Erich Brunotte FW190D9 Livery

Mainstay

Erich could not only give detailed answers to Yo-Yo's questions from his excellent memory, but was also in possession of a copy of the original D-9 pilot's operating manual, which he made available for the development of the DCS Dora (an otherwise completely unobtainable document).

I'm sure you'll find a lot of this information incorporated into future versions of the DCS FW190-D9 manual, as far as I know ED is working on it.

MAC

awesome MAC........:book:

P-51, 190-D9, 109-K4, Spitfire MK IX, Normandy, and everything else:joystick:

i7 4770K, 4.3ghz, 32gb ram, Windows-10 Pro, Z87 Exstreme4, Corsair 850w psu, Samsung Evo 1T SSD & 250 SSD, Titan-X 12gb OC, Asus ROG Swift 27"/1440p/144hz/1ms monitor, Trackir 5, TM Warthog & 10cm extension, Saitek TPM, MFG crosswind pedals

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why to do a new manual if they have the real one? :music_whistling:

Well, good point, but the way these manuals are structured the pilot operating manual contains not much technical information on systems, which are contained in other parts of the Dora's technical manuals (where available), respectively comes from other original documentation or research. ED is doing a great job with their manuals as a compilation of most of you'll ever want or need to know.

But, perhaps, you'll be able to get both (but can't promise this will be so).

MAC

I personally love to read original handbooks and if I can check that they can be used in DCS 190D9 (to an extent of course) would be better. But I'm still starting to learn German so better in english. In Spanish it would be too much to ask :( :lol:

What I said in my previous post was a joke, but on second thought, if the handbook DCS recreate the original style would be more immersive. Nice to have all that original technical stuff too in a extended version. A DCS manual with old Luftwaffe style handbook.

By the way... There are some PDF scan the original Dora handbook around?

By the way... There are some PDF scan the original Dora handbook around?

None, this makes this his copy so special.

Was Erich’s FW 190D equipped with EZ 42 or Revi 16B. I am curious if he have any combat experience with EZ42???

Interesting question, thanks.

MAC

• ED Team

As far as I remember, he had simple Revi.

Edited by Yo-Yo

Ніщо так сильно не ранить мозок, як уламки скла від розбитих рожевих окулярів

There is nothing so hurtful for the brain as splinters of broken rose-coloured spectacles.

Ничто так сильно не ранит мозг, как осколки стекла от разбитых розовых очков (С) Me

Did Erich fly the Anton?

If he did please could you ask him if there was a significant difference in the maneuverability/agility?

In particular I am intrigued by the roll rate difference.

Thanks Mac.

Windows 10 Pro | ASUS RANGER VIII | i5 6600K @ 4.6GHz| MSI RTX 2060 SUPER | 32GB RAM | Corsair H100i | Corsair Carbide 540 | HP Reverb G2 | MFG crosswind Pedals | Custom Spitfire Cockpit

Project IX Cockpit

Did Erich fly the Anton?

If he did please could you ask him if there was a significant difference in the maneuverability/agility?

In particular I am intrigued by the roll rate difference.

Thanks Mac.

Hi Krupi,

Yes he did, he flew the A-6 and the A-8 as well. I had asked him about the differences before, he said the Dora was the more elegant and maneuverable aircraft alltogether. It was his favourite plane. Roll rate was pretty much the same though, as far as I remember. Visibility in flight was better on the Dora too. Some of his statements should be in the interview.

MAC

Or perhaps some small series of videos where he comments on various topics. Might that be just some technical aspects or maybe even better, some anecdotes that would be illustrated by in-game footage.

If somebody makes a video DVD like this, I would buy a copy.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I am really curious about what Erich thinks about the DCS FW-190 D as a piece of software that accurately models a plane he actually flew during WW2? It's more a philosophical question, considering that we (the flightsim enthusiasts) are all over this, counting rivets, clicking switches, demanding accuracy in every which way, while he actually flew that beast in real life. I am sure he gets a kick from that idea.

It's a rather vague question, I know, but all I would like to know is what a veteran and seasoned pilot thinks about "his plane" existing in the virtual world, with real physics applied, etc, etc.

(also, as mentioned before in this thread, I am still curious if he - or any Dora pilot - trimmed the ailerons before take-off - nose-heavy or tail-heavy).

PC: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X | MSI Suprim GeForce 3090 TI | ASUS Prime X570-P | 128GB DDR4 3600 RAM | 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD | Win10 Pro 64bit

Gear: HP Reverb G2 | JetPad FSE | VKB Gunfighter Pro Mk.III w/ MCG Ultimate

VKBNA_LOGO_SM.png

VKBcontrollers.com

I am really curious about what Erich thinks about the DCS FW-190 D as a piece of software that accurately models a plane he actually flew during WW2? It's more a philosophical question, considering that we (the flightsim enthusiasts) are all over this, counting rivets, clicking switches, demanding accuracy in every which way, while he actually flew that beast in real life. I am sure he gets a kick from that idea.

It's a rather vague question, I know, but all I would like to know is what a veteran and seasoned pilot thinks about "his plane" existing in the virtual world, with real physics applied, etc, etc.

(also, as mentioned before in this thread, I am still curious if he - or any Dora pilot - trimmed the ailerons before take-off - nose-heavy or tail-heavy).

To answer your questions: prior to testing the DCS FW190 simulation, Erich had practically no experience with any flight simulators other than ones that were built in the 30s and perhaps 40s, and which were used during his training, the instrument procedures trainer called 'Link trainer'. So it's been a long while ago for him.

He was a bit sceptical how it would go and only agreed because the testing setup we had was a good one, with Spitfire rudders, a modified FFB2 with a long stick, and three monitors.

I can't say much about this part of the testing because I wasn't there at the time, perhaps you'll see some of it in Yo-Yo's documentary.

However I can say that Erich was impressed with how much love for detail Yo-Yo and the team at ED were working to produce a genuine representation of his favourite airplane, and he was very glad he could contribute to that.

Moreover, when the Dora was finally released I called him and told him how excited people were about the new product, and that people all over the world were now flying Doras, knowing he had been part of the process - this truly amazed him and made him laugh.

He's a true gentleman and happy to share what he knows with us.

MAC

P.S.: About trim - he told me he's only used trim for cruise, but didn't touch it for take off and landings.

Thanks for the reply Mac. I am really looking forward to this documentary now. Amazing setup for him to evaluate the Dora with. wow.

Also, having his livery in-game should be a no-brainer. :)

Thanks about the trim remark.

PC: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X | MSI Suprim GeForce 3090 TI | ASUS Prime X570-P | 128GB DDR4 3600 RAM | 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD | Win10 Pro 64bit

VKBNA_LOGO_SM.png

VKBcontrollers.com

Thanks for the reply Mac. I am really looking forward to this documentary now. Amazing setup for him to evaluate the Dora with. wow.

Also, having his livery in-game should be a no-brainer. :)

Thanks about the trim remark.

Yes - and actually it would be a good idea to have a few 'Weisse' numbers of the same livery of his IV/JG51 made, such as the Weisse 13 we know his flight leader Heinz Marquardt was flying as well. This way some of the talented video creators could perhaps create a flying video of the two flying in formation for Erich.

He often asks to see how the sim turned out - and this would a something we could put on a DVD and send him.

MAC

+1

He often asks to see how the sim turned out - and this would a something we could put on a DVD and send him.MAC

^^^ Would be nice if he could see the Dora fully realized within the DCS WWII: Europe 1944 environment, too.

VKBNA_LOGO_SM.png

VKBcontrollers.com

• 2 weeks later...

I'm sorry if this is not the right place to post it, but I remember there was a discussion about hearing other aircraft from inside the cockpit of the FW190-D9 or other warbirds with the engine running.

I asked Erich Brunotte if he ever heard another aircraft, and he said he didn't, ever. He also told me an anecdote to illustrate this. Once he was with a wingman on 'Freie Jagd' - free hunt - over Russia, and decided to spread out a bit, looking for possible enemy bogeys. After a while he called his wingman back and saw a little dot approaching from the right. Certain that this was his wingman he didn't pay attention to it, until he looked to the side again and had a Yak flying on his wing, just 20 meters away. The Russian pilot saluted, a shaken Erich saluted back, and then the Yak broke off. To this day he's sure the Russian could have easily blown him out of the sky that day, and is still wondering why he didn't.

MAC

The Russian pilot saluted, a shaken Erich saluted back, and then the Yak broke off. To this day he's sure the Russian could have easily blown him out of the sky that day, and is still wondering why he didn't.

MAC

The story reminds me of certain French Normandie-Niemen Yak pilot, who was known to pull out stuff exactly like this. His name was Marcel Albert ;)

On one mission, flying only with his wingman, Marcel came upon a Focke Wulf 190. Coming in on the German’s blind side, Marcel pulled in quickly on the right wing flying along side with the German. The German looked to his right and saw Marcel, wingtip to wingtip. Marcel said that the German’s mouth flew open and his eyes were large as saucers.

Laughing, Marcel waved at the German pilot. After the shock wore off, the German pilot smiled and Marcel pulled his Yak straight up and away. His wingman was very up set telling Marcel “You had that one cornered!” But that did not bother Marcel, who had proved himself as a superb pilot and aerial combatant.

Source: http://www.aviationartstore.com/pilot_Marcel_Albert_pay.htm

The story reminds me of certain French Normandie-Niemen Yak pilot, who was known to pull out stuff exactly like this. His name was Marcel Albert ;)

Source: http://www.aviationartstore.com/pilot_Marcel_Albert_pay.htm

That's very interesting, I must tell Erich. He said he was sure the other pilot had put himself on his wing not by accident, but on purpose, because his hand flew up right when Erich looked over. It was a Yak and had a red star on it.

Have to ask him if he flew a FW190 that day, and if he remembers some more details about the other aircraft. It would be too incredible if Erich would find an answer to his question after so many years. Destiny moves in mysterious ways.

MAC

Just wondering - is there a skin in the works that depicts Erich's 190 (since this was to initial topic of this thread)? If so, what's the progress? If not, why not? :)

VKBNA_LOGO_SM.png

VKBcontrollers.com

I'm sorry if this is not the right place to post it, but I remember there was a discussion about hearing other aircraft from inside the cockpit of the FW190-D9 or other warbirds with the engine running.

I asked Erich Brunotte if he ever heard another aircraft, and he said he didn't, ever...

MAC

Take this one Mac

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=128523

Spoiler

PC Specs: Ryzen 9 5900X, 3080ti, 64GB RAM, Oculus Quest 3