[REPORTED] Engine windmilling fix?

bkthunder

Is there any chance we will get, with the new damage modeling, some fixes and updates to the windmilling problem when the engine is off/damaged?

Handling emergencies should be one of the most interesting parts of operating the A-10, with all of its alternate systems, but right now DCS does a poor job at it because the HYD pressure never drops as it should, so you never really need to use realistic emergency procedures...

Edited by bkthunder
spelling

Windows 10 - Intel i7 7700K 4.2 Ghz (no OC) - Asus Strix GTX 1080 8Gb - 16GB DDR4 (3000 MHz) - SSD 500GB + WD Black FZEX 1TB 6Gb/s

Yeah that's what I'm also hoping for, to actually be able to "rely" on those that they would at least do something.

All the emergency system and backup stuff A-10C versus other aircraft means it should appropriately receive more focus when it get's it's damage-model upgraded.

Modules: A-10C I/II, F/A-18C, Mig-21Bis, M-2000C, AJS-37, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, P-47, FC3, SC, CA, WW2AP, CE2. Terrains: NTTR, Normandy, Persian Gulf, Syria

I sent all the data needed to fix this issue well over a year ago, basically I don't expect it to be fixed seeing as how it's a bug that has been there since the A-10C was in beta and even after providing all the data still wasn't fixed.

Still, better late than never so maybe eventually get to that, you sould link to it where you posted that?

It could be the sensetive area of the airplane, for some reason. They should at least clarify if it is sensetive area or maybe there's no docs about those specifics?

Modules: A-10C I/II, F/A-18C, Mig-21Bis, M-2000C, AJS-37, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, P-47, FC3, SC, CA, WW2AP, CE2. Terrains: NTTR, Normandy, Persian Gulf, Syria

Still, better late than never so maybe eventually get to that, you sould link to it where you posted that?

It could be the sensetive area of the airplane, for some reason. They should at least clarify if it is sensetive area or maybe there's no docs about those specifics?

It's not sensitive at all, I sent the info straight to Nineline, no reason to post it publicly especially with EDs rule about Tech Data posts.

I've read this post several times and I'm still not sure what the wind milling problem is. I just did an engine shutdown in flight and the RPM dropped to 10% and continued to drop slowly in level flight(auto pilot on) to almost 2% percent before my air speed became too low. So I preformed a dive(pulled out at 300 knots) at which time the RPM started to increase back to 10%.

In level flight again(auto pilot on) the engine RPM began its slow return to 2% RPM.

The hydraulic issue. During this engine shutdown. The hydraulic pressure started its slow decline. Is it suppose to rapidly drop to zero?

During the dive and the engine RPM coming back up, the hydraulic pressure also started coming back up. More engine rotation, more hydraulic pump rotation, more pressure. Is that wrong? Is the pressure suppose to drop to zero rapidly and stay there? If so, then I as an A-10 Crew Chief forgot to tell the pilot that my plane has a small hydraulic leak. Don't worry about it.

I've read this post several times and I'm still not sure what the wind milling problem is. I just did an engine shutdown in flight and the RPM dropped to 10% and continued to drop slowly in level flight(auto pilot on) to almost 2% percent before my air speed became too low. So I preformed a dive(pulled out at 300 knots) at which time the RPM started to increase back to 10%.

In level flight again(auto pilot on) the engine RPM began its slow return to 2% RPM.

The hydraulic issue. During this engine shutdown. The hydraulic pressure started its slow decline. Is it suppose to rapidly drop to zero?

During the dive and the engine RPM coming back up, the hydraulic pressure also started coming back up. More engine rotation, more hydraulic pump rotation, more pressure. Is that wrong? Is the pressure suppose to drop to zero rapidly and stay there? If so, then I as an A-10 Crew Chief forgot to tell the pilot that my plane has a small hydraulic leak. Don't worry about it.

So what is this post trying to do? It’s wrong, I supplied the data to ED, and i know it’s wrong from real world experience working A-10s.

Maybe the dude, just wanted you to go into detail with what the problem is, for people who don't see it ....

Not just "What are you saying ? You are wrong ! I've send data !"

But that might just be me ....

'Shadow'

Everybody gotta be offended and take it personally now-a-days

Maybe the dude, just wanted you to go into detail with what the problem is, for people who don't see it ....

Not just "What are you saying ? You are wrong ! I've send data !"

But that might just be me ....

The search function on the forum works, plenty of discussions about this over the years. Not to mention the below rule:

1.16 Posting images, file links, and file sharing links of military aircraft documents newer than 1980 is strictly prohibited on our forums. Such posts will be removed.

Edited by Snoopy

Explaining it with couple of words as what is the base of the problem (i.e. "X is not correct, because Y shouldn't happen and I have send the proof") would have bean a lot easier and would have cost you less time, than to type in these two posts and go check which forum rule were you referring. Not to mention that no one has asked you about sharing any of the documents.

Ow and searching for threads with the name "windmill problem" didn't show up anything useful. Only if someone had said more precisely what they think the problem is, showed a screenshot or a video from DCS highlighting the problem ... or hell.... linked an old thread about it .... only if...

Like the last two post you made on this thread, no offence and nothing personal, literally gave out no useful information about anything... just posts saying "you are stupid". If it was that hard to reference to something old, why bother answering ? "I could tell you what he actually means and end this conversation and not have to post about it anymore, but I am not and I will just post to tell you that you are stupid"

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

'Shadow'

Everybody gotta be offended and take it personally now-a-days

Ok I did some digging through my collection and found a picture(have many more). It was taken during my deployment with the 81st F.S. in support of Operation Allied Force. I'm sure ED has it, but I thought I'd share it with the newer members of the A-10 community.

Damage modelers, if you decide to go this far. Take your time(in years). I can wait.

World 2.5 is in my eyes, a Master piece. :thumbup:

Perspective.thumb.jpg.a28e0748e0e1fc647034b584529906d9.jpg

Engine1.thumb.jpg.3740dfca902aaf6ef58a444c0cf582f7.jpg

Ok I did some digging through my collection and found a picture(have many more). It was taken during my deployment with the 81st F.S. in support of Operation Allied Force. I'm sure ED has it, but I thought I'd share it with the newer members of the A-10 community.

Damage modelers, if you decide to go this far. Take your time(in years). I can wait.

World 2.5 is in my eyes, a Master piece. :thumbup:

If you're in maintenance you should have access in to get the same TO that I did to provide ED the reasons why a windmilling engine wouldn't product hydraulic power like it does in DCS World. I'd happily tell you what it is through .mil email traffic, but not on the forums or through PMs.

Here's some damage from a bird strike one of my birds took at Hawgsmoke this year.

yPzWHq.jpg

uPAA6z.jpg

ynRoLi.jpg

B1fGyT.jpg

Edited by Snoopy

I'm in maintenance, but at Tinker AFB on the KC-135s at Depot.

I spent most of my A.F. Career on A-10s as a crew chief.

81-980 81st at Spang

79-196 357th at DM

82-665 354th at DM

I just pulled out the trusted A-10s over Kosovo and you're right.

The chapter 'Fear, Luck, and Divine Intervention' page 249 tells the story.

There's not enough(wind milling) to produce any 'useable' hydraulic power.

I have a few connections at Hill AFB(Depot side).

I'll double check our T.O. library and see if Tinker has access to any A-10C/TF-34 data

Thanks for sharing the photos.

Edited by Buzzard

Here's some damage from a bird strike one of my birds took at Hawgsmoke this year.

:D

That was a very slow bird, I though most birds outrun the A-10. :smartass:

At least it didn't hit the blades.

To whom it may concern,

I am an idiot, unfortunately for the world, I have a internet connection and a fondness for beer....apologies for that.

Thank you for you patience.

Many people don't want the truth, they want constant reassurance that whatever misconception/fallacies they believe in are true..

:D

That was a very slow bird, I though most birds outrun the A-10. :smartass:

At least it didn't hit the blades.

It definitely wasn't a little pigeon me thinks. Looks like a good hit.

ynRoLi.jpg

i7-7700K OC @ 5Ghz | ASUS IX Hero MB | ASUS GTX 1080 Ti STRIX | 32GB Corsair 3000Mhz | Corsair H100i V2 Radiator | Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVMe 500G SSD | Samsung 850 EVO 500G SSD | Corsair HX850i Platinum 850W | Oculus Rift | ASUS PG278Q 27-inch, 2560 x 1440, G-SYNC, 144Hz, 1ms | VKB Gunfighter Pro

Chuck's DCS Tutorial Library

Download PDF Tutorial guides to help get up to speed with aircraft quickly and also great for taking a good look at the aircraft available for DCS before purchasing. Link

• 2 years later...

Bumping this thread since this wasn't fixed. 

I'd like to hear the rationale behind leaving this unresolved though, ED launched the new A-10C II and cashed in on it, so what's preventing them from fixing old errors?

Windows 10 - Intel i7 7700K 4.2 Ghz (no OC) - Asus Strix GTX 1080 8Gb - 16GB DDR4 (3000 MHz) - SSD 500GB + WD Black FZEX 1TB 6Gb/s

• 1 year later...