AV-8B COPY PROTECTION CHANGE

Wags

AV-8B COPY PROTECTION CHANGE  

441 members have voted

1. 1. AV-8B COPY PROTECTION CHANGE

• 1 Calendar Day
    • 3 Calendar Days ( Current System Under Evaluation )
    • 7 Calendar Days
    • 14 Calendar Days
    • 21 Calendar Days
    • 30 Calendar Days ( Once a Month )
    • 60 Calendar Days
    • 90 Calendar Days

Companies have changed their minds in the past when it was for the benefit of their profits / share holders

eg a particular decision might reduce their profits, but reversing this decision might increase them

Edited by Johnny_Rico

METAR weather for DCS World missions

Guide to help out new DCS MOOSE Users -> HERE

Havoc Company Dedicated server info Connect IP: 94.23.215.203

SRS enabled - freqs - Main = 243, A2A = 244, A2G = 245

Please contact me HERE if you have any server feedback or METAR issues/requests

• Replies 731
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Conditions and Proposal

Hello Everyone,

Just a few things to think about that does not apply to everyone nor includes everyone that has purchased TFC/Eagle Dynamics DCSW Products.

Remember, Internet connectivity is a privilege, not a right

Paying DCS Customers:

A Person or Persons that have legally purchased, activated TFC/Eagle Dynamics DCSW Products which is installed on a Mobile PC/Laptop before arriving to said examples below.

A Person or Persons that use said Mobile PC/Laptop for Offline Single Player without connectivity after their work shifts.

A Person or Persons that uses said Mobile PC/Laptop for Offline Single Player without connectivity at their Vacation Homes.

Workers:

A) Paying DCS Customers that are working in remote locations with limited to no connectivity, providing Hurricane / Natural Disaster relief to rebuild the nonfunctional infrastructures that provide these commodities. (Power,Water,Telephone,Cellular,Etc.)

B) Paying DCS Customers that work in land development in regions with limited to no connectivity, to create the first infrastructures that provide these commodities that are not present. (Power,Water,Telephone,Cellular,Etc.)

C) Paying DCS Customers that work in Offshore / Remote Mining / Drilling of Natural Resources in regions with limited to no connectivity.

D) Paying DCS Customers that are Active duty, Reserve duty, military personnel / contractors deployed to theaters of operations with limited to no connectivity.

Customers:

A) Paying DCS Customers that have vacation homes in regions with limited to no connectivity, that nonfunctional infrastructures are being repaired by Workers due to Hurricanes / Natural Disasters. { See A) under Workers}

B) Paying DCS Customers that have vacation homes in regions with limited to no connectivity. ( Ski Chalets, Hunting / Fishing Camps, Hiking and Mountain Bike Terrain)

C) Paying DCS Customers that have vacation homes in Tropical / Caribbean / Island regions with limited to no connectivity.(Beach Homes, Resorts,etc.)

Summary

1) Currently, with the TFC/Eagle Dynamics DCSW Digital Rights Management. Paying DCS Customers: must have connectivity every 3 calendar days for Offline Single Player Modes. If connectivity is unavailable after 3 calendar days, the legally purchased AV-8B N/A VTOL module will not function in Offline Single Player Modes.

2) With the proposed retroactively applied TFC/Eagle Dynamics DCSW Digital Rights Management. Paying DCS Customers: must have connectivity every 3 calendar days for Offline Single Player Modes. If connectivity is unavailable after 3 calendar days, all legally purchased TFC/Eagle Dynamics DCSW modules will not function in Offline Single Player Modes.

3) Person / Persons effected by the current and proposed TFC/Eagle Dynamics DCSW Digital Right Management

a) Paying DCS Customers:(See above)

b) Workers:(See above)

c) Customers:(See above)

Proposal:

1) Paying DCS Customers: Once activated, use of legally purchased TFC/Eagle Dynamics DCSW modules will function in Offline Single Player Modes unlimited.

2) Paying DCS Customers: Will be required to re-verify legally purchased TFC/Eagle Dynamics DCSW modules to function in Offline Single Player Modes unlimited during the following.

a) Any and all connections when logged into username account.

b) Software updates

c) Software version changes including reverting back to prior versions.

d) Purchases of additional modules

e) Installation of previous purchased modules.

f) To process Clean or Repair functions.

LAN and Multiplayer:

LAN and Multiplayer are not part of the proposal because to function beyond activation connectivity is required. At such point the re-verify procedure would preform automatically being connected to username account.

Happy Simming,

Monnie

Edited by MonnieRock

Rack Rig: Rosewill RSV-L4000 | Koolance ERM-3K3UC | Xeon E5-1680 v2 @ 4.9ghz w/EK Monoblock | Asus Rampage IV Black Edition | 64GB 2133mhz | SLI TitanXP w/ EK Waterblocks | 2x Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB | Seasonic 1000w Titanium | Windows 10 Pro 64bit | TM Warthog HOTAS w/40cm Extension | MFG Crosswind Rudders | Obutto R3volution | HP Reverb

not what i paid for.

I bought all of my planes assets maps etc with the intent of using them offline/online. I live on a yacht in Queensland Australia. even on land phone coverage is bad, but I live on a yacht. and my internet is mobile wifi. I can, and do spend weeks without a phone signal and internet. I like to play offline when i'm at sea or anchored up in some remote place. I don't really know what this new procedure is but it sounds like you might be removing my aircraft which I have paid many hundreds of dollars for. please tell me I am mistaken and my stuff isn't going to be taken from me.:mad:

I know I'm a little late to this conversation, and this may have been mentioned earleir, but the problem I have is that if I don't log into the DCS servers, not only am I not able to play multiplayer but the AV-8B module is disabled entirely. It isn't even listed as a module along with all the other buttons at the bottom of the main screen. It's as though the AV-8B doesn't exist within DCS. Is that how it's intended to operate? If so, anyone who can't connect to the internet is out of luck in terms of playing with the AV-8B and any future module under this system.

• Like 1

Proposal:

1) Paying DCS Customers: Once activated, use of legally purchased TFC/Eagle Dynamics DCSW modules will function in Offline Single Player Modes unlimited.

2) Paying DCS Customers: Will be required to re-verify legally purchased TFC/Eagle Dynamics DCSW modules to function in Offline Single Player Modes unlimited during the following.

b) Software updates

Happy Simming,

Monnie

As someone who only flies offline single player, this strategy would be perfect and would insure I continue to purchase modules :smilewink:

Alienware Area-51M: i7-9700K, 165Hz 27" ASUS Swift PG279 IPS with G-SYNC, 32GB DDR4 Ram, 1TB M.2 PCie x4 SSD, 1TB SSHD, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 8GB GDDR6, Windows 10, CH Eclipse...

Check out my fictional F/A 18-C Hornet and Su33 Flanker skins at: https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/?CREATED_BY=WytchCrypt&set_filter=Y

Proposal:

b) Software updates

LAN and Multiplayer:

LAN and Multiplayer are not part of the proposal because to function beyond activation connectivity is required. At such point the re-verify procedure would preform automatically being connected to username account.

Happy Simming,

Monnie

Good idea, I support this as well.

Awaiting: DCS F-15C

Win 10 i5-9600KF 4.6 GHz 64 GB RAM RTX2080Ti 11GB -- Win 7 64 i5-6600K 3.6 GHz 32 GB RAM GTX970 4GB -- A-10C, F-5E, Su-27, F-15C, F-14B, F-16C missions in User Files

Agreed.

I think Monnie has an excellent compromise that will protect Eagle's investment without burdening those without regular web access.

I would only add in something to monitor frequency of connections from different PCs and require a verification email with a captcha or similar, perhaps, if several machines are detected logging in over a short period.

This should make it difficult to steal from the hard working people who design this wonderful content for us while still allowing us the freedom to play where we like. :thumbup:

MonnieRock's proposal does not adequately deal with the account theft and creditcard/paypal fraud issue that seems to be on EDs mind when they designed the new system.

When someone manages to steal a legit account and then installs that account's modules and activates these per one time requirement, its quite unlikely that comes to the attention of the paying customer before that onetime activation has been passed. Now theres no way of disabling the illegitimate module installation.

Same goes for buying modules with stolen credicard details or outright paypal ''booking back'' fraud. As i have outlined earlier, you get yourself a prepaid creditcard and then use paypal for the actual DCS module purchase, install, activate, rebook the money via paypal.

If you want to combat both fraudschemes effectively, you need three things in place:

1.) two-factor verification via email on activating modules

2.) overview of DCS world installations/activations on different hardware configs i.e. laptops, pc which the user can identify, and time and date of activation attempts inside you ED webprofile

3.) 30+ day (i would rather say 60 or more) period with repeated online verification every x days AFTER installing DCS world on a new hardware config with your account. This gives hopefully enough time to either the rightful customer become aware that someone got access to his account and uses it to play for free.

This gives ED enough time revoke fraudulent activations after creditcard fraud in whatever shape or form has been brougth to their attention.

I kinda got the feeling that ED will not go back to the onetime activation thing. I kinda come around and think its fair enough for them to get at least a time period where they can identify and shutout fraudsters.

BUT, at the same time i believe it totally possible to lift the repeated online verification requirement for a specific DCS world installation after some time has passed and the validity of said installation has been established.

Too complicated for the enduser? I can't see that. Right now, we get our starforce keys per email (besides profile of course). Then, we'd get an activation link via email which acts as a notification simultaneously incase someone else is doing shady stuff with our account. Easy enough to implement a day counter ingame that tells you when you can sail off to Bermuda and never come back :)

SC_Neo

In cases of fraud, don't credit card companies / paypal reimburse the merchant?

Happy Simming,

Monnie

Rack Rig: Rosewill RSV-L4000 | Koolance ERM-3K3UC | Xeon E5-1680 v2 @ 4.9ghz w/EK Monoblock | Asus Rampage IV Black Edition | 64GB 2133mhz | SLI TitanXP w/ EK Waterblocks | 2x Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB | Seasonic 1000w Titanium | Windows 10 Pro 64bit | TM Warthog HOTAS w/40cm Extension | MFG Crosswind Rudders | Obutto R3volution | HP Reverb

hrm...i would think they reimburse the rightful holder of the credit card. Again, unless ED feels it necessary to further explain in detail what they are trying to achieve and why some measures would suffice and others are not really suitable, we are a bit clueless, i am afraid.

Not the smartest move by ED i would think. Its advisable to explain exactly what you want to achieve with a change that in all likelyhood they have known would be contentious. I mean, if they explained ''here folks, thats whats going in significants numbers in todays 'e-commerce online world' and we see this happening all the time (to you customers and us developers)...and thats what we're trying to accomplish...'', people here might have reacted a bit different. Anyway, i am sure they read our well intentioned proposions and maybe some of it fits their bill.

Cheers mate

Kinda confused here regarding the fraud bit

If a vendor when selling goods follows the correct authentication/verification procedure as laid down by the credit/debit card companies

to verify a purchase made by a card is legit have they not done their due diligence ?

and after the "goods" eg key have been handed over is it not the credit card companies problem ?

The vendor does he have to return the money ? and thereby loose money (of course he can revoke the key)

Edited by Johnny_Rico

METAR weather for DCS World missions

Guide to help out new DCS MOOSE Users -> HERE

Havoc Company Dedicated server info Connect IP: 94.23.215.203

SRS enabled - freqs - Main = 243, A2A = 244, A2G = 245

Please contact me HERE if you have any server feedback or METAR issues/requests

Kinda confused here regarding the fraud bit

If a vendor when selling goods follows the correct authentication/verification procedure as laid down by the credit/debit card companies

to verify a purchase made by a card is legit have they not done their due diligence ?

and after the "goods" eg key have been handed over is it not the credit card companies problem ?

Wishful thinking my friend :smilewink:

I handle the accounting for my wife's marketing biz. For the first time in 12 years, we had a client that paid with a stolen credit card last year. Here's what actually happened:

1) Client signed a contract and paid $699 for services with a credit card. The $699 was deposited to our merchant account (less ~3% merchant fee).

2) We provided the services as promised.

3) A month later, Visa contacted us to report the owner of the card was disputing the charge and that they had taken back the $699 from our merchant account. We had 30 days to present our side of the case of why the charge was valid and if we proved our case, they would return the $699. In the merchant processing world, this is known as the dreaded, "chargeback".

4) I believed the client was trying to claim we didn't do the work as defined in the contract, so I presented Visa with the signed contract and emails proving the work was completed as promised.

5) Visa denied my claim saying that once again, the owner of the credit card still disputed the charge.

6) At that point, I realized what had actually happened. The client paid for our services with a stolen card. When the actual card holder received the bill, he rightfully disputed the charge so Visa took it back from us and we were SOL.

It would be nice to believe that as a vendor who did everything correct with a signed contract and followed the credit card companies own rules for validating cards, that the credit card company would eat the fraudulent charge and not hold us accountable, no such luck. Credit card companies are not in the business of giving away money...if so they wouldn't have an exception in the US tax code allowing them to violate the usury laws everyone else is held to...but that's another story :mad:

The fact is, when people pay with a stolen card, it's the vendor who accepted that card that is ultimately out both the funds and the product/service they provided...regardless of how diligent they were in validating the card.

It's part of the cost of doing business :doh:

Alienware Area-51M: i7-9700K, 165Hz 27" ASUS Swift PG279 IPS with G-SYNC, 32GB DDR4 Ram, 1TB M.2 PCie x4 SSD, 1TB SSHD, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 8GB GDDR6, Windows 10, CH Eclipse...

Check out my fictional F/A 18-C Hornet and Su33 Flanker skins at: https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/?CREATED_BY=WytchCrypt&set_filter=Y

WytchCrypt,

Do you go through a credit card processing company or does your wife's business process the credit cards?

Happy Simming,

Monnie

ED if you are using Denuvo then this will be the last module I buy. I for one do not want anything on my computer that I do not need. I felt it was sneaky to impose this after I had prepaid for the Harrier and I request to know who's protection system you are using. There was nothing wrong with the old system that I'm aware of and that was linked to your account. DRM only hurts people who legitimately buy products.

I would agree as others have mentioned. I would like to have seen remove this DRM option.

Edited by MaverickScot
Space bar not functioning as expected...lol
  • Like 1

Here we go again, Ive seen this time and time again over the years , its pointless , if someone wants to hack or steal from us the customers or ED themselves there is no security system that cannot be hacked or broken this has been proven many times before , all it will achieve is endless complaints and arguments , I travel allot and have spent weeks and longer without any internet connection - not everyone lives in the heart of NY/PARIS or LONDON :helpsmilie:

Just my two cents...

Jafa

• Like 1

[sIGPIC]picture.php?albumid=1526&pictureid=9861[/sIGPIC]

The majority is now for 90 days, the nearest option of the old system ( option you'd take care to not proposing in the vote ). The message isn't clear enough ED ?

CPU: I7-6700K 4Ghz, GC: nVidia GeForce Titan X Gigabytes, 32 Go DDR4, Motherboard: Gigabytes Z170X-Gaming 3. OS: W10-Family, 3 HD Samsung SSD 850 Pro 1TB + 1 Samsung SSD EVO 500 Gb. Oculus Rift CV1

• ED Team
The majority is now for 90 days, the nearest option of the old system ( option you'd take care to not proposing in the vote ). The message isn't clear enough ED ?

Just to be clear, that is 124 votes out of 60,000+ forums members. But regardless, ED has already been reviewing this since last week. They should have news soon.

64Sig.png
Forum RulesMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine#0440• **How to Report a Bug**

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png

IMPORTANT: AV-8B COPY PROTECTION CHANGE!

Dear all,

With the release of the AV-8B today, it is import to know that this will be the first DCS World product that uses our new protection system. Rather than use StarForce keys, we are moving to a “keyless” system which binds your purchase to your http://www.dcs-world.com username, and NOT a key. You will not need a constant internet connection either. The new system will just “phone home” after a three day period or the next time you log into DCS World.

This new system will also provide benefits for Steam users and Gifting. Once those details are worked out, we look forward to sharing them with you.

We strongly believe that this will make protection of your DCS World products much more simple. At a later point, we hope to apply this same protection system to all of our other modules.

Also, the AV-8B release today is for the Open Beta version of DCS World. Please make sure you use this version and that you update it today.

We must release all new aircraft modules on the Caucasus map first as not everyone may operate one of the DCS 2.1 maps. We don't believe it fair to force customers to purchase one of these maps to fly their new aircraft. We do though plan to update DCS 2.1 for the AV-8B in the next one to two weeks.

Thanks,

The Eagle Dynamics Team

Been with DCS 7 or 8 years and have most of the inventory.

I will not be buying anything new from DCS until I see how this newbie issue plays out.

I will give it awhile, watch and see.

By the way : DCS is the only game / sim I play .

Don't go screwing it up... I will say bye-bye if you'all screw it up !!

Edited by DieHard

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

WytchCrypt,

Do you go through a credit card processing company or does your wife's business process the credit cards?

Happy Simming,

Monnie

Hi Monnie,

at the time of the incident I described we were running our credit cards through Intuit Merchant Processing. I'd physically run the cards myself, but it would be through the Intuit online portal or as part of a Quickbooks entry. We've recently moved on to Elavon for a much lower merchant processing fee and luckily have not had another "chargeback". I really can't complain though, 12 years running cards and only 1 fraudulent charge makes for a pretty good average :smilewink:

I think I see what you're getting at. Perhaps if we were paying a third party to do our processing, that the contract would be written that they would take the hit on fraudulent charges?

Dennis

I think I see what you're getting at. Perhaps if we were paying a third party to do our processing, that the contract would be written that they would take the hit on fraudulent charges?

Dennis

Ding Ding Ding "Give this smart man a prize" :cheer3nc::clap::cheer3nc:

Yes. That is how I ran my businesses

Happy Simming,

Monnie

Ding Ding Ding "Give this smart man a prize" :cheer3nc::clap::cheer3nc:

Yes. That is how I ran my businesses

Happy Simming,

Monnie

Very clever...thanks for the tip :thumbup:

I suggest it runs authentication only when updating or rolling back DCS. This way, installed modules can rollback to previous working states in case bugs arise, thus preventing need to get online for authentication every three days. Similarly, helps module owners who dont have access to internet to enjoy them at current state if they are travelling or suffering from connectivity problems or hurdles to connect.

AWAITING ED NEW DAMAGE MODEL IMPLEMENTATION FOR WW2 BIRDS

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.

ED if you are using Denuvo then this will be the last module I buy. I for one do not want anything on my computer that I do not need. I felt it was sneaky to impose this after I had prepaid for the Harrier and I request to know who's protection system you are using. There was nothing wrong with the old system that I'm aware of and that was linked to your account. DRM only hurts people who legitimately buy products.

I would agree as others have mentioned. I would like to have seen remove this DRM option.

Stop reading info from the other tabloid forums.

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs