F14 Case I Pattern/Landing Tips - Page 13 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 03-26-2019, 01:24 PM   #121
Victory205

Amazing, considering how much the wingsweep selection is emphasized in the article. However now you know how to learn and apply knowledge, so it was worth it.

I still close my eyes and visualize complex, critical maneuvers, step by step, before I fly a trip, and I've been doing this for 40 years.
Old 03-26-2019, 08:15 PM   #122
Flamin_Squirrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nealius View Post
Is anyone else finding it much easier to manage the throttles with boards in? I was trying it by-the-book with boards out all the way down, but I was having all sorts of problems. Decided to try leaving them in and now I'm consistently getting 2- and 3-wires.
I've not had much chance to practice, but initial impressions are yes, I think it is easier.
Flamin_Squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 08:50 PM   #123
fjacobsen

Great document with alot of information.

With this it´s only a matter of practice, practice, practice....

I can consistently land on the Carrier, and has come to a point where I do not trap the no. 1 wire very often, but more often than not, traps the no. 4 wire.

DLC helps a lot to "save" a no.1 or Bolter situation - as Victory205 says, 2 "dap" on the DLC helps alot.

The most dangerous situation is when getting behind the power curve i.e too high AOA, then it´s almost impossible not to go for a swim.
Old 03-26-2019, 09:21 PM   #124
VampireNZ

I am surprised at how bad the aircraft is at maintaining 'on-speed' once set. Was the actual aircraft this 'loose'?
I know I am not used to adjusting the nose attitude with every little throttle input, minor bank change..pushing the throttle up a bit AND having to pushing the nose forward in a mild bank to maintain the on-speed just feels strange ( I am trying to maintain alt in the bank, I don't want to descend!).

VampireNZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 09:35 PM   #125
=BJM=

Quote:
Originally Posted by VampireNZ View Post
I am surprised at how bad the aircraft is at maintaining 'on-speed' once set. Was the actual aircraft this 'loose'?
I know I am not used to adjusting the nose attitude with every little throttle input, minor bank change..pushing the throttle up a bit AND having to pushing the nose forward in a mild bank to maintain the on-speed just feels strange ( I am trying to maintain alt in the bank, I don't want to descend!).
I feel the same way. I know this all new and I have a lot of learning and practice to do, but on speed has been the biggest struggle so far. Instead of flying the plane, I feel like I am constantly fighting it and countering whatever it is trying to do. I have yet to achieve hands off on speed stability. Maybe I just need a lot more stick time with it.
Old 03-26-2019, 10:35 PM   #126
Victory205

It's probably a little off right now, but be patient, half the PHD's on the planet are working on it...

Landing the Tomcat was challenging to do precisely. It wasn't that difficult to do it compared to say, the TA-4J in terms of GS control. The former was far more stable than the skittish little Scooter.

Ensure that you are trimmed and aren't putting pressure on the stick inadvertently.
Old 03-27-2019, 11:27 AM   #127
Hamilton

Quote:
Originally Posted by VampireNZ View Post
Same here.
Hamilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 02:08 PM   #128
Q-Ball

Just wanted to add my thanks to Victory205 for the fantastic writeup. While I haven't yet managed to successfully land on the carrier, it has helped my approaches immensely. My flight group had a trap competition last night, and while I had a bunch of waveoffs and one bolter, I took the advice of "never accept a full slow condition" to heart, and I was never seriously in danger of crashing because of it.

Other big helps have been setting the throttle based on PPH instead of RPM like I was doing before (4000 PPH is like a magic wand for 400 kts) and the mandate to watch the instruments instead of the HUD. I think for my next FCLP session, I will turn the HUD all the way off.

My patterns are getting cleaner with every circuit around the airfield/boat, just need more reps.
Q-Ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 02:47 PM   #129
Victory205

Outstanding. Keep fighting, you’ll get there. You have the right mindset.

There are a lot of kids practicing bad habits that won’t work much longer.
Old 03-27-2019, 03:08 PM   #130
Dino Might

My pattern work is getting better in the early stages. The break and downwind are slowly converging on acceptable. But im having huge problems staying on speed and managing descent rate turning onto base and into the groove. I know my problem is getting behind the power curve, which seems like the ultimate kiss of death in the pattern.

Recently I have had more instances of needing full AB and abandoning the pattern in the base leg to avoid dumping it in the water. I think the problem is that I have been focusing more on the donut than on airspeed and fuel flow, so I'm not quick enough to throttle up when needed. Even when I am focused on airspeed, I find needing mil power for correction, which toggles DLC off, and then I have to recorrect to turn it on and once it is on again.

So, I think it is all coming down to needing more instrument flying and throttle management practice at low speed. I may just go fly circles with gear, flaps, hook, and airbrakes all deployed and try to keep altitude and AOA for a few hours.
Dino Might is offline   Reply With Quote