Another Black Shark Pit project

BaD CrC

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 298
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi, the cockpit looks great!

I am curious though having never done anything like this before but really wanting to. How do the 3 position switches work? Or even the positioned dials (non potentiometer ones)?

In the game I can never do something like middle, down, middle, down, it always goes through all the positions in a sequence. Does the USB hardware you use allow you to get around this sequence?

Thanks!

• 2 months later...

Hello everyone.

It's been a really long time since the last update. Sorry about that. I have been traveling a lot for my work since January this year and I had to spend the few time home with my family rather than my pit.

Anyway, more time now so I could add a few things.

First, I change the seat. I bought a used car seat (20 euros) and covered it with some black leather lookalike fabric. I found for another 15 euros some used 5 points seat belt that I bolted on the stand I built. Don't know if I will keep them though.

Seat1.JPG

I also built a kind of "avionics bay" instead of the crappy stand I used to have for the screens. This allows me to make a nicer cable management or hide inside all the USB cables, power cables, USB hubs, power supplies, secondary computer, speakers and so on.

meuble1.JPG

meuble2.JPG

Also found a way to have this overhead panel a little more secured and easier to reach when seated.

meuble3.JPG

This is how it looks like know (not very different from this point of view, but the room definitively looks a lot cleaner).

pitmay2010.JPG

I am pretty happy with the result. Now time to start the led part. :book:

• Like 1

Sorry I had to stop looking at your pictures, the drool almost shorted out my keyboard! :lol::thumbup:

I only respond to that little mechanical voice that says "Terrain! Terrain! Pull Up! Pull Up!"

Who can say what is impossible, for the dream of yesterday is the hope of today and the reality of tomorrow.

-Robert Goddard

"A hybrid. A car for enthusiasts of armpit hair and brown rice." -Jeremy Clarkson

"I swear by my pretty floral bonet, I will end you." -Mal from Firefly

I have been following Oakes thread for quite some time, and I was quite amazed to see how far he went for the collective, but also how difficult it was to end up with something satisfactory. Although I am not as extreme as him about realism, my current collective was bugging me since I couldn't find a way to make it stop moving when released.

This make flying BS extremely difficult to fly unless you have 3 hands. :joystick:

So after a long time I finally decided to have a look at what is commercially available, and I got myself this from Simaviatik, a swiss company:

SSAM0662.JPG

This is actually a jet ranger collective. I know it doesn't look at all like the Ka-50 one, but hey, my cyclic is a F16 stick..... So I guess I can use a Jet ranger collective...

Problem is that it doesn't have enough switches. One ON/OFF (I can use it for the RPM governor), one two way momentary switch (will use it for Shkval tracking gate size) and two push button (one for target acquisition and one to assign altitude).

I still need one cooly hat to select weapons, one two way momentary switch to adjust Shkval field of view and one three positions switch for autopilot mode. I can live without the second cooly hat for the light anyway.

So I decided to forget about the warranty and modify this stick. The switches on the simaviatik collective are easy to reach. The good news are that the three screws in the front are purely decorative, they don't hold any front plate. So I can drill some holes in it. The USB interface is actually a BU0836 interface, just like the ones I am using (I use BU0836X). This means that this stick can actually manage 32 buttons.

Bad news is that the main body of this collective is riveted. This is not a good move from Simaviatik for something that is aimed at pit builders. :cry:. As a result, I had to use another BU0836X USB board to interface the few new switched I wanted to add.

First, I needed at least one cooly hat for selecting the weapons. I used one I found inside an old Thrustmaster joystick:

SSAM0737.JPG

After drilling a bit and pulling some ribbon cable, here is the final result:

SSAM0740.JPG

SSAM0738.JPG

I need to install the new collective now in my pit and get rid of the old one. Then re install the left rear panel. New pictures coming soon.

Look at Loubial project here and on french c6 forum (link in his signature) for really perfect collective and cyclic mecanism using rotative hydraulic dampers...

and have regrets,

and build a new one..

and sell this one to somebody else...

LOL

ok I go out quickly.... just joking...

Hello Hellfrog,

Went on the check-six forum and checked Loubial's thread. His work is truly fantastic but I have to say I have no regret with my collective since Loubial is a retired guy with plenty of time, plenty of talent, 40 years in the mechanical industry and a CNC machine. Everything I don't have!

Hi Crc. Beautiful setup, mate. I am truly envious.

I have since set up a small machine shop in my garage to start tinkering with possible flight control models. I came across this guy on youtube, and your issue with a friction stop reminded me of it - check out 0:56.

Looks like a cabinet hinge guide of some kind:

Once again, truly inspirational :)

• Like 1

Rectum non bustus

it s true, verry inspirational,..i build a verry simple friction for my Bo105 collectiv replic,..it s only 50 cent price and you can get it, in any good bicycle shop. an adjustable screw, pushs an bicycle break rubber,..straight onto the moving axis,..and fits it in every position i leave the collectiv, hands free!)

easy to use,..easy to adjust..,..as one more inspiration for you!)

• Like 1

TM HOTAS WH :joystick:, Saitek Pro Pedals, Track IR 4, 2xJoyWarrier, 1x KeyWarrior, i52500k @4600MHz, ASUS P8Z68-V Pro, NV 670GT, SSD+ WD BC+ WD Raptor, 32HD:pilotfly:[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

yes ok, i think its time to make some more pics on my work..

i will upload them this evening into my album and will try to post details in a new thread.. actually you can find one or two pics from original collective part of a german anti tank Bo-105 in my kitchen!)

EDIT: didn t managed to make detailed pics today cause of other things to do

and to tell next plans:

i am going to get the eurocopter tiger inputs for replicating procedures!)

i m really excited to get em soon by a friend.

Edited by Scudslaker

TM HOTAS WH :joystick:, Saitek Pro Pedals, Track IR 4, 2xJoyWarrier, 1x KeyWarrior, i52500k @4600MHz, ASUS P8Z68-V Pro, NV 670GT, SSD+ WD BC+ WD Raptor, 32HD:pilotfly:[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 2 weeks later...

I love your setup. Since you're going for realism why not use a collective brake like the real shark? That brake has a dual function which many people ignore but I use all the time. It also has a microswitch that sets the altitude for you altitude hold AP channel.

I had an idea to make one myself with some sort of bike brake handle connected to a rod with a spring on it and the rod would simply slip between notches on a fixed gear at the back of the collective locking it in place each time you release the handle.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

System Specs

Intel I7-3930K, Asrock EXTREME9, EVGA TITAN, Mushkin Chronos SSD, 16GB G.SKILL Ripjaws Z series 2133, TM Warthog and MFD's, Saitek Proflight Combat pedals, TrackIR 5 + TrackClip PRO, Windows 7 x64, 3-Asus VS2248H-P monitors, Thermaltake Level 10 GT, Obutto cockpit

Hello Hellfrog,

Went on the check-six forum and checked Loubial's thread. His work is truly fantastic but I have to say I have no regret with my collective since Loubial is a retired guy with plenty of time, plenty of talent, 40 years in the mechanical industry and a CNC machine. Everything I don't have!

I'm very happy to be the man you describe. Thank you for this dream... but the reality...

More Informations about my flight control Projet here http://www.checksix-forums.com/showthread.php?t=159606

Look at Loubial project here and on french c6 forum (link in his signature) for really perfect collective and cyclic mecanism using rotative hydraulic dampers...

and have regrets,

and build a new one..

and sell this one to somebody else...

LOL

ok I go out quickly.... just joking...

If you continue like that, my wine cellar will be too small when we meet!

More Informations about my flight control Projet here http://www.checksix-forums.com/showthread.php?t=159606

• 3 weeks later...

it will work with matrox triplehead or with latests ATI GPU, but you will have the need of expensives multiples graphics cards due to total resolution and a serious FPS hit unless you have latests CPU and agressive OVC with watercooling on excelllent quality motherboard and so on...

So will an Intel Core i7-860 on an ASUS Maximus Formula III board with Coolermaster Hyper 212 Plus, Corsair XMS3 DDR3 4GB Ram, Asus EAH Radeon 5970, work or will I need better GPU's and more of them. Sorry for all of the questions but this is new and I want to make sure I get this correct.

• 4 weeks later...

CRC guages

I'm new to the simpit stuff. I have a second monitor for shkval and ABRISS. How did you get the guages on the left panel? Are they from the DCS game? Are they operational? Could you explain? I'm working on my pit(not as detailed as yours)and this info would be awsome. Extroadanary work by the way.

ACPI x86 based PC, Windows 7 64Bit, AMD Phenom IIX4 965 3.4GHZ, NVIDIA GTX 560, 8 GB RAM, 1 32" primary monitor, Track IR, Saitek pedals, custom cyclic with CH Pro base, custom collective, both using BUO836X cards