Thrustmaster MFD specific LCD Monitor  

30 members have voted

1. 1. Thrustmaster MFD specific LCD Monitor

• 50-100 GBP
    • 100-150 GBP
    • 150-200 GBP
    • 200 -300 GBP or more

Hi all,

For a very long time now I've been looking at options for putting screens behind my MFDs and seen many different solutions which do the job but could be refined and made easier if there were something that was made specifically to fit the TM cougar.

I've reached out to a number of manufacturers to address this and requested pricing for a dedicated screen to fit the back of the cougar. I've requested the initial specs as follows to give them all a benchmark to start with:

• Viewable area of 108mm x 108mm
  • panel not to exceed 142mm x 142mm
  • Refresh rate about 10ms but lower the better
  • Full colour RGB
  • Connector interface to be determined - requested USB or VGA but told not likely due to cost so may well be ribbon type
  • view angle of 60x60
  • Resolution - as best as possible but might be around 800x800 ish in reality
  • Flat LCD/TFT screen only - no/minimal Bezel furniture

After initial conversations with some UK based manufacturers the response I'm getting is that I'd need to order in the region of 500-1000 units. This is because of the tooling set up and R&D that might have to go in to getting it right.

I don't think there is any doubt that a lot of us would really want this product but the question is to you guys (and girls) is what would you really be willing to pay for this before it becomes too expensive to consider? I'm asking for sensible answers and not stupid remarks like a crate of beer and some crisps etc etc (though in the past I may have been tempted)

My other question is what else would you want the specification of the monitor to meet? Has this already been looked at before by anyone properly?

Just to add - the poll is on a PER SCREEN as some people may want different numbers other than 2.

Regards to all

Ward8124

Edited by ward8124

EVGA GTX1080TISC2 Black Hybrid Cooler, Asus Strix X399, Water cooled ThreadRipper 1920X, Dominator 32GB 3200Mhz,NVME Samsung 250/500GB SSDs, Corsair Air 740 case, Acer Predator 34' Gsync curved display + 3x Alienware 23inch 120hz monitors. TM HOTAS, RAZER - Tiamat,Blackwidow, Mamba, Tartarus and Oculus Rift CV1/DK2 + TrackIR5, MFG crosswinds

Oh and a very understanding wife.

How should ribbon connect to VGA? Is an adapter required?

Edited by Automan

MainMenulogo.png.6e3b585a30c5c1ba684bc2d91f3e37f0.png

ACER Predator Orion 9000: W10H | Intel i9-7900X OC@4.5Ghz | 8x16GB Crucial Ballistix Sport | Sapphire GTX1080TI | Intel 900P 480GB | Intel 600P 256GB | HP EX950 1TB | Seagate Firecuda 2TB

ACER Predator XB281HK: 28" TN G-SYNC 4K@60hz

ThrustMaster Warthog Hotas, TPR, MFD Cougar Pack, HP Reverb Pro

I would get a set of 8" Liliputs and live with the fact that they were a bit too big. The price tag on a custom item, with sales of 1000 units is going to be very high.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

Take a look at this thread. I posted info about my screens and what I use which work very well. They fit way better than Lilliputs. These are under a $100 each as well.

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=185073

Yes. Yours is another example of a solution that is likely to be far cheaper than the OP's custom solution (which still needs an interface of some type to connect from the ribbon cable to either USB or HDMI/DP).

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

OK gents, you would need to get an adapter and these seem to go for around 40 USD on my initial research.

In regards to the price, I've no idea what it will be at the moment until I get some feedback from the manufacturers. If it's too high then so be it and I'll accept that and see it as a conclusion and fully appreciate there are other alternatives but as said in my opening statement, they could be refined. Truly square TFTs/LCDs are extremely rare from what I've seen so even if I do get an idea of the cost it would be worth it for my own sanity.

Another question that was asked offline, was what was my "cut" and the answer is zero. I will be selling these on at cost plus postage and packaging. I'm doing this for community and not my own personal greed.

It's very early days guys, I'll update when I start getting some pricing back warts and all.

Cheers

Ward8124-=Shrek69=-

EVGA GTX1080TISC2 Black Hybrid Cooler, Asus Strix X399, Water cooled ThreadRipper 1920X, Dominator 32GB 3200Mhz,NVME Samsung 250/500GB SSDs, Corsair Air 740 case, Acer Predator 34' Gsync curved display + 3x Alienware 23inch 120hz monitors. TM HOTAS, RAZER - Tiamat,Blackwidow, Mamba, Tartarus and Oculus Rift CV1/DK2 + TrackIR5, MFG crosswinds

Oh and a very understanding wife.

• 3 weeks later...

A 7" diagonal 800x600 (4:3) panel is 154mm x 119mm overall size with active size of 141mm x 106mm. Merely 2 mm shy on one dimension. Proper enclosure can marry the Cougar MFD with this panel pretty nicely I guess...

Here is an example 7" (4:3) panel:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Board-800X600-V-0-Controller-Vga-Av-Audio-Lcd-A070sn02-V1-7Inch-Kyv-N3-N-/332206606687?hash=item4d590e895f:g:8woAAOSwImRYHe9c

Cougar Dimensions:

https://forums.eagle.ru/attachment.php?attachmentid=31565&d=1253814034

i7-4790K @ 4.62Ghz, 32GB DRR3, 128GB MSSD, GTX 1080Ti 11GB, Corsair H100 liquid cooling, 27" TripleHead, Ed Tracker, 5.1 Surround, Thrustmaster HOTAS.

DCS (A10C), FSX (Piper), Falcon4.0, BMS, OpenFalcon, LockOn... ;)

An 8" 800x480 panel is 186x141 total and 161x121 active panel. Cougar MFD is 141x141 total and 108x108 window. So, the panel will fit vertically and exceed horizontally. Attached photo is a simple concept of combining the panel and MFD with a separator (plywood/plastic/cardboard) in the middle with 108x108 window and a angled bracket that will have screws from sides through into wooden "holdings" clenching the panel in the middle. Note: join the separator, mfd and bracket with screws from the back of mfd.

948570305_MFDAssembly.thumb.jpg.3a376cad3847d6b0fdd8ecdb66e46d3e.jpg

MFD_Assembly_20170525.thumb.jpg.8fb7b23590c3d235ce8e084b3624fe50.jpg

Edited by taz_fighter
  • Like 1

i7-4790K @ 4.62Ghz, 32GB DRR3, 128GB MSSD, GTX 1080Ti 11GB, Corsair H100 liquid cooling, 27" TripleHead, Ed Tracker, 5.1 Surround, Thrustmaster HOTAS.

DCS (A10C), FSX (Piper), Falcon4.0, BMS, OpenFalcon, LockOn... ;)

• 3 months later...

Or just cover up the unused portion of 8" Liliputs. I used a thin aluminum sheet (those "For Sale", Be Aware of Dogs signs and painted it matte black. Took 30 seconds to make.

eInahD3.jpg

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

• 11 months later...

A year later, but that's OK. I just set up my external MFD's using a different method, both Cougar MFD button frames are mounted onto plexiglass, then velcro'd onto a single monitor side by side. I can remove the MFD frames this way to use the monitor for other things.

I picked up an 11.6" 16:9 monitor for $50 off ebay. It's exactly wide enough to provide pixels for both MFD's, with some extra below. Nothing standard fits the MFD's exactly in both dimensions. I think this is probably the simplest low cost option.

I have the MFD's set up for Enemy Engaged, now I need to set them up for DCS, then X-Plane.

http://javelinart.com/images/MFD_Photo.jpg

• 1 year later...
A year later, but that's OK. I just set up my external MFD's using a different method, both Cougar MFD button frames are mounted onto plexiglass, then velcro'd onto a single monitor side by side. I can remove the MFD frames this way to use the monitor for other things.

I picked up an 11.6" 16:9 monitor for $50 off ebay. It's exactly wide enough to provide pixels for both MFD's, with some extra below. Nothing standard fits the MFD's exactly in both dimensions. I think this is probably the simplest low cost option.

I have the MFD's set up for Enemy Engaged, now I need to set them up for DCS, then X-Plane.

http://javelinart.com/images/MFD_Photo.jpg

could you tell the plexiglass dimensions?

Did you source it somewhere on the Internet or in a local store?

Thanks

🖥️ R7-5800X3D 64GB RTX-4090 LG-38GN950  🥽  Valve Index 🕹️ VPForce Rhino FFB, Virpil F-14 (VFX) Grip, Virpil Alpha Grip, Virpil CM3 Throttle + Control Panel 2, Winwing Orion (Skywalker) Pedals, Razer Tartarus V2 💺SpeedMaster Flight Seat, JetSeat

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VF-103.png

Hello Hansangb,

Yours cockpit look amazing , and i see that it including 3 main monitors (for the main view) and additional 2 individual screen for the 2 MFCD of the A!0C.

I have similar configurations of 3 main big screens of 43" each one to my virtual cockpit (i bought 3 4k LED TV), and i already installed 3 Thrustmaster MDF that i would like to put 8" screens behind them MDFs , similar to what show in your cockpit.

I am using Geforce 1080Ti GPU that have 3xDP (that my 3 main screens connected to it) ,1 HDMI and 1 DVI (last both are free.

I am planing to try to extend the 3 MFCD of the FA-18C (L_DDI , MFCD and R_DDI) and i wonder if there is a possibility to connect to multi HDMI ports hub, it input signal to my GPU HDMI free port, and it outputs will be connected to the 3 individual 8" screens.

If this possible there is any idea which files i need to config and how?

Alternative, if there is no option to extend 3 different regions of the cockpit (L_DDI, MFCD and R_DDI) via Multi monitors hub, and i would like to install additional GPU to get the ports for these 3 8" monitor, can you help me and instruct me how you connected the 2 additional 8" screens , and which files and how need to config?

Thank you in advance .

Aviram_AD

Aviram_AD

I used 3 8"Neewer displays from Amazon. About $60usd each. Added some vga-usb adapters, made some 3D sleeves and rear vesa mounts and BANG!

I love my 3D printer for mods. :D

I printed them originally in grey. Redid them in black, then decided to cover them with Carbon Fiber vinyl wrap.

IMG_20190628_001225455.thumb.jpg.39c18fe204cc064c0ada551e22c00200.jpg

IMG_20181129_205609587.thumb.jpg.9f85696a2ea14aaa4702544c6e846f14.jpg

Intel i7 9700k, 64GB DDR4 (Corsair), Gigabyte Z390 Master, RTX 2080 Ti AMP 11gb, 500GB Sabrent Rocket (System), 1TB XPG Gammix S11 Pro M.2 (DCS), Windows 11 64-bit Pro, Samsung 49" 4K CRG9 Monitor (5120x1440), Samsung Odyssey Plus, TrackIR 5, Thrustmaster Warthog Hotas, Various streamdecks, button boxes, Logitech Pro Rudder Pedals, Corsair K95 Platinum, Iron Claw mouse.

DCS OB, F-14B Tomcat, F-18C Hornet, F-16C Viper, A-10C Warthog, F-5 Tiger II, AV-8B Harrier, P-51D Mustang, FC3, Super Carrier

Thrustmaster Warthog Hotas, (3) Cougar MFD's, Logitech Pro Rudder Pedals, (2) Stream Decks, (1) Stream Deck XL, (1) Stream Deck Mini, Misc Button Boxes

CF wrapped

IMG_20191026_234653.thumb.jpg.605ce1dbe0d6b6f3b586cb27428fb0d4.jpg

Intel i7 9700k, 64GB DDR4 (Corsair), Gigabyte Z390 Master, RTX 2080 Ti AMP 11gb, 500GB Sabrent Rocket (System), 1TB XPG Gammix S11 Pro M.2 (DCS), Windows 11 64-bit Pro, Samsung 49" 4K CRG9 Monitor (5120x1440), Samsung Odyssey Plus, TrackIR 5, Thrustmaster Warthog Hotas, Various streamdecks, button boxes, Logitech Pro Rudder Pedals, Corsair K95 Platinum, Iron Claw mouse.

DCS OB, F-14B Tomcat, F-18C Hornet, F-16C Viper, A-10C Warthog, F-5 Tiger II, AV-8B Harrier, P-51D Mustang, FC3, Super Carrier

Thrustmaster Warthog Hotas, (3) Cougar MFD's, Logitech Pro Rudder Pedals, (2) Stream Decks, (1) Stream Deck XL, (1) Stream Deck Mini, Misc Button Boxes

Thrustmaster MFD specific LCD monitors

Or just cover up the unused portion of 8" Liliputs. I used a thin aluminum sheet (those "For Sale", Be Aware of Dogs signs and painted it matte black. Took 30 seconds to make.

eInahD3.jpg

Hello Hansangb,

Yours cockpit look amazing , and i see that it including 3 main monitors (for the main view) and additional 2 individual screen for the 2 MFCD of the A!0C.

I have similar configurations of 3 main big screens of 43" each one to my virtual cockpit (i bought 3 4k LED TV), and i already installed 3 Thrustmaster MDF that i would like to put 8" screens behind them MDFs , similar to what show in your cockpit.

I am using Geforce 1080Ti GPU that have 3xDP (that my 3 main screens connected to it) ,1 HDMI and 1 DVI (last both are free.

I am planing to try to extend the 3 MFCD of the FA-18C (L_DDI , MFCD and R_DDI) and i wonder if there is a possibility to connect to multi HDMI ports hub, it input signal to my GPU HDMI free port, and it outputs will be connected to the 3 individual 8" screens.

Alternative, if there is no option to extend 3 different regions of the cockpit (L_DDI, MFCD and R_DDI) via Multi monitors hub, and i would like to install additional GPU to get the ports for these 3 8" monitor, can you help me and instruct me how you connected the 2 additional 8" screens , and which files and how need to config?

Thank you in advance .

Aviram_AD

Hello Hansangb,

Thank you in advance .

Take a look at Matrox Triplehead2go GXM modules. Pretty easy to configure and they combine 3 monitors via hdmi-dp cables into one big DP monitor which has configurable resolution. I run 3 mfcds through one and its awesome.

My controls & seat

Main controls: , BRD-N v4 Flightstick (Kreml C5 controller), TM Warthog Throttle (Kreml F3 controller), BRD-F2 Restyling Bf-109 Pedals w. damper, TrackIR5, Gametrix KW-908 (integrated into RAV4 seat)

Stick grips:

Thrustmaster Warthog

Thrustmaster Cougar (x2)

Thrustmaster F-16 FLCS

BRD KG13

Standby controls:

BRD-M2 Mi-8 Pedals (Ruddermaster controller)

BRD-N v3 Flightstick w. exch. grip upgrade (Kreml C5 controller)

Thrustmaster Cougar Throttle

Pilot seat

Take a look at Matrox Triplehead2go GXM modules. Pretty easy to configure and they combine 3 monitors via hdmi-dp cables into one big DP monitor which has configurable resolution. I run 3 mfcds through one and its awesome.

Thank you LT,

Can you show the *.lua files that you configured to add the 3 MFC's to your main monitors?

I already purchased the Multi port hubs which allow to connect 1 HDMI port from the GPU to 4 HDMI ports (allow to connect up to 4 screens).

Thank you

Aviram_AD

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Lt, I took your advice and i purchased from eBay Used* Matrox Triplehead2go T2g-dp-mif - DP Edition paid 90US$ and waiting to get it.

I have question, if i already have 3 screens (43" each one) that used my main screen of the cockpit (these connected to 3 DP ports of my DPU NVIDIA 1070Ti, and i intend to connect the 4th HDMI free port the the IN DP port of the Matrox Triplehead2go T2g-dp-mif , is the meaning that if i connect the 3 8" screens to the 3 output DP ports of the Matrox Triplehead2go T2g-dp-mif ,the Windows 10 will be able to identify these additional 3 screen individually ?

Thank you in advance for your reply.

Aviram_AD

If I followed you correctly that should work been a few years since I use the Matrox box

BlackeyCole 20years usaf

XP-11. Dcs 2.5OB

Acer predator laptop/ i7 7720, 2.4ghz, 32 gb ddr4 ram, 500gb ssd,1tb hdd,nvidia 1080 8gb vram

New FlightSim Blog at https://blackeysblog.wordpress.com. Go visit it and leave me feedback and or comments so I can make it better. A new post every Friday.

Hello Hansangb,

Thank you in advance .

Wait, you have three 4K monitors and you want to drive them all with your 1080Ti? is that right? I don't think you have enough horsepower to run it all with a 1080Ti. I'm not sure a 2080 Ti could drive all three 4K monitors and MFD monitors.

Also HDMI splitters are used to send the same video to different sources so that won't help.

Do you have the MFDs already working? Do you need helping with monitor config files? If that's the case, you can look at it here: https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=2616874&postcount=799

Finally, for the hornet, the MFD names were changed. But I don't have them off the top of my head (I got rid of everything because I went with VR)

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1