F14 Case I Pattern/Landing Tips - Page 17 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 04-02-2019, 06:27 PM   #161
nicka117

Quote:
Originally Posted by metzger View Post
I struggle to trim it good enough, it always wants to go somewhere, and even if I somehow manage to get it close on downwind, in the base turn it goes fast if I dont pull a bit then on the groove you turn against the wind and trim is totally messed up again..

Sent from my Redmi 4 using Tapatalk
Yes, I found same, can get it onspeed straight and level, and then wants to go fast in the turn. Started trying to trim in the turn--pretty useless. I just pulled the stick to get a bit more nose attitude and then when I roll out, it seems back in trim.

After this latest update, it seems a like it stays onspeed a little better.

But, generally I almost found it easier to turn the hud off, get it trimmed straight and level, and then just bump the stick around in reference to the AOA indexer, and move the throttle based on VSI.

Once you get the hang of those two separate activities, how they relate to each other starts to become intuitive. If low and slow, hold stick and add a little power; if fast and low, add a little nose attitude and add power; if slow and high, bump the stick forward first, and then maybe pull power. It becomes a concert of movement and you don't have to think out it.

When you are learning it, it feels like a mini-wrestling match...but after you get the feel, and you become one with the machine, its almost like an art-form.

Last edited by nicka117; 04-02-2019 at 06:40 PM.
nicka117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 06:39 PM   #162
=BJM=

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicka117 View Post
Yes, I found same, can get it onspeed straight and level, and then wants to go fast in the turn. Started trying to trim in the turn--pretty useless. I just pulled the stick to get a bit more nose attitude and then when I roll out, it seems back in trim.

After this latest update, it seems a like it stays onspeed a little better.

But, generally I almost found it easier to turn the hud off, get it trimmed straight and level, and then just bump the stick around in reference to the AOA indexer, and move the throttle based on VSI.
Yep, same here as well...the turn from the downwind to the groove requires just a bit of back pressure on the stick to keep the nose up. Once I am trimmed up AoA on the downwind, i don't touch the trim again...a little stick and a bunch of throttle adjustments.
Old 04-02-2019, 11:31 PM   #163
nicka117

Quote:
Originally Posted by =BJM= View Post
Yep, same here as well...the turn from the downwind to the groove requires just a bit of back pressure on the stick to keep the nose up. Once I am trimmed up AoA on the downwind, i don't touch the trim again...a little stick and a bunch of throttle adjustments.
Exactly.
nicka117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 07:50 AM   #164
Larkis

I made good experiences with the DLC on the final.

First few attems to case 1, i tried to fly like the Hornet. Got the break, trimm to OnSpeed and then break. Sadly that dont work good for me in the tomcat. The E bracket is moving a lot and i cant "catch" it and even if i got, the groove messed up my full trimming.

So thats what i do:
I fly with HUD on in ICLS Mode. i pass the boat with 350kn and go into the break with wings 20°, Speedbrakes max, on 250kn i put gears down, when the speed needle pass the 200kn mark (i think it is 200? the white triangle where the not moving part of the gauge start) i put down the landing flaps.

After break i trim to +8-9° pitch and put my speed on ca 150kn, try to holding a height between 600kn and 800kn.

In the groove i only look on ICLS for height, to come out on glideslope. When im on final i start to catch the Donut and reduce speed. My target is to be good in height on ICLS glideslope and holding the donut.
When i see the ball, i extend DLC Slats and make minor adjustments only with the DLCs. I try not to move throttle or Stick, do keep holding the donut. Most of the time i could hold the ball in the middle and catch a good 2 or 3 wire.

Maybe that could help something. In the end its a wy that works good for me. Mostly.
Larkis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 11:18 AM   #165
Panther 976

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victory205 View Post
Cruise mode is useless. If not in combat, use Landing Mode. Turn the HUD brightness down, or use the Red filter if you are going to use it for the break. Don't need to turn it off, just way down. Leaving it on and dim provide a back up if the VDI fails. The CRT's would overheat and go black on occasion, mostly during shipboard operations.

It is good to practice flying using the peanut gyro and BDHI. You thought that flying without a HUD was bad? Try it without the VDI.
Do you mean using landing mode all the time as long as not in combat ?

I was wondering about something else. When you see guys breaking over the boat, do they make a descending turn from 800ft to 600ft ? Or do they still make a level break at 800ft and then descend to 600ft on a super short downwind ?
Panther 976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 11:45 AM   #166
Victory205

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panther 976 View Post
Do you mean using landing mode all the time as long as not in combat ?

I was wondering about something else. When you see guys breaking over the boat, do they make a descending turn from 800ft to 600ft ? Or do they still make a level break at 800ft and then descend to 600ft on a super short downwind ?
Please read the Landing Tips paper. It's all in there.
Old 04-06-2019, 11:39 AM   #167
METEOP

I'm getting more and more less terrible at this. I have mainly three problems now.

One is when I break and the wings come forward I find it very hard to stay at the same altitude. Because of the lift increase due to the change in sweep I have a tendency of 'ballooning' upwards. After I struggle to find time to get trimmed on speed even if breaking at 3nm.

Two is alignment. Very rarely do I come into the groove at the correct aspect leading to spectacular fireworks on deck. I think it might be a timing problem with starting the approach turn. In the various explanations I've read it says to turn abeam the LSO shack or at the white of the round down. I struggle to figure out what to look for the correct timing.

Three is roll oscillation. I have a TM warthog and although it is very precise I have a hard time not to oscillate on high aoa and low speeds. I have a curve of 18 in the axis tuning. Is the tomcat really so sensitive on the roll axis or am I missing something?

i5-6600K OC@4.5Ghz, GTX 1070 OC, 16Gb RAM, M.2 SSD
Warthog HOTAS, Saitek Rudder Pro, Trackhat Clip, 1080p projector, Custom touchscreen rig, Ikarus touchscreen panel, Voice Attack, ReShade, Simshaker Aviator
METEOP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 01:13 PM   #168
=BJM=

Quote:
Originally Posted by METEOP View Post
I'm getting more and more less terrible at this. I have mainly three problems now.

One is when I break and the wings come forward I find it very hard to stay at the same altitude. Because of the lift increase due to the change in sweep I have a tendency of 'ballooning' upwards. After I struggle to find time to get trimmed on speed even if breaking at 3nm.

Two is alignment. Very rarely do I come into the groove at the correct aspect leading to spectacular fireworks on deck. I think it might be a timing problem with starting the approach turn. In the various explanations I've read it says to turn abeam the LSO shack or at the white of the round down. I struggle to figure out what to look for the correct timing.

Three is roll oscillation. I have a TM warthog and although it is very precise I have a hard time not to oscillate on high aoa and low speeds. I have a curve of 18 in the axis tuning. Is the tomcat really so sensitive on the roll axis or am I missing something?
Altitude management in the break and when setting up on downwind can be a challenge but I am finding that I am getting better with practice. For me, it is just a matter of feel and learning how the aircraft behaves and responds to my stick, throttle, and trim inputs.

Alignment is what I am struggling with the most right now. I am finding that I am always long in the groove and that I am also turning to sharply and have to ease my bank angle as I turn in. My abeam distance is 1.2nm and I start my turn abeam the LSO platform but my groove lengths end up being around 30 seconds or so. I am sure I am doing something wrong but I cannot figure out what it is.

I get a slight roll oscillation at times as well. I don't know if it's the Tomcat or us...
Old 04-06-2019, 02:21 PM   #169
Flamin_Squirrel

If anyone's using the instant action mission for Case I, DON'T!

I was struggling for ages with being too short in the groove, when I realised that the ship is only doing 10kts, with a 4kt wind (IIRC).
Flamin_Squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 02:26 PM   #170
Nealius
Veteran

And that's why I always make my own missions. Steaming 20kts into 5kt wind.

ASUS Z170 | i5-7600 | RTX2070 | 32GB DDR4 | Windows 10
Nealius is offline   Reply With Quote