[INVESTIGATING]DDI, UFC, HUD, Cockpit lighting brightness

KLaFaille

There seems to be an issue with the brightness of the cockpit console/panel lights, HUD, UFC, DDIs, and AMPCD being too dim starting with the last update. The console and instrument panel lighting is not nearly as bright as it was, and the DDIs, especially the right one, are nearly illegible when any sunlight hits them. first three shots and close-up of right DDI are from the newest update. The last shots are from the current stable release. The lighting seems unchanged at night but goes wonky once the sun comes up.

All shots were taken in Persian Gulf, 0745, hot on runway at Qeshm and every display and light is turned up to max day brightness. PC system settings identical between stable and beta.

beta1.thumb.jpg.42ce4efc6e5896b3109a45dfdd9444e6.jpg

beta2.thumb.jpg.d1d634b96f387027c1e945b03b99ba44.jpg

beta3.thumb.jpg.0fc5d6962f17e30bfc05cb6cd9dffb39.jpg

stable1.thumb.jpg.55159dce07ac4fbaa369dceeb93e55aa.jpg

stable2.thumb.jpg.225026624047969441b6409741fd3024.jpg

stable3.thumb.jpg.1ffa2f42ea33102e12c345d6177a78da.jpg

beta4.thumb.jpg.c23667889f6efc8f8abddcf483e27116.jpg

Edited by KLaFaille

same here!

Could it be that the new glass reflection issue is also affecting the HUD, UFC and DDIs?

Glass effect on instruments broken too

It would only partially explain the issue cause the background panel lighting is very dim now, when before was extra bright.

IRL however when you turn on background panel lighting on a/c the effect is very subtle and looks similar to what we have now in the sim during a bright sunny day. (never seen a F18 cockpit in real life, but I fly the 737 and I can vouch for that).

ASUS ROG STRIX Z490 F-GAMING | i7-10700K | RTX3090 TUF OC | 32GB DDR4 3200Mhz | Windows 10 64bit | Acer Predator X34P | TrackIR 5 | TM Warthog | TM T.Flight Rudder Pedals

A-10C | A-10C II | F/A-18C | F-16C | FC3 | PG | Syria | SC

Home made F-16C simulator
Forum Thread: DCS World forum - The Viper Project - Home Cockpits Instagram: 1583142 copia.jpg The Viper Project YouTube youtube-icon-512x512-874lspju.png The Viper Project - Youtube channel

To add to this, the HMD is badly affected too, and practically unusable in daylight (not tried it at night). The lack of visibility seems to correlate more or less directly with head up/down angle - it is at its worse when looking horizontally, while getting progressively better as you look up or down.

I've also noticed a significant decrease in MFD brightness. I can't even use the new SLAM, the MFD was so dim that I could not identify my target on the screen.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D / Asus Crosshair VI Hero X370 / Corsair H110i / Sapphire Nitro+ 6800XT / 32Gb G.Skill TridentZ 3200 / Samsung 980 Pro M.2 / Virpil Warbrd base + VFX and TM grips / Virpil CM3 Throttle / Saitek Pro Combat pedals / Reverb G2

There seems to be an issue with the brightness of the cockpit console/panel lights, HUD, UFC, DDIs, and AMPCD being too dim starting with the last update. The console and instrument panel lighting is not nearly as bright as it was, and the DDIs, especially the right one, are nearly illegible when any sunlight hits them. first three shots and close-up of right DDI are from the newest update. The last shots are from the current stable release. The lighting seems unchanged at night but goes wonky once the sun comes up.

All shots were taken in Persian Gulf, 0745, hot on runway at Qeshm and every display and light is turned up to max day brightness. PC system settings identical between stable and beta.

That's right ... During the day, HUD, UFC, DDIs, and AMPCD, visibility is very poor since the last update. What is the problem? .. In the stable version, you can see much better ... same with the F-16, it also happens.

F-16C - F/A-18C - A-10C - Supercarrier - Nevada Map - Persian Gulf Map

To add to this, the HMD is badly affected too, and practically unusable in daylight (not tried it at night). The lack of visibility seems to correlate more or less directly with head up/down angle - it is at its worse when looking horizontally, while getting progressively better as you look up or down.

+1

i7-10700K @ 5Ghz | Asus Z490 Tuf Pro Gaming | RTX 3090 | 64 Gb RAM @3.6Ghz | 1TB Samsung 970 EVO+ SSD | 1TB addlink S70 M.2 SSD | 1TB Samsung 850 EVO | 4TB HDD | Reverb G2 | Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS | Thrustmaster TPR rudder pedals | Thrustmaster Cougar MFDs

Same observations as above here...

Rig: MB Gigabite z390UD, CPU Intel I7 8700k, RAM 32G DDR4 3200 Gskill ripjaws, GPU MSI RTX2080SuperOC, HDD Crucial mx500 1tb M2 sata, PSU Corsair 850W, watercooling Corsair h100,

Controlers TM f/a 18 stick on Virpil warbrd base, TM cougar f16 stick on cougar base, Cougar F16 throttle on TUSBA, ch pedals, TM cougar MFD

27" monitor with trk IR 5 and HP Reverb HMD.

Modules F18, F16, F86, Mig15, FW 190D9, Nellis range map, Aggr campaign, Middle East map

Interestingly enough, I did not experience this particular problem in the Hornet, however, in the Tomcat the AoA-Indexer and the push buttons on the ACM panel are completely unreadable. One can also tell that a particular light on the Tomcat's annunciator panel is illuminated, but only when zooming in a bit.

Same problem with F/A 18 HMD and DDI's

Flew for a bit today and found that the DDI's were faint and really impossible to read in sun glare. HMD was especially faint despite being on the highest brightness setting.

That was the first thing I noticed upon entering the cockpit... DDI brightness way low... then I went into a DF server and turned on the HMD... thats even worse... can't see $h*t against the sky.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

"Zuki" Resident mud mover

CH HOTAS untill it breaks(for life)!

Not affiliated with any "squad":thumbup:

IFEI brightness knob also does not seem to be doing anything now. DDI is hardly visible, in DAY setting and NIGHT setting are almost same as OFF.

Intel i7-13700KF :: ROG STRIX Z790-A GAMING WIFI D4 :: Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB ::  MSI RTX 4080  Gaming X Trio  :: VKB Gunfighter MK.III MCG Ultimate :: VPC MongoosT-50 CM3 :: non-VR :: single player :: open beta

you don`t need to investgate. check out the video from redkite

it talked about guns,but you can surely see the buggy hud brightness being "buggy" after update

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I9-9900K-Gigabyte 2080Ti Gaming OC, 32G DDR4000 RAM,

Track IR5, HOTAS Cougar + über Nxt Hall Sensor Mod, Slaw Device RX Viper

Same for me as well for the HUD as for the HMD or MFds. And same with the viper. Last Nvidia drivers and no mod....

Win10-64 / MAG Z-790 Tomahawk Wifi / Intel i7-13700 KF / MSI MAG Coreliquid 360R V2 / MSI RTX-4080 SuprimX / Kingston SK Hynix 64Go DDR5-6400-C32 / 1*Nvme Crucial CT2000P3 2.0Tb / 5*SSD Samsung 860QVO 1Tb / 3*Samsung S27E330 Monitors / HP-Reverb G2 / Track-Ir 5 / Thrustmaster: Warthog Throttle + Warthog Stick + F/A-18 Stick + T.Flight Rudders / Home Cinema LG HT503TH / Home-Cockpit F/A-18C (currently only right console, others being build) / Samsung Galaxy Tab S7+ as a Flypad and Sim control

Strange, for me HUD, DDI, UFC and AMPCD are readable. Obviously, while the sun reflects on the displays, reading is more difficult. Note the two screens within seconds of each other in weather conditions with clouds.

Even in overcast weather conditions the displays are legible, at least for me.

Screen_200610_215517.thumb.png.b19b305c3872dc6fb47ede6d15cbba34.png

Screen_200610_215526.thumb.png.de76b50a547b50cff8a78504a0a0af1c.png

I’ve noticed on 3 occasions that my DDI/HUD/MFD get dark and hard to read. When I look closer, all of my switches are set to “night mode”. On all three displays. When I turn back to day mode, they are fine. But it’s all of them. Switch above each MFD as well as the color display. Not sure if this is what’s happening for you guys