Coolant temp much more forgiving?

Hey all,

Love all the new updates to the spit. But I've always flown it a lot and was used to having to keep an eye on the oil/coolant temps while dogfighting.

Is it me or is the coolant temp much less of an issue now? I seem to be able to just crank the engine without it getting that high.

Anyone else have thoughts?

It is mentioned in russian forum part, coolant efficiency was increased according to objective facts.

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=3556954&postcount=631

F-15E | F-14A/B

P-51D | P-47D | Mosquito FB Mk VI |Spitfire | Fw 190D | Fw 190A | Bf 109K |  WWII Assets Pack

Normandy 2 | The Channel | Sinai | Syria | PG | NTTR | South Atlantic 

F/A-18 | F-86 | F-16C | A-10C | FC-3 | CA | SC |

I don't think the difference is big, as in my first contact with CW Spit on Wednesday I promptly overheated it on the ground during mag, blower and prop check :D. There was a bit of a tailwind involved, however. Haven't tested it in the actual flight.

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

After having a proper experiment, I really like it. You can still cook the merlin, but you have to be very aggressive both with throttle and a low airspeed (i.e going vertical). I imagine that is more realistic. It's nice not having to glance to your right every few seconds in a dogfight.

Is that applicable to both versions of the Spit?

For that matter, has it also made the Mustang any better?

System: 9700, 64GB DDR4, 2070S, NVME2, Rift S, Jetseat, Thrustmaster F18 grip, VPC T50 stick base and throttle, CH Throttle, MFG crosswinds, custom button box, Logitech G502 and Marble mouse.

Server: i5 2500@3.9Ghz, 1080, 24GB DDR3, SSD.

Just for Spitfire.

F-15E | F-14A/B

P-51D | P-47D | Mosquito FB Mk VI |Spitfire | Fw 190D | Fw 190A | Bf 109K |  WWII Assets Pack

Normandy 2 | The Channel | Sinai | Syria | PG | NTTR | South Atlantic 

F/A-18 | F-86 | F-16C | A-10C | FC-3 | CA | SC |

Can climb out now with 80mph per hour full Power upwards? this drastic change from previous 180mph what was there exactly the Difference YoYo?

Once you have tasted Flight, you will forever walk the Earth with your Eyes turned Skyward.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

9./JG27

Do we think that the changes to cooling affect both versions of the Spit?

System: 9700, 64GB DDR4, 2070S, NVME2, Rift S, Jetseat, Thrustmaster F18 grip, VPC T50 stick base and throttle, CH Throttle, MFG crosswinds, custom button box, Logitech G502 and Marble mouse.

Server: i5 2500@3.9Ghz, 1080, 24GB DDR3, SSD.

Do we think that the changes to cooling affect both versions of the Spit?

Yes. At altitude it is really noticeable with more oil dilution required on both models.

One still has to pay as much attention as before but more to keep it warm enough and to keep the oil thinned out enough to keep the oil pressure within range.

The rad works much better on auto now than before.

Win 10 pro 64 bit. Intel i7 4790 4 Ghz running at 4.6. Asus z97 pro wifi main board, 32 gig 2400 ddr3 gold ram, 50 inch 4K UHD and HDR TV for monitor. H80 cpu cooler. 8 other cooling fans in full tower server case. Soundblaster ZX sound card. EVGA 1080 TI FTW3. TM Hotas Wartog. TM T.16000M MFG Crosswinds Pedals. Trackir 5.

"Everyone should fly a Spitfire at least once" John S. Blyth

I am not complaining however I think it is overcooling just a tad. Even when the rad and oil temps are within specs and stable, the oil pressure is still too high as well. Even diluting only gets it back down to 90 PSI. Normal being 60-80. At the ragged edge where the temps are still acceptable but on the lower end of the Normal scale, it should read about 80 psi and be within specs as well.

Try 19000 feet 4 psi boost and 2650 rpm at a level stable cruise. M.S. or F.S Supercharger mode.

I think half as much of a cooling change would have been closer to the truth and the oil pressure guage needs a slight recalibration to read at least 10 psi lower although I think 20 or 30 would be closer.

I did not find any real difference in temps whether in F.S supercharger mode and M.S. Supercharger mode which is fine by me although I would have expected F.S. would have given me more heat even at the same boost and rpm due to the power required to run the Supercharger at high speed. The attached pic shows me in M.S. but my test results in F.S. were the same temperature-wise.

Perhaps a good solution rather than or in conjunction with adjusting the normal cooling below 14,500 ft. would be to add a bit of heat when in F.S. mode.

Compressed air is hot as well which furthers the idea.

That would give a method to warm it back up to specs that makes logical sense.

The oil pressure is related since as it cools it gets thick and the psi goes up which is as it should be.

Overall, I am very pleased with the current Spitfire with a few minor issues.

OilPress.png.02a7ee517de8d039ddf0ae5bf0399635.png

Win 10 pro 64 bit. Intel i7 4790 4 Ghz running at 4.6. Asus z97 pro wifi main board, 32 gig 2400 ddr3 gold ram, 50 inch 4K UHD and HDR TV for monitor. H80 cpu cooler. 8 other cooling fans in full tower server case. Soundblaster ZX sound card. EVGA 1080 TI FTW3. TM Hotas Wartog. TM T.16000M MFG Crosswinds Pedals. Trackir 5.

• 1 month later...

Would really want to know what "objective Facts" compare to early Model now changed so drastic? Or is it also simplify (no feel) like our new Ground Physic?

Once you have tasted Flight, you will forever walk the Earth with your Eyes turned Skyward.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

9./JG27

Cruising at economical settings (0 boost, 2200 RPM) at 25,000 feet now causes the engine to overcool...

I used to often run at 0 boost 1900. not now. But we have drop tanks so my fuel conservation days a few now anyway. I made 2 hrs. I made 400 miles. Now I am cooking with grease and rockin' the throttle.

I wanted snow so I lowered the temperature of the day. Super cool city at -10C. Not good.

I am finding -2C tolerable but a lot of work diluting oil. At least a person could dogfight well in it now. It is an improvement for sure.

Thanks to those that are making this Spitfire better and better.

Would really want to know what "objective Facts" compare to early Model now changed so drastic? Or is it also simplify (no feel) like our new Ground Physic?

Everything has improved since the early release version.

It would be easier if you listed what concerned you before and we could respond to that.

Overall it is getting more and more realistic in it's behavior.

Cooling is solved making dogfighting possible I suppose.

Wing breaking is less.

It is getting more and more fine tuned as I see it.

Yo-Yo: "Немного подняли эффективность радиаторов по объективным показателям" which google translates: "A little raised the efficiency of radiators for objective indicators."

The direction ED is taking will do more harm than good..

Specs:

Asus Z97 PRO Gamer, i7 4790K@4.6GHz, 4x8GB Kingston @2400MHz 11-13-14-32, Titan X, Creative X-Fi, 128+2x250GB SSDs, VPC T50 Throttle + G940, MFG Crosswinds, TrackIR 5 w/ pro clip, JetSeat, Win10 Pro 64-bit, Oculus Rift, 27"@1920x1080

Settings:

2.1.x - Textures:High Terrain:High Civ.Traffic:Off Water:High VisRan:Low Heatblur:High Shadows:High Res:1920x1080 RoC:1024 MSAA:4x AF:16x HDR:OFF DefS: ON GCI: ON DoF:Off Lens: OFF C/G:390m Trees:1500m R:max Gamma: 1.5

Everything has improved since the early release version.

It would be easier if you listed what concerned you before and we could respond to that.

Overall it is getting more and more realistic in it's behavior.

Cooling is solved making dogfighting possible I suppose.

Wing breaking is less.

It is getting more and more fine tuned as I see it.

What me Concern is we have before 180mph and in can now climb with 80mph that's not a little bit?

So either we where completely wrong before what you might be call complete unrealistic, and was before heavy defended by yoyo as no Bug...

Dogfight was before pretty easy in the Spit so long you don't do any Prob Hang Flying...

Only want to know as objective Fact we are still on DCS level with cooling of the Spit, or what this new Information changed this so drastic..

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

9./JG27

Yeah, I don't buy it either..

Specs:

Asus Z97 PRO Gamer, i7 4790K@4.6GHz, 4x8GB Kingston @2400MHz 11-13-14-32, Titan X, Creative X-Fi, 128+2x250GB SSDs, VPC T50 Throttle + G940, MFG Crosswinds, TrackIR 5 w/ pro clip, JetSeat, Win10 Pro 64-bit, Oculus Rift, 27"@1920x1080

Settings:

2.1.x - Textures:High Terrain:High Civ.Traffic:Off Water:High VisRan:Low Heatblur:High Shadows:High Res:1920x1080 RoC:1024 MSAA:4x AF:16x HDR:OFF DefS: ON GCI: ON DoF:Off Lens: OFF C/G:390m Trees:1500m R:max Gamma: 1.5

It does not overheat easy now. You can drive it very hard.

I even caught up to a 109 but I had to get over 18,000 feet to do it.

Objectively it doesn't snap the wings off near as easy although a bomb load may affect that.

You don't pass out if you breathe on the stick forward anymore.

I always climb at 180+.

Even 160 doesn't feel right in a climb to me.

80? I'll have to try that.