DDI yellow in Day Mode at night

theIRIEone

As titled, since 2.5.6

Attached screenshot from "Dire Straits" Mission

Left DDI: Day Mode - Yellow

Right DDI: Night Mode - Dimmed Green

HUD: Day Mode - Bright Green as expected

I have noticed that a slight adjustment of the DDI brightness will change from yellow to green (slight adjustment of it). Not sure if this is intended behavior of the color on displays, or an adjustment that needs to be addressed internally from ED. Haven't flown the F/A-18C lot 20 in real life, so can't have a RL reference.

Cheers,

Don

i7 6700 @4ghz, 32GB HyperX Fury ddr4-2133 ram, GTX980, Oculus Rift CV1, 2x1TB SSD drives (one solely for DCS OpenBeta standalone) Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Thrustmaster Cougar MFDs

Airframes: A10C, A10CII, F/A-18C, F-14B, F-16C, UH=1H, FC3. Modules: Combined Arms, Supercarrier. Terrains: Persian Gulf, Nevada NTTR, Syria

In the materials.lua that determines the colors, it states that according to MIL-C-25050, the RGB conversion of the X/Y CIE color for the green used on the DDIs should be (204,255,0) which appears far more yellow in DCS. They adjusted the values to (94,202,0) based on color-balanced photos, but if you begin to shift the input levels of that color, it begins to turn yellow as the input level moves towards 0.

Edited by Tholozor

REAPER 51 | Tholozor
VFA-136 (c.2007): https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3305981/
Arleigh Burke Destroyer Pack (2020): https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3313752/

Why is it just one then?

Depending on my daytime setting (I think so anyway) in missions my DDIs are either green or yellow. Both left and right, MPCD is more gloomy than my Samsung smartphone in the new light settings...

Wonder if that's correct as well..

I checked that RGB values (thanks) online and they look sort of lime to me, but not yellow as I see them in DCS Hornet.

Intel i7-13700KF :: ROG STRIX Z790-A GAMING WIFI D4 :: Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB ::  MSI RTX 4080  Gaming X Trio  :: VKB Gunfighter MK.III MCG Ultimate :: VPC MongoosT-50 CM3 :: non-VR :: single player :: open beta

In the OP's image, his left DDI is on Day mode, his right DDI is on Night mode, so the color can't reach the color input level to change its tone. If both DDIs were on the same mode with the brightness knob at the same setting, they'd be identical. The color is only actually defined for the left DDI in the materials.lua; the right DDI and AMPCD just reference the left DDI to obtain the value, but it's entirely possible to mod it to give each screen a different color if you wanted, haha.

Edited by Tholozor

REAPER 51 | Tholozor
Arleigh Burke Destroyer Pack (2020): https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3313752/

In the OP's image, his left DDI is on Day mode, his right DDI is on Night mode, so the color can't reach the color input level to change its tone. If both DDIs were on the same mode with the brightness knob at the same setting, they'd be identical. The color is only actually defined for the left DDI in the materials.lua; the right DDI and AMPCD just reference the left DDI to obtain the value, but it's entirely possible to mod it to give each screen a different color if you wanted, haha.

While both DDIs where in different modes as you described, putting them both in the same Day Mode doesn't fix the problem but just leaves both DDIs yellow. I only noticed that because mission starts with both DDIs in day mode, as you can see in the screenshot attache to this reply.

1Untitled.thumb.png.4af3a275083065a0b0e798b7aa01369c.png

I didn't say that they wouldn't be yellow, I said they'd appear the same.

If you turn the brightness knobs (lower left corner of each DDI) down, they should start to turn back to green in Day mode. Alternatively, set both to Night mode.

REAPER 51 | Tholozor

While both DDIs where in different modes as you described, putting them both in the same Day Mode doesn't fix the problem but just leaves both DDIs yellow. I only noticed that because mission starts with both DDIs in day mode, as you can see in the screenshot attache to this reply.

Have you tried using the brightness adjustment knob on the DDI and AMPCD? Mine are similar, but a quick adjustment of each display, via the brightness adjustment knob brings them into a shade of green rather than yellow, and brings the AMPCD from "iPhone at full brightness when it's dimly lit around you" to readable and not harsh to the eyes. The AMPCD still isn't perfect, but much better than before for me after adjustments in the cockpit.

Cheers,

Don

i7 6700 @4ghz, 32GB HyperX Fury ddr4-2133 ram, GTX980, Oculus Rift CV1, 2x1TB SSD drives (one solely for DCS OpenBeta standalone) Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Thrustmaster Cougar MFDs

Airframes: A10C, A10CII, F/A-18C, F-14B, F-16C, UH=1H, FC3. Modules: Combined Arms, Supercarrier. Terrains: Persian Gulf, Nevada NTTR, Syria

Yes, of course does adjusting the brightness knob work, and it even might make things green again, but that is not the point of this post. (switching to night mode in night time does as well)

What i am observing is, that the DDI displays a different color in Day Mode depending on the in game daytime, and i don't think DDIs have color shifting abilities.. What should probably happen is the DDI being way too bright in day mode at night, not yellow, i assume.

Obviously i don't fly in day mode at night, but that's not because of DDI color. It's because of the same reason you don't drive your car with interior lights on at night.. You don't want to be in a highly illuminated environment trying to see outside, that doesn't work.

Yes, of course does adjusting the brightness knob work, and it even might make things green again, but that is not the point of this post. (switching to night mode in night time does as well)

What i am observing is, that the DDI displays a different color in Day Mode depending on the in game daytime, and i don't think DDIs have color shifting abilities.. What should probably happen is the DDI being way too bright in day mode at night, not yellow, i assume.

Obviously i don't fly in day mode at night, but that's not because of DDI color. It's because of the same reason you don't drive your car with interior lights on at night.. You don't want to be in a highly illuminated environment trying to see outside, that doesn't work.

For me, it seems when the sunlight hits the DDIs / AMPCD, the hue changes to a more yellow color. When the sun is at my 12, the displays are green. I wasn't suggesting that you are flying at night with them in daylight mode - believe you misunderstood my attempt at helping. Best of luck, all good on my side.

Cheers,

Don