what is the best fighter for VR?

fitness88

I would think that is global for the VR and should apply.

Also you can assign in the UI layer of the game's settings. I have my mouse click assigned to a button on my throttle, press the button and the crosshairs come up, then look at the switch with the Rift to get the crosshair over the switch, press the button again to flip the switch.

:thumbup: Brilliant, thanks dburne

ASUS Maximus X Hero; i7-8700K OC'd @ 5 Ghz; Zotac GeForce GTX 1080 AMP Extreme 8GB; 32GB G.Skill Trident Z DDR4 3200Mhz RAM; 500GB Samsung EVO 960 SSD; Warthog HOTAS; Saitek Pro Flight Rudder pedals; HP Reverb VR; Realtus Forcefeel Game Pad running on SimShaker for Aviators software. :thumbup:

I would think that is global for the VR and should apply.

Also you can assign in the UI layer of the game's settings. I have my mouse click assigned to a button on my throttle, press the button and the crosshairs come up, then look at the switch with the Rift to get the crosshair over the switch, press the button again to flip the switch.

dburne how have you managed to set the crosshair to be off, and then come on, on first press of button? I have set the mouse to throttle button, but crosshair is always on.

ASUS Maximus X Hero; i7-8700K OC'd @ 5 Ghz; Zotac GeForce GTX 1080 AMP Extreme 8GB; 32GB G.Skill Trident Z DDR4 3200Mhz RAM; 500GB Samsung EVO 960 SSD; Warthog HOTAS; Saitek Pro Flight Rudder pedals; HP Reverb VR; Realtus Forcefeel Game Pad running on SimShaker for Aviators software. :thumbup:

dburne how have you managed to set the crosshair to be off, and then come on, on first press of button? I have set the mouse to throttle button, but crosshair is always on.

I map a button to clickable mouse cockpit view on / off (default keybinding: Left Alt key + C ).

Edited by Bearfoot

The Mirage is the more advanced aircraft, as it is a generation ahead of the Viggen. Although your not going to get moving maps or gps, the INS system is pretty good and well implemented. Interacting with it is also very simple once you get the hang of it, certainly more comparable to the A10C but nowhere near as complex. As for Radar/Weapons its the same story, although the current Mirage module doesnt have A2G Radar implemented, it might be a possibilty in the future, but imagine it will take some time.

From a personal point of view i have gotten alot of enjoyment from learning the Mirage, its probably the only aircraft currently which i have learnt to the same level as the A10C and it feels like home when i get back into the pit. Its a very capable fighter and can conduct A2G missions fairly compentently.

From a VR perspective, i have found myself having to VR zoom a little more in the Viggen, but this maybe just because i'm not quite up to speed on it yet. In the Mirage i have flown alot and have never had a thought of being restricted in anyway operating it. HUD is nice and clear and all the "important" switches are easy to see and find in different light conditions. The dials can be compared to most other modules, sometimes it might take a second glance, but really isnt a problem.

A little of the Viggen as i say i cannot comment to much on operation as i'm still learning, but the feel and look of it in VR is probably the best available at the moment. This isnt saying the Mirage is not quality, far from it, it looks very very good in VR. The Viggen is definatly a bit more workload as it is an older airframe, you have to think a little more about cockpit interaction and procedures for different phases of a sortie, aswell as being aware of INS drift.

I dont want to go on anymore, i think its safe to say both modules are definatly worth a purchase. I do think the Mirage will be a good "bridge" airframe to learn, as you still have the HUD and more modern systems. You will have to use instruments a bit more than the A10C and the interaction with them can be good fun.

Do you find you can read the numbers and other details on the Mirage radar without zooming? I find that difficult to do: the print is so fine. This means going REALLY heads down to get any info!

Well not sure if I managed to set it that way, but mine is like that already. Crosshair is off and comes on briefly at the press of the button, then goes off again shortly after.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Not a problem. :)

As others have mentioned, keep in mind the Viggen is really a strike aircraft, the limited A2A IR capability, is primarily for defense. The Mirage will offer the flexibility... but there is something special, about flying the Viggen as it was intended, extremely low and fast.

I hope you enjoy whichever choice you make.

Thanks.

In the days when I used multi-monitors I was able to set up one monitor showing the manual.pdf and flip through the instructions as I was flying. How is it done now without flipping off/on the headset constantly? My only thought would be to load it into the kneeboard builder.

It might sound weird, but not having the manual to hand when being in the rift has actually improved my learning process. Without the ability to easily reference the docs, it forces you into having to have more of an understanding of whatever aspect you want to train on without being in the pit.

Just takes a little more prep work out of the cockpit, wether it be flight manual or other sources. Occasionally i will pause and lift the rift, if its something complex that i just cant nail.

Do you find you can read the numbers and other details on the Mirage radar without zooming? I find that difficult to do: the print is so fine. This means going REALLY heads down to get any info!
I would agree seeing the information on the radar screen can be tricky, i find a do have to lean in a little if there is alot of new info. If for example i am keeping track of a targets heading/closing speed. Once i know the initial information, quick glances are enough to keep you up to date.

But i agree it could be clearer.

Edited by Shadow.D.

I know from having the A-10c, there were a lot of functions I just couldn't figure out without studying the manual. I take it the M2000c and AJS-37 are no less complex in their nav, radar, and weapon systems.

I've enjoyed so much learning Black Shark. Got it the day of release. The first fully functional module. It's been many years since and I still enjoy flying it. I bought mirage a year ago but never even bothered trying it because it wasn't quite ready. About 2 months ago I decided it was time to try it out. Found Chuck's guide really useful in combination with the manual. Really enjoyed learning it. Now I have 3 favorite modules Ka-50, mig-21 (cockpit is stunning in vr) and M-2000 is my number 1 at the moment.

I've enjoyed so much learning Black Shark. Got it the day of release. The first fully functional module. It's been many years since and I still enjoy flying it. I bought mirage a year ago but never even bothered trying it because it wasn't quite ready. About 2 months ago I decided it was time to try it out. Found Chuck's guide really useful in combination with the manual. Really enjoyed learning it. Now I have 3 favorite modules Ka-50, mig-21 (cockpit is stunning in vr) and M-2000 is my number 1 at the moment.

What's your learning technique? Did you make Chuck's guide into a kneeboard file or how did you fly and learn without popping off the headset every few minutes?

What's your learning technique? Did you make Chuck's guide into a kneeboard file or how did you fly and learn without popping off the headset every few minutes?

I wish I knew how to make manuals or guides into a kneeboard. I just jump into the cockpit of an aircraft and try to get familiar with it looking at all the switches and gauges. Then I take a manual and guide and just read:book:. I read through the basic functionality first then go into basic training missions like start up and navigation. Start up is always the hardest part and I do start up mission a few times up to 3 times in the row depending on complexity of a given aircraft. Then the next day I do 3 start ups myself (every time trying to do it faster) by then I feel pretty confident and have no issues remembering even if I take a long break from flying. Then I read on navigation systems then do the training mission on take off and navigation. Same process with weapon systems and so on.

There are also videos on youtube that can be helpful.

It might sound weird, but not having the manual to hand when being in the rift has actually improved my learning process. Without the ability to easily reference the docs, it forces you into having to have more of an understanding of whatever aspect you want to train on without being in the pit.

Just takes a little more prep work out of the cockpit, wether it be flight manual or other sources. Occasionally i will pause and lift the rift, if its something complex that i just cant nail.

I agree, that is the way to do it!

Maybe if your system allows increase you pixel density. I have it at 1.7 and radar is very clear.

Edited by RUS38

I wish I knew how to make manuals or guides into a kneeboard. I just jump into the cockpit of an aircraft and try to get familiar with it looking at all the switches and gauges. Then I take a manual and guide and just read:book:. I read through the basic functionality first then go into basic training missions like start up and navigation. Start up is always the hardest part and I do start up mission a few times up to 3 times in the row depending on complexity of a given aircraft. Then the next day I do 3 start ups myself (every time trying to do it faster) by then I feel pretty confident and have no issues remembering even if I take a long break from flying. Then I read on navigation systems then do the training mission on take off and navigation. Same process with weapon systems and so on.

There are also videos on youtube that can be helpful.

Thanks for the tip RUS38.

I guess it depends on what version of DCS you are using, i get the feeling there might be more problems with 2.0 versions.

Honestly i wouldnt like to comment on current bugs as i have not flown the Mirage since the Viggen release. I can say that the time i spent in the aircraft pre 1.5.6 (Viggen Update). There really wasnt any major bugs that inhibited flying sorties in the Mirage, was able to learn everything i needed to without any issues and flew the campaign with no problems outside of a couple of editor related bugs.

But they are very good with mission/campaign updates which can be found on the forums before they are included with any DCS updates, if you dont want to wait for ED.

I would advise having a little dig deeper into this, see what others say. As for 2.0 versions i cannot comment as i do not really fly on NTTR. It could be worth waiting for the next 1.5.6 update before purchasing either module, as i'm sure alot of the niggling bugs will be sorted (assuming more dont arise).

The cockpit is in French, but honestly it didnt bother me. I'm sure there are English mods, but i couldnt confirm that. As for the French, its kind of takes a back seat as really your learning what the switches do and the layout, as you would other aircraft. Once you know that, it becomes second nature hitting the switches you need. Tooltips are in english as a backup and everything else is relatable to every other aircraft in terms of dials/readouts. So i really didnt have any issues.

There is also alot of learning material out there for the Mirage, some very good youtube series going over most aspects. I'm sure you are already aware of these channels, but if not they are very good, along side the flight manual. Everything i have needed has been covered.

youtube.com/user/4023446

youtube.com/channel/UCgf5iXct_J8EQ_erBSsu6OA

Indeed the Mirage is capable of A2A refueling, it uses the probe-and-drogue method. Which is different and interesting to use, easier in some ways to the A10C, but also different challenges (getting used to the fly-by-wire during this can be tricky). But with training and with the advantages of VR depth perception, is satisfying to get it right.

It can carry up to three drop tanks for long range sorties, the central drop tank is slightly smaller than the wing bags and is sufficient for most flights.

Out of interest have you got the thread link for this major bug, in the Mirage forum? Would be interesting to take a look.

edit:

• 2 months later...
I wish I knew how to make manuals or guides into a kneeboard. ....

There is absolutely a way to import any PDF page you like into the Kneeboard for ref - is super handy!

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=129341

http://www.dcskneeboardbuilder.com/

Have a bunch of the weapon range setting cards for the F-5, and emerg proc/warning light info for the F-15 etc.

:thumbup:

Edited by VampireNZ

Asus Maximus VIII Hero Alpha| i7-6700K @ 4.60GHz | nVidia GTX 1080ti Strix OC 11GB @ 2075MHz| 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200Mhz DDR4 CL14 |

Samsung 950 PRO 512GB M.2 SSD | Corsair Force LE 480GB SSD | Windows 10 64-Bit | TM Warthog with FSSB R3 Lighting Base | VKB Gunfighter Pro + MCG | TM MFD's | Oculus Rift S | Jetseat FSE

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I'd say the Viggen is the best in terms of how it flies and feels, but combat wise it isnt anywhere near as fun as the M2000C because its too limited in waht it can do.

You fly to the taget and fly home basically which may be realistic, but gamewise I prefer to hang around and have the option to blow everything up!

Also having no default cannon is something I still havent gotten over! That said Viggen is a must have, and has some crazy fun weapons, but M2000C is the best of the two IMO and both are better than the MIG21 which is still a brilliant module dont forget...

Viggens perfomance in VR is also not as good as the M2000C!

You must realize that you do have to get both haha!

------------

3080Ti, i5- 13600k 32GB  VIVE index, VKB peddals, HOTAS VPC MONGOOSE, WARTHOG throttle, BKicker,