AAR Widget

Ice_Pick

Hello,

I have been working on A-A refueling for the past week or so and have been having trouble matching the speed:joystick:, so I know it won't be as accurate but is there a way to display the tanker's IAS while still in the cockpit?

Thanks,

Jamie

DCS A10C / DCS Black Shark /DCS F-14/Persian Gulf map/ Nevada/huey/gazelle/f18/f16/ajs37/harrier/A-4

16gb 2400 RAM / Ryzen 5 3600 / ROG Strix RX 570 /750W thermaltake PSU

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Good question. I cant think of a way from the pit. F10 menu would do it if you are willing to break from reality.

As for procedure, Id encourage you not to rush the rejoin. Take your time and close slowly. Your closure rate should decrease as you get closer tp the tanker. Constant, but small adjustments. Best of luck.

Custom Pit 476 Recruiting

i9-12900KF, 32 GB DDR5, Gigabyte Aorus Z690 Master, Gigabyte RTX 2080 Ti, 1TB Sabrent Roket 4+ 2x750GB RAID-0, TrackIR 5 /w clip, CRG9 49” Curved Ultrawide Flight Display+15" Touchscreen+17" Gauges display, Thrustmaster Warthog+7.5cm, Saitek Pro Combat Pedals, Streamdeck, Butt Kicker and pneumatic G-Seat

Forums Signature V4_500x100_20220716.png

Forums Signature V4_500x100_20221002.png

[...] is there a way to display the tanker's IAS while still in the cockpit?

Not in regards to the A-10C's systems.

Some other units, like F-16s, are actually datalink capable and will show up on the TAD, and their ground speed will be displayed when the TAD cursor is placed over them. I wouldn't be too surprised if modern tankers could do that as well, but the current DCS KC-135 can't.

There's still TACAN, which will display distance from the tanker in the HSI Range Indicator window when the tanker's TACAN is properly dialed in, but this will only give a very rough indication for the closure rate.

Since the tanker doesn't communicate its speed, it comes down to knowing the speed via the briefing. IMO any proper mission briefing should include the tanker's speed, and should also be very clear on the type of speed (IAS, TAS, GS).

But ultimately, it comes down to formation flying. It certainly helps to know the speed of the aircraft you're joining up with, but in the end you need to match this aircraft's speed and line up with it in a specific formation. And that is something that only practice, practice, and more practice will really help you with. Just like AAR itself. :smartass:

• 2 weeks later...

Normally you would fly formation with the tanker on its left wing before you would rejoin. If you are able to fly in formation with the tanker you know its speed. Since AAR is basically in huge parts formation flying it's even good practise for AAR to fly in formation with the tanker a little bit longer until your are sure about its speed.

Main Module: AH-64D

Personal Wishlist: HH-60G, F-117A, B-52H