F14 Case I Pattern/Landing Tips - Page 10 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 03-20-2019, 02:24 PM   #91
Possum

Yes, it did. Not long after Hornets were limited to 350kts in the break. I’m not sure how long lived that was though. There was often a battle, old school vs the new Navy, and it would sway back and forth with changes of command. I didn’t stay around, but I’m pretty sure the battle was eventually lost.
I was ok with the nuggets not using Auto though.
Possum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 02:27 PM   #92
Victory205

Quote:
Originally Posted by Possum View Post
Yes, it did. Not long after Hornets were limited to 350kts in the break. I’m not sure how long lived that was though. There was often a battle, old school vs the new Navy, and it would sway back and forth with changes of command. I didn’t stay around, but I’m pretty sure the battle was eventually lost.
I was ok with the nuggets not using Auto though.
When? What timeframe was that? East or west, or was everything at Oceana when you were flying?
Old 03-20-2019, 02:33 PM   #93
Possum

2000-2004. Everything was at Oceana except for whatever VX-9 had, (and the Japan squadron). There were 12 Tomcat squadrons remaining at that point, IIRC.
Old 03-20-2019, 02:44 PM   #94
Victory205

Sort of the Bombcat years then? Maybe a different mindset. You are almost twenty years behind me, and missed a lot of wild times and fun.
Old 03-20-2019, 02:53 PM   #95
Possum

There were wild times and fun?

OEF/OIF is all I knew. No Med cruises, just straight to the CVOA and straight home with a short stop here and there.
Old 03-20-2019, 03:01 PM   #96
canned_fire

Hello Victory,
Thanks very much for the tips, I do enjoy leaning how things were done in real life. I don’t know if you are taking requests, but talking about how things were done in real life, would you share how the dark/cold startup was done? I have the NATOPS pocket checklist, but I was wandering if real life some steps/checks were omitted. Also the Jester startup skips a bunch of stuff, how much of that you should not skip? This kind of stuff…

Again, thanks very much, it is appreciated.
canned_fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 03:48 PM   #97
Victory205

Quote:
Originally Posted by canned_fire View Post
Hello Victory,
Thanks very much for the tips, I do enjoy leaning how things were done in real life. I don’t know if you are taking requests, but talking about how things were done in real life, would you share how the dark/cold startup was done? I have the NATOPS pocket checklist, but I was wandering if real life some steps/checks were omitted. Also the Jester startup skips a bunch of stuff, how much of that you should not skip? This kind of stuff…

Again, thanks very much, it is appreciated.
I'd rather spend six hours debating hemorrhoid surgery than talk about or perform a cold startup. I did it at least eight hundred times, and will never do it again. It took twenty minutes for a normal start, PC checks and launch at the field, and often thirty at the ship due to sequencing. It also didn't count for flight time in the USN.

The folks who are dedicated to realism here have my respect, but many of us thought that some of the checks accomplished nothing, other than putting wear and tear on systems that accelerated failures. Running the trim from stop to stop, cycling wings and flaps and so forth, sitting there in the heat, breathing jet exhaust with avionics baking. On an alert launch, or a cross country for that matter, we did none of that!

Hope you understand!
Old 03-20-2019, 03:52 PM   #98
Victory205

Quote:
Originally Posted by Possum View Post
There were wild times and fun?

OEF/OIF is all I knew. No Med cruises, just straight to the CVOA and straight home with a short stop here and there.
350 knot break? Did they have to add power to keep the deceleration rate reasonable? 540 was common at Oceana, with 480 considered minimum unless you were emergency fuel or dragging a flap or something.

Tailhook 91 and a bit of arrogance in the late eighties ruined the Navy, and should have never happened in the first place.

I did two Med Cruises and a North Atlantic. Still have great friends in France and people looking for me in Italy as a result. Don't tell anyone that you saw me.
Old 03-20-2019, 05:10 PM   #99
Possum

I heard the stories, but my timing wasn’t good. Sandbox port calls and beer days were the highlights of OEF. The Tomcat community was the last holdout for the old days, and our RR was still fun and distinct from Hornet RRs.
Old 03-21-2019, 12:09 AM   #100
Zeph

Hi dawgie, I'm having trouble with the f14 and Sidewinder locks and the sparrow nothing seems to lock on target I usually get a lost lock message. I don't know if its the beta version or my puter but a lot of screen jerks and locks lately. Jester seems to work when it wants to. Are you having any problems with the F14B
ACPI x64 PC
Corsair K70 RGB LUX
Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB
Intel i7-8700K@3.70GHz
GeFORCE GTX 1080 Ti
16GB DDR4 Corsair 3000 C15
Zeph is offline   Reply With Quote