DCS : F4U-1 Corsair

Hueyman

4 hours ago, Chewmann said:

@Rudel_chw Can you share a link to those?  I searched and couldn’t find the IJN mods, though I found the aircraft and many others.  Here I go down a DEEP rabbit hole… Thanks!

https://forums.eagle.ru/topic/285745-wwii-japanese-pacific-theater-naval-order-of-battle/#comment-4812104

• Like 1

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

• 4 weeks later...

Let’s hope that the aircraft hasn’t just been given a “wave off”

• Like 1

System: 9700, 64GB DDR4, 2070S, NVME2, Rift S, Jetseat, Thrustmaster F18 grip, VPC T50 stick base and throttle, CH Throttle, MFG crosswinds, custom button box, Logitech G502 and Marble mouse.

Server: i5 2500@3.9Ghz, 1080, 24GB DDR3, SSD.

On 2/15/2022 at 9:00 AM, Mogster said:

No barrier.

Yeah, I noticed that too. I wonder if they have even thought of trying to simulate that? You know that IRL, sailors were stationed in the catwalk next to the 3 barriers and would lower their particular barrier if the landing plane had caught a wire but looked as though it would run into his barrier? They were individually operated by these sailors and I am not sure how that would be simulated in the DCS World. Maybe a proximity to the barrier and a hooked wire would cause the barrier to lower? Once the plane was stopped in the arresting wires, the sailors would all lower their barriers so he could taxi out of the arresting wires and they would go back up again for the next plane in the groove. That would be pretty tough to simulate in this world of knuckleheads we deal with in MP servers!! 😂

• Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Well, before you go making that kind of pronouncement, make sure that you understand what it is we're talking about here. The barriers we're talking about are not at all like the one you are probably referring to that you'd find on a modern day angeled deck carrier. These are basically an arresting wire that is lifted about 3-4 feet off the deck that were intended to "trip" a plane that missed the arresting wires before it could crash into the pack of planes that were parked forward. These barriers were always rigged (erected) whenever the ship was taking aircraft aboard.

The barrier you are probably thinking of is a large net-like afair that is strung across the arresting area on the angled deck to snag a plane that may have broken its arresting hook, damaged its landing gear or any number of other problems that would prevent a normal arrested landing.....and where a suitable land base was beyond the range of the stricken plane to make.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

20 minutes ago, AG-51_Razor said:

Well, before you go making that kind of pronouncement, make sure that you understand what it is we're talking about here. The barriers we're talking about are not at all like the one you are probably referring to that you'd find on a modern day angeled deck carrier. These are basically an arresting wire that is lifted about 3-4 feet off the deck that were intended to "trip" a plane that missed the arresting wires before it could crash into the pack of planes that were parked forward. These barriers were always rigged (erected) whenever the ship was taking aircraft aboard.

The barrier you are probably thinking of is a large net-like afair that is strung across the arresting area on the angled deck to snag a plane that may have broken its arresting hook, damaged its landing gear or any number of other problems that would prevent a normal arrested landing.....and where a suitable land base was beyond the range of the stricken plane to make.

I thought with a WW2 straight deck carrier barriers were used to protect aircraft that had already landed and moved to the front of the deck. You’d land, catch the wire, the barrier (tall net type thing) would be moved and you’d quickly taxi to the bow area. The barrier would be lowered and the next aircraft would land. 

I could be wrong though, or maybe this wasn’t routine.

Go to YouTube and search for this: Flight Deck Crews: Landing & Re-Spotting World War 2 Aircraft Carrier Planes  I would've just copy and pasted the link to the video but I'm not sure if that is kosher. Anyway, there are several glimpses of the barriers and how they are operated. And Mogster, you are exactly correct about the barriers!.

• Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm sure they are all just awaiting you to speak so they come wherever you're just to give you a heads up because you're special. It's not like they should keep working on their pending modules, or perhaps they don't want to sell their work, eating daily is overrated, yeah 🤣 .

• Like 2

"I went into the British Army believing that if you want peace you must prepare for war. I believe now that if you prepare for war, you get war."

-- Major-General Frederick B. Maurice