The TV Show Thread - Page 2 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 04-16-2018, 11:13 PM   #11
Yurgon
Campaign Testers

Netflix recently released season 1 of their new Lost in Space adaptation.

I never watched the original show, nor the '98 movie, so I have no prior expectations.

I like the first season and overall I think it's a good show with some great actors. What a dislike, without spoiling too much, is the traditional way of building up adversaries. Ever since the Firefly pilot "Serenity", when I feel "Oh please someone put a bullet in this bad guy's head!" I can't stand it when that feeling continues for X episodes in a row.

Come to think of it... haven't watched Firefly in over a year, I think it's about time for a re-run.

Back on topic, a big plus for including Bill Mumy, who played Will Robinson back in '65, in the pilot episode of the new show in a different role.
Old 04-16-2018, 11:42 PM   #12
Maximus_G
Veteran

Send a message via ICQ to Maximus_G

"The Terror" is a mesmerizing beast of a movie.
Maximus_G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 02:04 AM   #13
Yurgon
Campaign Testers

Just finished watching The Chalet aka Le chalet.

I liked it a lot for the clever way of telling the story across two timelines, both inseparably intertwined. A beautiful environment, great actors, the suspenseful story and of course the option for the audience to try and connect the dots before the show exposes them, all that makes it a great and memorable show IMO.

Some aspects, like people dropping dead from any type of gunshot or arrow wound, seem a bit odd.

The one thing I totally love about this French show is an aspect that US TV makers never seem to grasp: It's 6 episodes in total, and they're perfect. Perfect in that they tell the story, and that's that. I see no way for a second or third or gazillionth season, unlike just about every American TV show that has ever been the slightest bit successful. If nothing else, that is something to take away from shows like this.

(The methodical flaw of German TV shows, BTW, is that a) they love to tone down the color to almost black&white, b) they're boring in a near suicidal way, c) they always have people yelling in the most unnatural way and d) the story makes exactly no sense WTFsoever. When I criticize US TV shows, it's because I usually admire them for almost everything except their terrible lack of a proper ending. Even so, I'd rather watch 100 flawed US TV shows than 2 typical German ones.)
Old 04-30-2018, 02:18 AM   #14
Yurgon
Campaign Testers

Speaking of German TV shows, there are jewels, and this one is absolutely, definitely one of them.

Der Tatortreiniger

Old 04-30-2018, 04:23 PM   #15
Omega3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yurgon View Post
The methodical flaw of German TV shows, BTW, is that a) they love to tone down the color to almost black&white, b) they're boring in a near suicidal way, c) they always have people yelling in the most unnatural way and d) the story makes exactly no sense WTFsoever.
Sounds like something I would perversely enjoy, Yurgon.

My latest YouTube picks have been an odd dichotomy of old Looney Toons cartoons and this nerdy channel called Grim Rappers or something like that...

That's all I watch except for this forum, and (coming soon!) Amazon tracking for my new rig.

And then the coffee and expectant father pacing of some loooong downloads.
Omega3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 04:27 PM   #16
thrustvector

not movies, but I have to watch the new series of marvel agents of shield on sunday nights, Tuesday is Gotham, and then Thursday young Sheldon
thrustvector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 08:20 PM   #17
Yurgon
Campaign Testers

Started watching Fauda, totally hooked!

Edit 2 weeks later: just finished watching season 2. By far one of the best shows in recent history IMHO. Excellent writing, directing and acting. But most of all, it's a show that highlights both sides in the Palestinian/Israeli conflict.

The co-creater and lead actor used to be in the Israeli Special Forces, and it shows that he knows what he's writing about, and how he's handling himself.

In an interview, he said he received words of appreciation for the Israeli side from Arabs, and words of appreciation for the Arab side from Israelis.

I don't speak a word of Hebrew, nor do I speak of word of Arabic, but I highly recommend watching the show in the original version with subtitles.

Last edited by Yurgon; 06-10-2018 at 08:49 PM.
Yurgon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 02:29 AM   #18
DarkFire

I like my scifi shows and have just finished watching Altered Carbon on Netflix. Great cinematography, excellent acting and very nice special effects. The story was altered from the books but I felt in a good way which in no way detracted from the central themes. Very highly recommended for scifi fans.

Personal wish list: DCS: Su-27SM.
DarkFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 09:33 PM   #19
Aviator_George

The Walking Dead.

Don't click the spoiler
Spoiler:
I don't:Have DCSAnd any components needed to run DCS on a computer.
Aviator_George is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 12:24 AM   #20
Yurgon
Campaign Testers

Just brushed up on my nearly non-existent Spanish and watched 2 seasons of Money Heist, which is a bit of an odd title; the original title is La Casa de Papel which might just have been literally translated to "House of money".

Fairly intelligent show, great actors, lots of "didn't see that coming" twists.

Over the span of 2 seasons, the twists don't always make sense. And please someone advise the actors (the cop actors in particular) how to handle guns. It feels like they're gonna shoot themselves when they pull the guns out of the holster. Plus a horde of snipers that are unable to hit a biker at maybe 150 meters...

Anyway, cool show, better watch it while it's fresh.

Unfortunately, a 3rd season is planned for 2019; it was my impression that the first 2 seasons told a complete story, but I guess the show was too successful not to be ridden to death.