Viggen autopilot does not level the plane

Leviathan667

Hello,

I bought the Viggen mod during the last flash sale event. The plane looks awesome but I am a bit frustrated with the autopilot and plane controls in general.

1. Control of the plane using the joystick (Logitech 3D Extreme Pro) lacks in precision. For example, I cannot level the flight path of the Viggen as I am used to with the Mirage 2000 using the stick alone. I cannot precisely aim towards any given heading though I can aim towards the general direction of a given one and then spend most of my time correcting the course of the plane.

2. The autopilot does not help as, even when I activate the attitude autopilot under 7° roll angle, it will never level the plane. :(

3. I lowered the sensitivity of the joystick (for both X and Y axis, sames settings as show in image 3) and increased the dead zone interval, but to no avail.

So I am a bit perplexed. There is something I must be doing wrong?

Thank you in advance for your help :)

Wishlist: Tornado ADV/IDS, Blackburn Buccaneer, Super Mystère B2, Saab J 35 Draken,

Do you have an asymetric loadout? If not, the AP should level out on all axis.

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

I would check out all the DCS AXIS controls for Viggen - mine was full of unnecessary stuff that was conflicting with the flight controls. I had similar problems with F-5 module, was VERY heavily turning left before I cleaned it up. Now it's the first thing I do with a new module.

Viggen should fly straight and if not having asymmetric loadout should need very little - if any - roll trim. Nose up/down trim you do need quite a bit, though.

A-10C Warthog | AJS-37 Viggen | F-5E Tiger II | Mig-15bis | MiG-19P Farmer

Disconnect the joystick and fly with mouse and keyboard. Spawn in mid air

MY SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel pentium 3 @ 800 MHz, 256 Mb RAM, Geforce 2 64Mb, Dell screen 1024x768 + Microsoft sidewhiner joystick + TrackIR 2 + TrackClitPro SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 98, Noice Attack & VIASAT PRO, SnackView

The loadout is symetric and I cleansed the X and Y Axis devices to keep only the joystick (and the arrow windows on the keyboard).

Later I'll try to disconnect the joystick to see how the plane behaves.

Wishlist: Tornado ADV/IDS, Blackburn Buccaneer, Super Mystère B2, Saab J 35 Draken,

2. The autopilot does not help as, even when I activate the attitude autopilot under 7° roll angle, it will never level the plane. :(

It does work. Are you sure you are less than 7 degrees? It is a very small roll. When you're in flight, make a very very small roll from level, click on the ATT AP, and you should see the plane level out.

Whether this is 7 degrees or not is another matter. Hard to measure, but it's only about 2% of the full 360 degrees, or 4% of 180 degrees each way, so not much.

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

I did give it a try again yesterday and it worked fine. I guess, maybe strong crosswinds will be compensated for by maintaining a slight roll (by the ATT autopilot)? Or, maybe my joystick which I had recalibrated necessitated a reboot of the computer.

Thank you all for your replies :)

Which trim do you use to do this. I am a bit lost with the Viggen multiple trims:

"RCtrl - A" Autopilot yaw trim Left Autopilot

"RCtrl - D" Autopilot yaw trim Right Autopilot

Emergency Trim Pitch Down Flight Control

Emergency Trim Pitch Up Flight Control

"RAlt - RCtrl - RShift - Left" Emergency Trim Roll Left Flight Control

"RAlt - RCtrl - RShift - Right" Emergency Trim Roll Rght Flight Control

"O" Roll centrering (Roll trim reset) Flight Control

"RCtrl - ," Trim: Left Wing Down Flight Control

"RCtrl - W" Trim: Nose Down Flight Control

"RCtrl - S" Trim: Nose Up Flight Control

"RCtrl - /" Trim: Right Wing Down Flight Control

"RCtrl - Z" Trim: Rudder Left Flight Control

Trim: Rudder Left Flight Control

"RCtrl - X" Trim: Rudder Right Flight Control

Trim: Rudder Right Flight Control

Thanks

Edited by Leviathan667
No jmage will show up

What do you guys mean by ‘level the plane’? Pitch and roll? Or just pitch?

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box