A-10C Warthog campaign - Operation Persian Freedom

A10_Screenshot.JPG

I am pleased to be in a position to release part one of the Operation Persian Freedom campaign. Consisting of 4 missions, part one will see the player participate in the opening air war of a military campaign against Iran. Three further parts are planned and the story is written, eventually expanding to a four part, 20 mission campaign.

Fully voice acted, part one has represented a considerable effort and the first four missions alone account for over 2 months of work, with almost 700 voice overs recorded, 1200 triggers and over 50 pages of briefing documents and SPINS.

After several years of mission building in private and steadily gaining new skills, OPF represents the first content I have ever released to the community, I will therefore be greatly appreciative of any constructive feedback and I hope you enjoy!

Mission 1 and 2 now live, I will be posting missions 3 and 4 over the next week.

Campaign Features:

Take on the role of RAF exchange pilot Flight Lieutenant David ‘Steep’ Hill as he is assigned to the USAF 74th Fighter Squadron ahead of the imminent commencement of ‘Operation Persian Freedom’. This story driven single player campaign for the A-10C Warthog is set in the Persian Gulf in 2011 and explores a scenario where civil unrest in Iran, triggered by the Arab Spring has resulted in the violent repression of it’s citizens by the Iranian government and the use of chemical weapons on it’s own population. This chain of events has led to the formation of US led coalition with a mandate to invade Iran and remove the Iranian government from power.

Drawing inspiration from real life operations such as Desert Storm, Iraqi Freedom and Enduring Freedom, Operation Persian Freedom will challenge you through a variety of missions...from roaming ‘kill boxes’ in hunt of enemy armour to providing danger close CAS to troops in contact, flying airborne alert CAS patrols and supporting special forces in the hunt for WMD’s.

During the four part, 20 mission campaign the story of the invasion of Iran will unfold in compelling detail through a recurring cast of characters. The campaign will feature extensive in-flight dialogue, the ability to make choices and the chance to participate in optional in-flight conversations as well as providing detailed briefing documents, kneeboards and accompanying cinematics.

The campaign will also feature a custom ATC system and customised wingman commands.

Mission 1 available here:

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3311099/

LINK TO BRIEFING DOCUMENTS:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1b-qy_MuAYX0L7bwJeI9guWUjZfT1gHQ2?usp=sharing

Edited by ChillNG

Wow! I just looked through the briefing documents and video. Outstanding job on those, I can't wait to give it a try!

:) Thank you! I've took loads of inspiration from your missions so really appreciate the comment.

ChillNG, I just flew mission 1 and I'm blown away with the immersion. You've really put me into the cockpit of the A-10, it the mission feels very well done and realistic.

Can't wait to see more!

Thanks Sedlo,

Mission 2 and 3 are just about ready to go up and will be uploaded over the next couple of days.

Literally loading mission 4 for it's first ever play test as I type so should hopefully be done for end of the week.

Just completed mission 1.... WOW!

The level of details and how you interact with comms and tasks reminded me of TEW campaign from BD!

High quality stuff here! Well done!!

Looking forward to play Mission 2 and the rest of the campaign as you release it!

PS: If I would change one thing I would have the coordinates given in MGRS form rather than LAT/LONG when your lead is instructing you to navigate to WYP 4 ;)

It's quicker and it adds realism. I think in the real military that's how they use it :)

ASUS ROG STRIX Z490 F-GAMING | i7-10700K | RTX3090 TUF OC | 32GB DDR4 3200Mhz | Windows 10 64bit | Acer Predator X34P | TrackIR 5 | TM Warthog | TM T.Flight Rudder Pedals

A-10C | A-10C II | F/A-18C | F-16C | FC3 | PG | Syria | SC

Home made F-16C simulator
Forum Thread: DCS World forum - The Viper Project - Home Cockpits Instagram: 1583142 copia.jpg The Viper Project YouTube youtube-icon-512x512-874lspju.png The Viper Project - Youtube channel

Just completed mission 1.... WOW!

The level of details and how you interact with comms and tasks reminded me of TEW campaign from BD!

High quality stuff here! Well done!!

Looking forward to play Mission 2 and the rest of the campaign as you release it!

PS: If I would change one thing I would have the coordinates given in MGRS form rather than LAT/LONG when your lead is instructing you to navigate to WYP 4 ;)

It's quicker and it adds realism. I think in the real military that's how they use it :)

Thanks Snakedoc, that comparison is a huge compliment, I've certainly taken lots of inspiration from Baltic Dragon! I'm trying to make the missions as story driven and interactive as possible so hopefully you'll enjoy all the other ideas I've got cooking up.

Thanks for the feedback on the coordinates, it's something I've thought over, but just settled on lat/long as it's how I originally learnt it...certainly something I'll look at for future missions.

Mission 2 is up and ready now, 3 is awaiting moderator approval so should be available soon.

Hey ChillNG, this campaign looks very interesting, however I don't like flying solo, so I wonder if you would see any issues (with scripts, triggers, etc.) if I make my Wingmen a human player?

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

Hi QuiGon, I've never actually tried MP so never even considered it!

Generally speaking I don't think there will be an issue, although not all missions have a wingman in so it isn't necessarily a simple swap. There might be a few tweaks to make under the hood to sort out the F10 menu but I think it will be a simple addition, with a couple of caveats. The wingman will just be a passenger and the main player will be responsible for all the interaction with the radio menu/press space commands, and the wingman will have to pay attention to the radio frequencies of the lead player or else I'm guessing will miss half the conversation.

The Wingman role in the campaign is a 'red shirt', completely expendable and anonymous so in terms of the campaign story it won't have any impact, so maybe I can make it work without altering the overall quality of the campaign.

I reckon it will only be a few minutes work so I'll do a quick conversion on mission 1 and 2 and post them tonight, I'll link them back in this thread and if you want to try them out and see if they work then maybe I'll look to add a MP version to each mission as I go if they do.

Cheers, ChillNG

I played 2,5 of the missions today (got overexcited and didn't survive M3) and : Topnotch!

Looking forward to the rest of the storyline!

Thanks for the feedback! Glad you enjoyed!

Keep an eye our for mission 4 in the next couple of days...

Hi QuiGon, I've never actually tried MP so never even considered it!

Generally speaking I don't think there will be an issue, although not all missions have a wingman in so it isn't necessarily a simple swap. There might be a few tweaks to make under the hood to sort out the F10 menu but I think it will be a simple addition, with a couple of caveats. The wingman will just be a passenger and the main player will be responsible for all the interaction with the radio menu/press space commands, and the wingman will have to pay attention to the radio frequencies of the lead player or else I'm guessing will miss half the conversation.

The Wingman role in the campaign is a 'red shirt', completely expendable and anonymous so in terms of the campaign story it won't have any impact, so maybe I can make it work without altering the overall quality of the campaign.

I reckon it will only be a few minutes work so I'll do a quick conversion on mission 1 and 2 and post them tonight, I'll link them back in this thread and if you want to try them out and see if they work then maybe I'll look to add a MP version to each mission as I go if they do.

Cheers, ChillNG

Awesome, that red shirt wingman is absolutly fine. I just want to experience the campaign with my buddy and do the missions together. Tuning in the required freqs is easy :)

MP versions of Mission 1 and 2 are now uploaded. I have not tested them so please feel free to give them a go and let me know if they worked or not.

Mission 1:

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3311168/

Mission 2:

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3311169/

Thanks a lot for providing this Coop version! I really really appreciate it :thumbup:

I just flew Mission 1 with my buddy and it was a blast. It's very immersive with all the voice overs! :thumbup:

Just two issues with the coop version:

1) Both playable aircraft need to be set to Client. In your file, the A-10C of Lt. Steep was still set to Player, which causes some issues (human wingman can't spawn). I switched it to Client and it solved the issue.

2) My buddy who flew as the wingman, wasn't able to hear the scripted ATC comms, even though he was tuned to the correct frequencies. It was just the the ATC comms that he could not hear. He could hear all the comms with Gunman 1-1 just fine.

We're both looking forward to play Mission 2 next time :joystick:

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

Tornado3 small.jpg

Glad you enjoyed QuiGon!

Thanks for the heads up on the client/player issue, I'll sort that easy enough.

Interesting about the ATC comms, this could cause issues in other missions given how I've implemented some of the radio transmissions. In a nutshell the ATC is actually the player unit communicating with itself, there is no actual ATC unit transmitting the message. In a MP session then the radio frequency is actually misleading, in SP it's just a trigger condition without anything actually broadcast on that Freq, but in MP the wingman will be listening out for a message that is not actually coming from ATC but instead from the main player. I would have thought that as long as all the radio's are set the same in both aircraft then the wingman should be able to hear everything.

Don't know if that knowledge helps but let me know if it makes any difference.

Interesting about the ATC comms, this could cause issues in other missions given how I've implemented some of the radio transmissions. In a nutshell the ATC is actually the player unit communicating with itself, there is no actual ATC unit transmitting the message. In a MP session then the radio frequency is actually misleading, in SP it's just a trigger condition without anything actually broadcast on that Freq, but in MP the wingman will be listening out for a message that is not actually coming from ATC but instead from the main player. I would have thought that as long as all the radio's are set the same in both aircraft then the wingman should be able to hear everything.

Don't know if that knowledge helps but let me know if it makes any difference.

Thanks, that knowledge does help indeed, as it explains the issue. :thumbup:

Unfortunately I think there is no easy fix for it. You would have to change the ATC transmissions to be of the same type as the transmissions of Gunman 1-1, in order to make them recievable for every client. That's quite a bit of work though, so I can understand if you don't want to change that around.

I'm curious though if "Transmit Message" is supposed to behave like that or if that is a bug and hence made a thread on the issue: https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=4417424

Tornado3 small.jpg

Thanks, that knowledge does help indeed, as it explains the issue. :thumbup:

Unfortunately I think there is no easy fix for it. You would have to change the ATC transmissions to be of the same type as the transmissions of Gunman 1-1, in order to make them recievable for every client. That's quite a bit of work though, so I can understand if you don't want to change that around.

p=4417424[/url]

Yeah it's probably beyond what time I have available to invest in it at this point unfortunately! I've used this method of transmission quite a bit for units the player talks to that don't require a physical presence in the mission so likely will be a significant issue from mission 2 onwards.

I'm curious though if "Transmit Message" is supposed to behave like that or if that is a bug and hence made a thread on the issue: https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=4417424

I'll keep an eye on what comes out of this.

dont know if I understtod correctly but in mission 3 Gunman 1-1 is asked to contact Captain Taylor on VHF FM, but in fact the radio must be set in VHF AM 31.8.

thanks for the campaign, very well done!

The VHF AM radio is the top one on the radio stack (closest to the front of the cockpit), the FM radio is the last in the stack (nearest the back of the cockpit) and is the one needed to contact Taylor. Sounds like you used the right one or you wouldn't have been able to progress :thumbup:

Glad you enjoyed, mission 4 just waiting to be approved so should be available tonight/tomorrow hopefully.

Cheers

Thanks for sharing the pic,

Gotta admit I had to dive into the manual to get my head round it. So when I've tested the mission I always use either preset or manual setting on the knob you're referring to. During many test flights when contacting Taylor I've never had an issue setting the frequency on this radio when the dial is set to manual. I can see from the picture you're using preset on the other radios, I flick between manual and preset position when flying this mission and have never used the AM/FM positions.

50107762507_043b19a303.jpg' alt='5010776

The AM/FM selection you're referring to is something I've never used so checked the manual...setting to the AM position is actually the emergency guard AM channel and is not functional on this the FM radio. I'm assuming based on what you've said that if set to Emergency AM the radio is instead defaulting back to manual mode...not sure if this is how it is in real life or whether it's a bug but it sounds like this is whats happening.

Anyways thanks for the feedback, you've taught me something new about the radio...I suspect I'll never finish learning the A-10!

Edited by ChillNG