My A-10C preparation

rocketeer

• 5 months later...
  • Replies 680
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

FYI,

i have put up some F16 and ACES II items for sale on ebay under the hardware for sale section.

For cockpit builders, you can use these ejection seat items for other aircrafts such as the A-10C and F-18C cockpit etc.

(if you are not too technical about F-18 using Martin Baker instead of ACES II) :)

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=3581196#post3581196

• 2 weeks later...

previously,

thvhds3t1p3xo6ez.JPG

i wasn't too happy with this setup. the push buttons wobble too much, and don't fit some of the square holes perfectly. so some of them don't move smoothly. plus the buttons don't lie flat, some sit at an angle, some at different height. looks horrible.

recently i decided not to care about output display and just focus on getting input switches done. this pit has spanned over too many years. so now i decided to change to using square push buttons from the get go, but with round body so it's easier to drill round holes to fit snugly.

eov5msuek6olktag.JPG

then i glue some 3/4" square acrylic from tap plastic to get the size of the button look i want.

1kaag7r13ml19zsv.JPG

wp4ls3lycq8p9uev.JPG

6xwi8rdn8czatvze.JPG

k6y05aumy4t495g9.JPG

now backlighting is not possible. but what the heck. at least pushing the buttons feel right without being stuck in the square holes and those holes that are too big leave too much room for wobble. and now consistent height and all sit flat. :)

previously,

thvhds3t1p3xo6ez.JPG

i wasn't too happy with this setup. the push buttons wobble too much, and don't fit some of the square holes perfectly. so some of them don't move smoothly. plus the buttons don't lie flat, some sit at an angle, some at different height. looks horrible.

recently i decided not to care about output display and just focus on getting input switches done. this pit has spanned over too many years. so now i decided to change to using square push buttons from the get go, but with round body so it's easier to drill round holes to fit snugly.

eov5msuek6olktag.JPG

then i glue some 3/4" square acrylic from tap plastic to get the size of the button look i want.

1kaag7r13ml19zsv.JPG

wp4ls3lycq8p9uev.JPG

6xwi8rdn8czatvze.JPG

k6y05aumy4t495g9.JPG

now backlighting is not possible. but what the heck. at least pushing the buttons feel right without being stuck in the square holes and those holes that are too big leave too much room for wobble. and now consistent height and all sit flat. :)

It's really good you're working on your build again. Thumbs up

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

4e7duzg0posy6pxu.JPG

emergency handbrake done, using a simple push pull switch.

p14la4z8g38bidsy.JPG

before and after pull.

9e79zrtekzo4wyd3.JPG

i glue an acrylic rod to the inside of a brass tube. drilled a hole to screw the push pull switch head into it to pull it up without the cap that comes with the switch.

w54pjmvplvzhbkd1.JPG

next, DVADR.

hgjc2k25kcl13y1s.JPG

this is how i decided to mount it. just next to the left console using L brackets.

hxyfv3sce68xdb1q.JPG

after adding some LEDs and words to the face.

en6nprsipbf0rxdp.JPG

Hi Shawn, great work.

DVADR is a nice addition

Also, it's good the push pull switch for the wheel brake did the job

Seeing those pictures makes me think that I should have used a toggle with a flat actuator for my seat adjust switch.

I saw a few yellow dots on a panel in those photos. Is that to reference the default position for a ramp start so you can move all switches to the right position quickly before launching the sim?

Cheers

CDU. this panel does have not words on the face, all on the buttons, so i don't even bother with covering the pcb board.

un6me95gade5ieud.JPG

04j572gny4ywx415.JPG

rl87vtknnyq31kdz.JPG

UFC.

l99p1hdtr30c5j94.JPG

Master Caution is one big square button with round body. easy to drill hole for.

jqiebbe6w9reqrm9.JPG

plwma6h3f7vxhkra.JPG

Both CDU and UFC were kinda done last time. But the rocker switches were extremely stiff to push. so i decided to redo and use normal push buttons to replace all rockers.

and these two fellas.

crn7383qg7gwh5cx.JPG

Craig, i saw your youtube on the matrix before. but i was too slow to understand :doh:

if i can figure it out then i'd do the matrix.

CMSC.

55s3co51wqvxb5dd.JPG

printed paper over some parts of a pcb. lol it doesn't get lazier than that!

lcsb928m3f7d0tvh.JPG

Now CMSP.

g58ftplnaxrt2ege.JPG

vdbs7lqqsmna4qry.JPG

i like this solution because i get square buttons with round body. easy to drill!

y7szpzansxq8r006.JPG

as the buttons are red, so i printed the labels red too instead of grey, it's supposedly color.

• 2 weeks later...

tbdyu5zb37ojdooz.JPG

my simple/lazy solution to the oxygen regulator panel's handles. :music_whistling:

q3jzpts88usnj1k5.JPG

1ahl6o4k3mmub2u4.JPG

on the left is still a rotary switch on the outer ring and an encoder inside. i've explained in the past how i did it. A bit tricky but with patience it's still doable. you have to open up the rotary switch, taking care of the two ball bearings inside might shoot out and lose them, so you open it up in a big clear zip lock bag to catch the ball bearings.

as for the long spring inside rotary switch, you need to cut it into two parts, and trim them shorter by 10% each. in the middle you put a rod through the hole in the rotary switch, then insert the springs on both sides of the switch, then the ball bearings, then close them without letting the ball bearings fall out, which is the tricky part. without trimming the springs, with the rod taking some space, the springs might be too squeezed so it'd be difficult to load the ball bearings and close up the switch.

below the rotary switch you need to drill a hole into the stem of the encoder to stick the rod in. so that the inner inner above can turn the encoder below the rotary switch.

to the right of the ILS i've changed to a simpler solution than the past. now it's a concentric encoder. one for frequency, one for volume.

These are all copies from China and not real parts correct.

Over a dozen F16 and ACES items just got listed for sale

at

https://www.ebay.com/str/therealsimworld.

72juw5fp6oj41143.JPG

dz93zrnrb5tix3zk.JPG

https://www.shapeways.com/shops/a-10c-warthog-supplies

https://forum.dcs.world/topic/133818-deadmans-cockpit-base-plans/#comment-133824

CNCs and Laser engravers are great but they can't do squat with out a precise set of plans.

Hi Shawn, looks good. Whilst you're focusing on inputs to the sim rather than outputs, for the tacan and ils panel it probably wouldn't add much extra time to put one of those MAX7219 4 Digit 7 segment displays behind. Even if you didn't wire it up, it would be there for the future if you then wanted to and would blend in with the panel.

Coloured padels look fine. I've been looking online for switches for this panel and they aren't easy to find or come by.

36g7vcen0tve5kfj.JPG

Combined ILS knob and the base of another knob, to form knob for VHF.

x4yzd3sbxczorsef.JPG

d6pjww352akws6sz.JPG

more static radio window display. :doh:

Added a small push button to the back of the switch guard to tell DCS it's being flipped open.

ikgdp3e57jexl74j.JPG

uhkyai8onc19s08i.JPG

For canopy jettision panel, there is a small lever at the back to detect case open for boarding ladder.

n67ar4xwqju6mz4j.JPG

6j43hcq2q70anj1l.JPG

2qy2qgy02nngrn5b.jpg

jettison handle extended using another push pull switch.

71ewnobooi505psn.JPG