F14 Case I Pattern/Landing Tips - Page 14 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 03-27-2019, 03:21 PM   #131
Victory205

Read the break to groove sequence carefully. Practice as you described, it will pay dividends.
Old 03-27-2019, 03:39 PM   #132
Q-Ball

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino Might View Post
So, I think it is all coming down to needing more instrument flying and throttle management practice at low speed. I may just go fly circles with gear, flaps, hook, and airbrakes all deployed and try to keep altitude and AOA for a few hours.
This is more or less what I've started doing. Just flying around the field on-speed. I've also started to see where AoA begins to rise as you turn in the pattern and have begun to pre-emptively add power as I begin my turn onto final, rather than trying to catch the slow condition after it starts. Big help in managing both AoA and descent rate. I should probably experiment with adding power back as I complete the break; I am a bit wobbly there as I try to keep the VSI needle from moving too much one way or the other.

Knowing that I need to pull moderate Gs in the break also was a big contributing factor to having much closer to the proper spacing from the boat on the down-wind leg.
Q-Ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 06:38 PM   #133
=BJM=

Quote:
I may just go fly circles with gear, flaps, hook, and airbrakes all deployed and try to keep altitude and AOA for a few hours.
Excellent idea! I am going to do the same thing. I need work with every stage of the pattern but I need to master flying stable on speed first before trying to do everything else that a Case I requires.

Last edited by =BJM=; 03-27-2019 at 06:55 PM.
=BJM= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 06:58 PM   #134
VampireNZ

Quote:
So, I think it is all coming down to needing more instrument flying and throttle management practice at low speed. I may just go fly circles with gear, flaps, hook, and airbrakes all deployed and try to keep altitude and AOA for a few hours.
Yes that's what I had been doing in the F-5 when I learned to fly that, and have been doing in the F-14 which makes you realise how badly the aircraft holds an AOA, to the point you just end up mostly flying it with the stick and controlling AOA with pitch in anything apart from straight and level. Even in a level gentle bank it will alter as much as 5-8 degrees AOA, which seems like a lot.
But has been stated some clever folks are looking at trying to sort the AOA issues out - which would be super nice!

VampireNZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 07:06 PM   #135
=BJM=

Quote:
Originally Posted by VampireNZ View Post
Yes that's what I had been doing in the F-5 when I learned to fly that, and have been doing in the F-14 which makes you realise how badly the aircraft holds an AOA, to the point you just end up mostly flying it with the stick and controlling AOA with pitch in anything apart from straight and level. Even in a level gentle bank it will alter as much as 5-8 degrees AOA, which seems like a lot.
But has been stated some clever folks are looking at trying to sort the AOA issues out - which would be super nice!
The Tomcat's inability to hold AOA is my biggest struggle. With the Hornet (I know...bad habits), once stable on speed, the AOA sticks and I never have to control pitch with stick or trim again, even in turns. With the Tomcat, I can never achieve this stability.
Old 03-27-2019, 07:29 PM   #136
Ryano4242

When I was a kid we had F-4's going over our heads all day long at NAS Dallas...

Throttles constantly going up and down, even in the groove on final...I couldn't help but look up thinking the planes were in trouble!

No just very very analog...
Ryano4242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 07:35 PM   #137
=BJM=

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryano4242 View Post
When I was a kid we had F-4's going over our heads all day long at NAS Dallas...

Throttles constantly going up and down, even in the groove on final...I couldn't help but look up thinking the planes were in trouble!

No just very very analog...
The same throttle changes are even needed with the Hornet. This is normal.

What I struggle with his how much the throttle changes in the Tomcat will cause instability and require a need for stick input.
Old 03-27-2019, 07:43 PM   #138
Ryano4242

Ahh...I've give just a bit of nose trim with a small power increase just a touch of the hat switch and vice versa...off center thrust slightly below centerline.

Coming from the Milviz F-4E and F-104 constant trimming is almost habitual now.

There is a great 70's movie about the Blue Angels called Threshold one part they were showing the pilot's inputs as he's trying to tank up in the Phantom...whoa!
Ryano4242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 09:19 PM   #139
metzger

Same here. trimming on speed is nightmare it goes all over the place.
metzger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 09:54 AM   #140
Nealius
Veteran

After upgrading my video card trimming is fine for me now, but descent rate is all over the place. I'm either falling like a rock or zooming off like a rocket, with nothing between. Throttles at 95% if not more to stay level on-speed with empty bags and 4,000lbs of fuel. I also can't seem to reproduce the bank angle/abeam distance in DCS. Downwind, 1.2nm abeam, 30° bank and I still often overshoot. According to the paper I should only need 22-25° of bank at that distance. This isn't unique to the Tomcat, as 30° bank at 0.9nm abeam in the Hornet also always results in an overshoot for me. I can't figure out what's going on there.

ASUS Z170 | i5-7600 | RTX2070 | 32GB DDR4 | Windows 10
Nealius is offline   Reply With Quote