Simple Instructions / Tutorial On How to Setup Server and Fly On Same Machine?

As per the title, can someone provide pointers on how to do this? I just want to be able to record tracks reliably, and it seems like this is the only way to do it.

I have only once machine available for this, and want to fly in VR. I have the vague feeling I must launch DCS twice ? But that's about all I know.

Can anyone help?

hey man,

you can make a copy of your desktop icon and make some changes to it.

"C:\Program Files\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World OpenBeta Server\bin\DCS.exe" --server --norender --webgui -w <name>

the first part is just poining to your dcs.exe so it depends where you have installed it on your pc

--server tells it to run in server mode

--norender tells it not to do 3d rendering

--webgui tells it to activate the webgui for configuration

-w is what is imortant to run multiple instances. you can choose a nme there and DCS will create a folder in your saved games folder with that name. All the files for this instance will be put in that folder.

if you click that icon you will only see a splash screen of DCS but the server will be running. if you go into your install directory there is a folder called WebGui. in that folder you will find a file called index.html if you open that link your browser will open and you can manage your service instance from there (you can just confirm the default port in the pop-up you will get)

you will have to load a mission in the webgui but after that you should be able to connect on the port that you configure in the WebGui (it's a different port than you get in the pop-up in the beginning)

after you have started it like this the first time in the saved games/<name> folder you will have a config folder with a file serversettings.lua. in that file you can also edit the settings and mission that will load when you start the server.

to connect to it you can click on connect by ip in your dcs game and enter 127.0.0.1:<port>

by default the port should be 10308 but you can change that in the WebGui if you want.

if you want the sevrer to be accessible for people outside your network you will have to port forward the port you configure from your router to the pc running the DCS server

there is no clean shutdown for this yet so you just have to close it on the taskbar.

i hope this helps you to get started

Fantastic! Thank you so much for the taking the time to share your knowledge! Will give this a try.

hey man,

you can make a copy of your desktop icon and make some changes to it.

"C:\Program Files\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World OpenBeta Server\bin\DCS.exe" --server --norender --webgui -w <name>

the first part is just poining to your dcs.exe so it depends where you have installed it on your pc

--server tells it to run in server mode

--norender tells it not to do 3d rendering

--webgui tells it to activate the webgui for configuration

-w is what is imortant to run multiple instances. you can choose a nme there and DCS will create a folder in your saved games folder with that name. All the files for this instance will be put in that folder.

if you click that icon you will only see a splash screen of DCS but the server will be running. if you go into your install directory there is a folder called WebGui. in that folder you will find a file called index.html if you open that link your browser will open and you can manage your service instance from there (you can just confirm the default port in the pop-up you will get)

you will have to load a mission in the webgui but after that you should be able to connect on the port that you configure in the WebGui (it's a different port than you get in the pop-up in the beginning)

after you have started it like this the first time in the saved games/<name> folder you will have a config folder with a file serversettings.lua. in that file you can also edit the settings and mission that will load when you start the server.

to connect to it you can click on connect by ip in your dcs game and enter 127.0.0.1:<port>

by default the port should be 10308 but you can change that in the WebGui if you want.

if you want the sevrer to be accessible for people outside your network you will have to port forward the port you configure from your router to the pc running the DCS server

there is no clean shutdown for this yet so you just have to close it on the taskbar.

i hope this helps you to get started

Ok, update on the above.

(1) It works (thanks!) IF and ONLY IF you use Chrome or Firefox to open the "WebGui/index.html". By default Windows will use Edge to try and open it. You have to make it a point to get Windows to use Chrome/Firefox.

(2) Probably the more modern approach might be to use this:

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/downloads/world/server_beta/

This installs a dedicated server package that does most of the above --- after installation, just launch the server using the desktop icon and then go to the WebGui using the other desktop icon. The only complication is that you have to set windows to open all ".html" files in Chrome/Firefox by default to avoid the Web Gui opening in Edge.

• 2 weeks later...

no problem,

Good tip, i didn't notice the issue with Edge, i have chome as default.

and you are right, that approach is a bit more straight forward.

we do it the other way because we like a bit more control over de server instances as we run multiple on the same machine. so we like to decide when the updater runs and not for example when 1 instance is restarted. but those things are not a factor for you.

however you could still use that procedure if you don't want to have 2 installs on your system.

anyway glad you have it working

no problem,

Good tip, i didn't notice the issue with Edge, i have chome as default.

and you are right, that approach is a bit more straight forward.

we do it the other way because we like a bit more control over de server instances as we run multiple on the same machine. so we like to decide when the updater runs and not for example when 1 instance is restarted. but those things are not a factor for you.

however you could still use that procedure if you don't want to have 2 installs on your system.

anyway glad you have it working

Do you have an issue with the server replay tracks (still) being wonky? With the F-14 at least?