Any chance for an update regarding the progress of the F18?

nickos86

Been away from DCS. What's the status of the F/A-18C in terms of:

a) Features not yet added (but was advertised)

b) Most anticipated/wanted feature

c) Biggest annoying bug

d) General feel of the product status

AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | Gigabyte RTX 3070 Gaming OC 8GB | 32GB Adata Spectrix D50 3600 Mhz (16x2) | Asus B550 TUF Plus Gaming | 2TB Aorus Gen4
HOTAS Warthog | TrackIR 5 |
My Files | Windows 10 Home x64

Nothing mentioned about fixing the Walleye WPDSG target slewing bug.

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

2 things:

1.) Saying this is asking for an update on an update is inaccurate. It's asking for the status of an update, since a different one has been planned instead. If he asked for the update to the July 15th update, then you'd be right. He asked for the weekly feature release status which comes with mini-updates, since the new bug strategy is taking its place and we are not sure when to expect that sort of thing again. If you want to be reductionist about everything, then saying anything on this forum is talking about talking and therefore also pointless.

2.) Waiting is something. None of us paid them $80 in 2002. If they didn't deliver until 2035 on 75% of the Hornet feature list, is it still nothing? Of course not.

There's this weird dichotomy in the DCS community that delivering features on time and low in bugs is anathema to software. This just isn't the case for many development houses out there. On time and good aren't mutually exclusive and if I made my clients pick between the two as routinely as this community seems to think is normal, they'd have my head on a pike. I get it the enterprise world is a lot different than this, but it's not some universal maxim all of us software developers have illuminati meetings over.

100% on deadline with 100% completion is obviously a ridiculous expectation, but so is 300% over deadline and 50% under-delivered.

I'm not saying ED is doing any of this mind you, just pointing out for the sake of conversation how weird this community can be sometimes. People wear their "I'd rather wait!" badges rather proudly. Wouldn't you rather NOT wait AND have it be accurate? Why is that never an option in DCS debate land?

I still think they either promise too early or too much or some measure of both. They definitely have a tough time setting realistic deadlines for their feature groupings. People were saying no way to 2020 since it was announced. Waiting for November to say "Q2 2021" is not smart. Rip the band-aid off and say it now or we're going to have another upheaval with Kate making reddit posts and what not and that just dirties up the forums from their otherwise helpful content.

My .02 and of course I'm not looking for agreement, just trying to put another consumer perspective out there I don't see voiced all that often. Can we allow that not wanting to wait forever doesn't:

1. Make you generally impatient

2. Make you hate ED

3. Make you hate ED's products or even dislike them

Can we agree a little consumer pressure is good? I mean they sign off on every community feedback movement that they appreciate and like the feedback. I realize they might just be saying that, but I think I'll take their word for it.

EDIT: Of course with the caveat that said feedback is CIVIL. Just being a jerk obviously doesn't help anyone. These are people, after all, not sprockets that churn out flight sim widgets.

2ND EDIT: Took out an unintentional swipe at ED.

I totally agree with all of your points and the nuances you are expressing.

• 2 weeks later...

Thx @Wags for the preview to the upcoming OB updates for the Hornet:

(TGP coordinates and northing indicator, MFD brightness and contrast) :thumbup:

[Modules] A-10C, A-10C II, AH-64D, F-14A/B, F-16C, F/A-18C, FC3, Ka-50, P-51D, UH-1H, CA, SC
[Maps] PG, NTTR, Normandy, Sinai, Syria, TC

[OS] Windows 11 Pro
[PC] MSI Pro Z790-A, i9-13900K, 64 GB DDR5-5200, RTX 4090 24 GB GDDR6X, 2 x SSD 990 PRO 2 TB (M.2), Corsair 5000D Airflow, HX1500i, H150i RGB Elite, Acer X28, TM HOTAS Warthog (Grip@WarBRD Base), MS SW FFB2, Thrustmaster TFRP, TrackIR 5 & TrackClip Pro
[Checklists] A-10C, F-16C, F/A-18C, AH-64D, Ka-50, UH-1H

So judging by todays newsletter we arent getting anything apart from a sound update for the Hornet? What about the beforementioned and highly requested FM and FCS changes or proper GPS/INS alignment? I really hope next month will see a ton of this stuff, otherwise I dont see it being anywhere near feature complete by the end of the year.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • ED Team
Bumping. Dear Nineline/WAGS/BIGNEWY - could you please provide a mini update regarding the Hornet? Almost a month since last update and we craving for some info and perhaps some eye-candy.

Thanks in advance!

Hi nickos86

As soon as we have progress to share we will.

Thanks

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2