3GHZ / 32GB DDR3 / EVGA 1080TI /HP Reverb G2 / ASUS Z-97A / SAMSUNG 500 GB SSD /Thrustmaster Warthog / RAZER Tartarus / CORSAIR Void Pro Wireless/  WIN 10

Not sure what you mean..With no Live ATC, in multiplayer it can be decided between the group as to when to "PUSH".. Single Player can just go from the Marshal point whenever or fly some holding legs..Out of the chocks the Marshal point is given off the ship's tacan but no instructions are triggered at Marshal. Maybe I can add something there.

As a food for thought, check out the missions in the link below:

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=3579770&postcount=50

You guys might be grabbing audio from the same source too. No need for AI planes, just a trigger message when arriving at Marshall stack advising you when to push and your altitude. Time check message was a really nice touch too adding to the realism. Perhaps even adding some extra voice recordings along the way 'simulating' trappings by other fliers...

P.S. about subsequent trappings... I downloaded CV NAATOPS to see what it says there and looks like for bolsters, you are to climb to 1,200 feet and extend to 10miles out before turning back. This again could be spiced up with some audio recordings asking you to go back to Marshal stack...

majapahit wrote: I believe its taken that you must descend to 600 feet on the base leg. Remember also that in real life you would be under the approach control and be directed when to change heading and altitude ..etc

I've discovered said image with the Go Around is extracted from the official NATOPS manual.

So the error or perhaps omission concerning the base leg isn't your problem, its an 'official' problem in the manual, though pretty clear.

| VR goggles | Autopilot panel | Headtracker | TM HOTAS | G920 HOTAS | MS FFB 2 | Throttle Quadrants | 8600K | GTX 1080 | 64GB RAM| Win 10 x64 | Voicerecognition | 50" UHD TV monitor | 40" 1080p TV monitor | 2x 24" 1080p side monitors | 24" 1080p touchscreen |

Hello Everybody

That's good news: Deadnine wrote

Thanx for the mission ...!The first ever sucessfull nighttrap was a rush ������
Congratulations and thanks for the good comment. Yes it's quite a relief to trap after flying that approach especially in VR. What really pushes the "pucker factor" is when you do it in multiplayer with others and trying to keep it all together and real, knowing everything must be coordinated with precision to trap. I hope the airbase visuals with parked aircraft and the departing aircraft help to enhance the realism. It is very dark though.

Flamin_Squirrel wrote:

Nice mission.

A push time would be a nice addition, even if it's just given as you start to taxi.

Again thanks for the nice comment and suggestion. I will be working on suggestions and enhancements to improve this experience.

Thanks to all and I might mention that I have a combat mission uploaded (but not yet approved) that includes a CASE III recovery. I flew it in multiplayer a few days ago with a good friend and the recovery is every bit exciting as a CASE III can be.

Thanks again,

Sincerely,

Skyspin

I was asked by bpmorris in the Users files downloads comments section of this mission;

bpmorris

08/22/2018 00:39:37

This is nearly exactly what I am looking for, is it possible to publish a version of this kneeboard with a black background and white text as the current one blinds me at night in VR.

So here's what I was able to come up with..

Skyspin

336764503_USNavy_CV1_approach_to_carrier-.png.d3b0ab1770cef745f3e182895f019140.png

Case3.png.dcf605099efc0cb1ed66273e1cf3366a.png

Hello Everybody,

I've uploaded a new mission that spotlights a CASE III APPROACH on recovery from a combat mission that involves air to ground and air to air engagements.

The Initial v1.0

Link is here: https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3301740/

This mission is the second of a series of missions I'm working on that follow a story line of a conflict that flares up in the Persian Gulf.

The first mission is.

The Prelude

Link: https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3301669/

Sincerely,

Skyspin

• 4 months later...

Hello Everybody,

CASE III Night Qualifications V2.4 (UPDATED with Alerax's LSO AI Script ). I have updated this mission version with Alerax's LSO AI Script, author Alerax. With this addition gradable traps are now possible and a better sense of realism has been added.

Link: https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3301552/

Sincerely,

Skyspin

Edited by Skyspin
Clarification of subject

• 4 weeks later...

I use this mission to help in teaching Case III great mission small suggestion remove the choppers on the left. This might not be the place to ask but, is there a mod to make IFLOS light bigger I us VR (have bad sight) IO find they are hard to make out at night they blend together

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Window 10, i9-9900,2080TI, 32GB ram Puma Pro Flight Trainer, 2 x 1TB WB SSD NVMe HP Reverb

I use this mission to help in teaching Case III great mission small suggestion remove the choppers on the left. This might not be the place to ask but, is there a mod to make IFLOS light bigger I us VR (have bad sight) IO find they are hard to make out at night they blend together

Sent you the IFLOS mod in discord.

Also, here it is if anyone wants it.

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3300900/?sphrase_id=16174779

Strike

USLANTCOM.com

stepped_with_391_new_small.png

i7-9700K OC 5GHz| MSI MPG Z390 GAMING PRO CARBON | 32GB DDR4 3200 | GTX 3090 | Samsung SSD | HP Reverb G2 | VIRPIL Alpha | VIRPIL Blackhawk | HOTAS Warthog