Cannot hit anything

LordFluffyBottom

Ive tried everything. I had the clearest shot in the world, and im seeing the cannon tracers just fire everywhere but the reticle, even when in gyro, it never lands, never goes anywhere near the reticle fixed/gyro, whats wrong? The pilot gave me full on easy mode, side on, aim then just every shot missing? *Edit and yes i did range my gyro and mark the wingspan

is there some tutorial? cause these cannons are really getting on my nerve, like the leading is 10km away from the target itself lol

Edited by LordFluffyBottom

This is a heat effect I believe. If you fire the guns continuously the effect simulates the gun barrels warping. Hence the idea is to shoot in short bursts

to prevent overheating the gun barrels. Once they overheat they won't shoot straight.

Try this on the ground. Taxi over to some target and try your guns there. First do short bursts and then long , say 3 second bursts. See what happens.

Restarting the mission should reset the effect.

Here is a line from the Mig-15bis.lua file showing they take this into account.

name = "HeatEffectExt" , shot_heat = 7.823, barrel_k = 0.462 * 2.7, body_k = 0.462 * 14.3

I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy and I've had both.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

This is a heat effect I believe. If you fire the guns continuously the effect simulates the gun barrels warping. Hence the idea is to shoot in short bursts

to prevent overheating the gun barrels. Once they overheat they won't shoot straight.

Try this on the ground. Taxi over to some target and try your guns there. First do short bursts and then long , say 3 second bursts. See what happens.

Restarting the mission should reset the effect.

Here is a line from the Mig-15bis.lua file showing they take this into account.

name = "HeatEffectExt" , shot_heat = 7.823, barrel_k = 0.462 * 2.7, body_k = 0.462 * 14.3

Ahh ty! yes, i have really gone trigger happy when i see the enemy :lol:

Also, I find the gunsight Gyro mode rather useless in a quick dogfight. You are probably better off with the fixed reticle. Just remember, at max 600 meters, the 23mm guns shoot pretty much straight ahead. The 37mm should not be fired since it has a very pronounced balistical curve. Only use this one when you are close for better hit probability.

Happy Flying! :pilotfly:

The heat effects are totally over done. The shot heat of 7.823Kj is the same for the P51's ANM2 .50"cal Brownings, the ANM3'S in the F86 (but these two would be similar since they use the same ammunition types) But its also the same for the Mig 15 for both the 23mm and the 37mm, seems very strange and incorrect.

Also the barrel and body (receiver) mass for heat absorption is the same in game lua files for the Migs 23mm and 37mm cannons and the F86's ANM3 .50"cal guns. These all use 2.7 (kg) for the barrel and 14.3 (kg) for the body, these figures are IRL incorrect.

P51 body and barrel weights are different but also IRL incorrect.

IRL the barrels on these guns will last may sorties and many 1000's of rounds when used correctly, lesser numbers of rounds when used incorrectly. But in game you can kill the guns/cannons and get massive dispersion with just a few bursts, a big shame for a sim of this quality and attention to detail. The guns heat but never really cool properly, this needs to be addressed as well as several other aspects of the gunnery (correct ammo types, damage modeling, sights, heating, cooling, freezing, stoppages, harmonization ranges etc) of these older type planes where the gun/cannon is the primary armament.

Devs and mods, please dont take this as an attack on your fine product, but purely as constructive critisism and to bring gunnery up to as realisic level as possible.

I would like this tweaked a bit. It can be quite frustrating. But if they have evidence to suggest this is a true representation of the guns on the real F-86 I guess full realism is what we are after.

harrier landing GIFRYZEN 7 3700X Running at 4.35 GHz

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080Ti

32gb DDR4 RAM @3200 MHz

Oculus CV1 NvME 970 EVO

TM Warthog Stick & Throttle plus 11" extension. VKB T-Rudder MKIV

I would like this tweaked a bit. It can be quite frustrating. But if they have evidence to suggest this is a true representation of the guns on the real F-86 I guess full realism is what we are after.

Realism is what we should strive for. I dont want it tweaking a bit because i find it frustrating, i'd like the guns and cannon to perform as IRL . Infomation to support this level and speed of heating? and or dispersion?, non cooling? etc what ever the cause will not exist to support exactly what we see at present in the sim. Gun barrels do get hot, shot groups/dispersion can widen, barrel harmonics will change, but the net effects IRL will not be what we have at present in the sim. if they were every gun barrel IRL would be wrecked after a few bursts.

Think its already been confirmed for the P51.?

Again no offense, just constructive critisism, for realisms sake.

Edited by Hubert Bigglesworth

Realism is what we should strive for. I dont want it tweaking a bit because i find it frustrating, i'd like the guns and cannon to perform as IRL . Infomation to support this level and speed of heating? and or dispersion?, non cooling? etc what ever the cause will not exist to support exactly what we see at present in the sim. Gun barrels do get hot, shot groups/dispersion can widen, barrel harmonics will change, but the net effects IRL will not be was we have at present in the sim. if they were every gun barrel IRL would be wrecked after a few bursts.

Think its already been confirmed for the P51.?

Again no offense, just constructive critisism, for realisms sake.

Yeah I've no problem with learning to adapt to this provided it is fully accurate. If it's not I would like it tweaked, it appers to to be something that is easy to do (overheat the guns) and if this is fully accurate would have been something that F-86 pilots would have had to be very conscious of, because of the consequences in a life v death situation. I shall get used to it eventually.

harrier landing GIFRYZEN 7 3700X Running at 4.35 GHz

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080Ti

32gb DDR4 RAM @3200 MHz

Oculus CV1 NvME 970 EVO

TM Warthog Stick & Throttle plus 11" extension. VKB T-Rudder MKIV