how to enter coordinates for Waypoints?

mutz

Gents

I tried to enter the Waypoints via the UFC as described in several tutorials.

But it does not take the coordiantes. I tried it via all 3 Displays no chance. I reinstalled the Hornet complete, no chance to enter the coordinates. INS or DEL Waypoints work fine, just not able to enter the coordinates :cry:

Is it not anymore installed?

Thanks for any advise.

Cheers Mutz

I can enter coordinates like it‘s described in the Guide. First POSN. The First Thing Is to enter N E S W and than enter the coordinates from left to right and ignore the point. After the First coordinate sequence press enter. Then enter the second coordinate sequence. Without pressing POSN again. If you press POSN again you‘ll reset all. After this you have to enter the altitute of the waypoint in feet of meters.

But I have also a question. When I enter the coordinates, the System enter the last two digits of the sequence different as entered. Thats strange. Is it a Pilot-Problem or a bug?

Thanks doldi

This is what I have done. After the first coordinate (Nxxxxx) and enter, it does not take it on the HSI. Therfore I can not continue with the other coordinate (Wxxxxxx).Weird.

It seems so simple. INS is lined up and on NAV, but I guess this is not an issue.

I have no clue how to continue....

It seem other reply while i was writing.. but here are my reply anyway.

HI..

Before i wrote this, i start my game and the f18c and tested, and in my game it work 100%. ( 12-07-2018 )

I used the right MDF when i program the waypoint.

And i know that it is working in my friends games also since sometimes one of us read the coordinates while we are 3 people entering them on the ufc and programming the navigation system before we fly.

I dont know what you are doing wrong..

But on the waypoint screen notise that there are two buttons named UFC

one in the top, and one in the bottom ( named wpesqufc )

personaly i use the top ufc button.

( look this video it show you the button )

When you press UFC, then Press POSN on the keypad in front of you, and you should be able to enter the coordinates.

( ps waypiont 0 is always your home base waypoint, so select example waypoint 1 and edit the waypoint info. )

OR you can create some new waypoints example 2-3-4-5-6 and then for each one manual enter the coordinates.

( i program using either the left or right mdf )

One issue though.

- if you create 2-3 waypoint where you manual enter the coordinates and height, then it will not draw the navigation line on the map, but the waypoints will be there and you see a small "pyramid" showing you the direction, as well as you see an icon on your head up display of what direction to fly.

good luck

But I have also a question. When I enter the coordinates, the System enter the last two digits of the sequence different as entered. Thats strange. Is it a Pilot-Problem or a bug?

Its correct, you enter degrees, minutes and seconds, but the hornet stores the seconds as decimal minutes, so 1 minute 30 seconds is stored as 1.5 minutes.

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

Thanks for your answers. All your describtions are correct and this is the way I have done it. sad.gif

Well at least I know that it works ....normally

Therfore it must be a problem on my setup/system.

I will try again this evening, when I am back home.

Cheers Mutz

Thanks for your answers. All your describtions are correct and this is the way I have done it. sad.gif

Well at least I know that it works ....normally

Therfore it must be a problem on my setup/system.

I will try again this evening, when I am back home.

Cheers Mutz

Provide a track so we can spot what's wrong.

i7-7700K@4.8GHz, 16Gb-3200, GTX-1080Ti-Strix-11Gb, Maximus IX Hero, Oculus Rift, Thrustmaster Warthog+F/A-18C, Logitech G940 Pedals.

What are the coordinates you were trying to enter? I had an issue, I solved it by changing the seconds to a smaller value. In my case the value was 60, changed it to 59.

Twitch Channel

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Virtual Thunderbirds, LLC | Sponsored by Thrustmaster

Z390 Aorus Xtreme, i9 9900k, G.SKILL TridentZ Series 32GB, 1080ti 11GB, Obutto R3Volution, Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog, TPR, Cougar MFDs, FSSB R3L, JetSeat, Oculus Rift S, Buddy-Fox A-10C UFC, F/A-18C UFC, Tek Creations F-16 ICP

What are the coordinates you were trying to enter? I had an issue, I solved it by changing the seconds to a smaller value. In my case the value was 60, changed it to 59.

60 seconds is wrong, enter it as 0 seconds and add 1 to the minutes value.

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

Its correct, you enter degrees, minutes and seconds, but the hornet stores the seconds as decimal minutes, so 1 minute 30 seconds is stored as 1.5 minutes.

The precise pushbutton, when implemented, should allow us to input coordinates in decimal format (XX° XX.XX' or even XX° XX.XXX'). I think the display should follow suit.

Edited by Robin_Hood

Mutz, here's what I suspect you're doing wrong.

You're most likely trying to enter a coordinate of the form (degree minute decimal)

N 34°56.78'

While it's expecting a different format (degree minute second).

N 34°56'78"

...which is invalid because the "seconds" part cannot be larger than 60. When you do this it will reject your input. If you were entering .59 it would appear to work, but would be half a minute off target, and you may have remained clueless that you were doing anything wrong to begin with.

The correct conversion is to take the .78, multiply by 0.6 (60/100) and use that number (49) in the seconds field.

Usually I just approximate it (because my gameplay situation allows it), even using 00 seconds - that will guide me to the general area, but I know it's inaccurate and I know which direction from the waypoint it's at.

Usually I just approximate it (because my gameplay situation allows it), even using 00 seconds - that will guide me to the general area, but I know it's inaccurate and I know which direction from the waypoint it's at.

That's precise enough in most circumstances, 60" is never more than 1 NM. Or you can round it off at well-known fractions:

15" = 0.25

20" = 0.33

30" = 0.5

40" = 0.66

45" = 0.75

i7-7700K@4.8GHz, 16Gb-3200, GTX-1080Ti-Strix-11Gb, Maximus IX Hero, Oculus Rift, Thrustmaster Warthog+F/A-18C, Logitech G940 Pedals.

That's precise enough in most circumstances, 60" is never more than 1 NM. Or you can round it off at well-known fractions:

15" = 0.25

20" = 0.33

30" = 0.5

40" = 0.66

45" = 0.75

If only my Mk 82 hat a 1 mile blast radius...

When I press POSN, I don't get the colon ':' in the same little window where the POSN is but I do get a lit mark like a colon in the scratch pad window [to the left]. I have no problems inputting coordinates. Does anyone else have the same?

pos.JPG

Also I was trying to find a way in the Mission Editor to add a 2nd waypoint sequence for the HSI.

Can a 2nd and 3rd WP seq. be done in the ME or does it have to be done from the actual plane only?

Also for automatic conversion of seconds to decimal and vice versa press L-Ctrl + y [Info bar view toggle] then press L-Alt + y for unit conversion [Info bar coordinate units toggle]...keep pressing the toggle.

pos.JPG.2006a153a62400bbe0edf74de2dffa7f.JPG

When I press POSN, I don't get the colon ':' in the same little window where the POSN is but I do get a lit mark like a colon in the scratch pad window [to the left]. I have no problems inputting coordinates. Does anyone else have the same?

Same here.

Twitch Channel

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Z390 Aorus Xtreme, i9 9900k, G.SKILL TridentZ Series 32GB, 1080ti 11GB, Obutto R3Volution, Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog, TPR, Cougar MFDs, FSSB R3L, JetSeat, Oculus Rift S, Buddy-Fox A-10C UFC, F/A-18C UFC, Tek Creations F-16 ICP

Interesting, older videos I've seen show the colon in the POSN window...good to know I'm not alone and will chalk it up to an update bug.

I looked at my older twitch vods, and it was there for me as well.

Edited by =Panther=

Twitch Channel

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Mutz, here's what I suspect you're doing wrong.

You're most likely trying to enter a coordinate of the form (degree minute decimal)

N 34°56.78'

While it's expecting a different format (degree minute second).

N 34°56'78"

...which is invalid because the "seconds" part cannot be larger than 60. When you do this it will reject your input. If you were entering .59 it would appear to work, but would be half a minute off target, and you may have remained clueless that you were doing anything wrong to begin with.

The correct conversion is to take the .78, multiply by 0.6 (60/100) and use that number (49) in the seconds field.

I've been reading up on the format conversions and found this interesting thread.

I'm curious how you came up with (49) based on your calculation?

I came up with .78 x 60 = 46.8 seconds or round up to 47 seconds to be entered into the seconds field.

I've been reading up on the format conversions and found this interesting thread.

I'm curious how you came up with (49) based on your calculation?

I came up with .78 x 60 = 46.8 seconds or round up to 47 seconds to be entered into the seconds field.

I also came up with .468 also

Custom built W10 Pro 64Bit, Intel Core i9 9900k, Asus ROG Maximus Code XI Z390, 64GB DDR4 3200 RGB, Samsung 1TB NVme M.2 Drive, Gigabyte AORUS 2080TI, 40" Iiyama Display. Wacom Cintiq Pro 24, HOTAS Virpil T50 Stick / FA-18C TM Stick and Virpil T50 Throttle, MFG Crosswind Graphite Pedals. HP Reverb

SPECTER

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Lead Terrain Developer / Texture Artist