Normandy Map Discussion

Lenux

Looks really good!!!:thumbup:

Personally, I like what seems to be an improved atmospheric fog/haze effect (not sure but looks like that). Thats something I have always think could be improved in DCS...IRL, "height haze", the one happening because more and more air mass is between you (in the plane) and the ground/whatever in the distance is a very important factor when flying and it makes a great difference in a flight sim in terms of inmersion. In those new pics I like how there seems to be a little more haze, even when the camera is not very high (maybe also due to the time of day).

I would like to see more "height haze" than this and even more as you climb, and see how the horizont line fades every time smoother and smoother specially in a coastal region like this... that would make a massive feeling of high :thumbup: (of course, Im talking about a totally different haze from the low fog we already have in DCS)

It would also be great to be able to configure this parameter in ME as a "visibility distance" setting depending of the height, again, a different parameter from the one we have, this time allowing us to configure higher altitudes (10000, 15000, 20000 ft, etc.) for now, we only have the thick low fog that is most of the time caused by pollution.

I mean something like this:

2821067.jpg?v=v40

2343086.jpg?v=v40

6c38667a56864cc9098f89d0f208b2c4.jpg

article-0-1A9B80C3000005DC-828_964x649.jpg

1212991.jpg?v=v40

Great shots, looking forward to see also maps with new clouds and weather effects!!

Edited by watermanpc

Take a look at my MODS here

Nice screenshots Wags, looking good.

Pre-purchase loaded on the train for tomorrow?? :D

Nice Pics above too. :thumbup:

You get bad haze when there's an inversion, you can see the top clearly on the photo of the BBMF Spitfire, Hurricane & Lancaster there.

Edited by bart

System :-

i7-12700K 3.6 GHz 12 core, ASUS ROG Strix Z690-A Gaming, 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3200MHz, 24GB Asus ROG Strix Geforce RTX 3090, 1x 500GB Samsung 980 PRO M.2, 1x 2TB Samsung 980 PRO M.2, Corsair 1000W RMx Series Modular 80 Plus Gold PSU, Windows 10. VIRPIL VPC WarBRD Base with HOTAS Warthog Stick and Warthog Throttle, VIRPIL ACE Interceptor Pedals, VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus Base with a Hawk-60 Grip, HP Reverb G2.

way more detailed than what i expected..i thought its going to be 1big green blank texture, and maybe runways with couple of hangars around....thats a pleasant surpsie.

Well I expected more than just a blank texture, but certainly not nearly that detailed. If this is what ED calls "low detail", I will hapilly accept more such low detail maps! :thumbup:

but, isnt this supposed to be an alpha release? as a former kickstarter backer who pledged to an amount to get early access to the map, it somehow hurts to read them developing laundry hanging on lines etc...dont get me wrong, im not against such details, but this thing looks damn "releasable" for quite some time now. clean clothes can come at a later point. what are you waiting for?
Agree that little details like clothes or bicycles can indeed come later, but nobody said there are no other things to do while they add these. While part of the team might be fixing serious issues, other part can use that time to make the map look more pretty. Texture artists won't help you much with scripting ATC or defining runway directions or whatever, so why not to give

him / her something to do in the meantime?

Besides, ED surely wants to make good first impression, and with all those details, they sure as hell will! I mean, clothes lines in a flight sim? As a small kid, playing

, I always dreamed of a flight sim where I would be able to fly realistically modelled helicopters and planes in a lifelike environment, with things like trees, and garden toolsheds, and power lines that I could actually crash into... A dream I knew will never come true. Some 20 years later and guess what? :clap_2:

P.S. And my greatest dream was to fly a Mi-24 over that landscape, simulated with useless details like tyres deforming while parked, rotor blades drooping when not moving, or doors I can actually open. In other words, all the things current DCS modules normally do! And see which helicopter is currently developed by Belsimtek!

My personal life hasn't been exactly what I would like it to be during the last few years, but looking back at my childhood dreams and seeing them come true is somehow... satisfying. One of the many small things that make life seem more pleasurable. Thank you ED for that!

Probably been asked and answered several times, but here it is again.

As a WWII backer from back in the day, will I be getting Normandy, or do I need to purchase it?

- Jack of many DCS modules, master of none.

- Personal wishlist: F-15A, F-4S Phantom II, JAS 39A Gripen, SAAB 35 Draken, F-104 Starfighter, Panavia Tornado IDS.

| Windows 11 | i5-12400 | 64Gb DDR4 | RTX 3080 | 2x M.2 | 27" 1440p | Rift CV1 | Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS | MFG Crosswind pedals |

Thx. Cant believe I missed that sticky. I need to look closer in the future :)

- Jack of many DCS modules, master of none.

- Personal wishlist: F-15A, F-4S Phantom II, JAS 39A Gripen, SAAB 35 Draken, F-104 Starfighter, Panavia Tornado IDS.

| Windows 11 | i5-12400 | 64Gb DDR4 | RTX 3080 | 2x M.2 | 27" 1440p | Rift CV1 | Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS | MFG Crosswind pedals |

Come on ED!! Daddy needs to go down to the Pub for a pint! :drink:cheers.gifcheers.gifcheers.gifcheers.gif

Beautiful Map! Beyond all my expectations! :thumbup:

When you hit the wrong button on take-off

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler
System board: MSI X670E ACE Memory: 64GB DDR5-6000 G.Skill Ripjaw System disk: Crucial P5 M.2 2TB
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D PSU: Corsair HX1200 PSU Monitor: ASUS MG279Q, 27"
CPU cooling: Noctua NH-D15S Graphics card: MSI RTX 3090Ti SuprimX VR: Oculus Rift CV1

Well I expected more than just a blank texture, but certainly not nearly that detailed. If this is what ED calls "low detail", I will hapilly accept more such low detail maps! :thumbup:

Agree that little details like clothes or bicycles can indeed come later, but nobody said there are no other things to do while they add these. While part of the team might be fixing serious issues, other part can use that time to make the map look more pretty. Texture artists won't help you much with scripting ATC or defining runway directions or whatever, so why not to give

him / her something to do in the meantime?

Besides, ED surely wants to make good first impression, and with all those details, they sure as hell will! I mean, clothes lines in a flight sim? As a small kid, playing

, I always dreamed of a flight sim where I would be able to fly realistically modelled helicopters and planes in a lifelike environment, with things like trees, and garden toolsheds, and power lines that I could actually crash into... A dream I knew will never come true. Some 20 years later and guess what? :clap_2:

P.S. And my greatest dream was to fly a Mi-24 over that landscape, simulated with useless details like tyres deforming while parked, rotor blades drooping when not moving, or doors I can actually open. In other words, all the things current DCS modules normally do! And see which helicopter is currently developed by Belsimtek!

My personal life hasn't been exactly what I would like it to be during the last few years, but looking back at my childhood dreams and seeing them come true is somehow... satisfying. One of the many small things that make life seem more pleasurable. Thank you ED for that!

i know mate, and totally agree, and im not that naive to think that all they do is really hanging up laundry on the ropes ;) its just, its looking really really good...so im hoping for a release as soon as possible, or at least by end of march, speaking Q1

Like everyone else has said, I have no words to describe it. It looks superb. I was expecting a less detailed coast in south England. Congratulations to the map developing team. Now release it!! lol

Specs: i7-4790K @4.00 ghz, EVGA 2080ti , 16GB ram, Samsung 512GB SSD x2.

Gear: Virpil Alpha stick with Mongoos T-50CM2 throttle, Combat-Pro flight pedals, Track ir 5 & Reverb G2

Wags,

any chance of a screenshot of Tangmere?

klem

56 RAF 'Firebirds'

ASUS ROG Strix Z390-F mobo, i7 8086A @ 5.0 GHz with Corsair H115i watercooling, Gigabyte 2080Ti GAMING OC 11Gb GPU , 32Gb DDR4 RAM, 500Gb and 256Gb SSD SATA III 6Gb/s + 2TB , Pimax 8k Plus VR, TM Warthog Throttle, TM F18 Grip on Virpil WarBRD base, Windows 10 Home 64bit

Wags,

any chance of a screenshot of Tangmere?

Yeah would love to see that too, it's where my father was stationed during WW2. Now it has a very nice little museum, but last time I visited it the runways etc. were all gone.

Sons of Dogs, Come Eat Flesh

Clan Cameron

Today's news update mentioned Normandy on track to come out soon.

I am so looking forward to soon!

With all my DCS installs I may have to invest in a larger SSD here soon as well.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

• ED Team
Yeah would love to see that too, it's where my father was stationed during WW2. Now it has a very nice little museum, but last time I visited it the runways etc. were all gone.

Realize that the Southern England airfields are not accurate, that is part of the "low detail" comments about it. They are just airfields to launch missions from, they happened to be in the location of those RAF bases.

64Sig.png
Forum RulesMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine#0440• **How to Report a Bug**

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png

Today's news update mentioned Normandy on track to come out soon.

I am so looking forward to soon!

With all my DCS installs I may have to invest in a larger SSD here soon as well.

Whenever it actually hits the shelves for us to purchase it will be well worth it! Looking at those screen shots makes my jaw hit the floor! Much better than I was expecting (great job guys!!!) and even though I would like it in my hands yesterday I will patiently (as much as this old fart can muster...) wait for it to get in my grubby little hands.

Edited by Justificus
typo...

Justificus

System Specs:

i7 4970K @ 4.8, GTX 1080 SC, 32GB G.Skill DDR 2133,Thermaltake Level 10 Full Tower Case, Noctua NH-D15 6 Cooler, Win 10 Pro, Warthog, CH Pro Pedals, CH Throttle Quadrant, Oculus, 1 32" & 2 19" Monitors

Modules Owned: A-10C I+II, Ka-50, FC3, F-86, Mig-15, Mig21, UH-1H, Mi-8, CA, P-51D, BF-109K-4, FW-190 D-9, Hawk, NTTR, M-2000C, SA342, F-5E, Spit Mk. IX, AJS-37, Normandy, WWII A.P., AV-8B, F/A-18C, L-39, Persian Gulf, Mig-19P, I-16, Super Carrier, F-16, Channel, Syria

I just don't hope that ED in any way are swayed by the verbal and noisy whiners on offical channels. A lot of people are whining on not getting what they want. I hope ED realize that they are making a dream come true for so many with this. And once its out the door and up and running- it can only get better!

how detailed it looks when I first saw it

It looks bloody awesome :thumbup: Certainly enough detail for those cross-channel bombing ops. From which it logically follows that we'd need some bombers next, wouldn't we ;)

The DCS Mi-8MTV2. The best aviational BBW experience you could ever dream of.

I am wondering what navaids are implemented and if they depend on the selected era?

Edited by funkyfranky

A warrior's mission is to foster the success of others.

i9-12900K | MSI RTX 3080Ti Suprim X | 128 GB Ram 3200 MHz DDR-4 | MSI MPG Edge Z690 | Samung EVO 980 Pro SSD | Virpil Stick, Throttle and Collective | MFG Crosswind | HP Reverb G2

RAT - On the Range - Rescue Helo - Recovery Tanker - Warehouse - Airboss

From which it logically follows that we'd need some bombers next, wouldn't we wink.gif

We have a Lancaster!

More in progress.

B-26 and.......................................music_whistling.gif

We wait for Markindel and Stonehouse to complete their work.

"Yeah, and though I work in the valley of Death, I will fear no Evil. For where there is one, there is always three. I preparest my aircraft to receive the Iron that will be delivered in the presence of my enemies. Thy ALCM and JDAM they comfort me. Power was given unto the aircrew to make peace upon the world by way of the sword. And when the call went out, Behold the "Sword of Stealth". And his name was Death. And Hell followed him. For the day of wrath has come and no mercy shall be given."