DCS and Pimax

Wags

I think I know why I got so high a FPS. Even though I ran DCS.EXS directly and nt through SteamVR, SteamVR was running in the background in Task Manager and I had had the SS set to 20% with Pitool at 1.0 and DCS at 2.0. When I increased SS to 150% SteamVR to play another game, going back to DCS without SteamVR, the FPS was in the 20s. So try setting steam SS to 20% since is still runs in the background when running DCS directly. It still looks great.

The Black Art of Pimax VR Optimizing.:megalol:

Recent experiments with My 8K and DCS / Il2 has lead me to understand that SteamVR Video Render setting should be set low if you want high frame rates.

Render resolution can be bumped up with SteamVR App Render settings so say you have Video Render at 20%, run App Render at 300 or 400%

With DCS you can also use the internal SS setting to the same effect as SteamVR App Render Resolution setting.

Don't ask me how it all comes together but I have experimented and swapped roles of Video and App Render settings maintaining the same final target resolution and when ever I have Video Render Setting high in SteamVR FPS go out the window.

I am still experimenting with settings for the 8K but for Il2 I run PiTool Render 1.25, Normal FOV, SteamVR Video 44% and App 300%

Aim is to get frames in the 50's on the ground which will get higher once in the air but with decent resolution. RTX owners can use FFR in DCS which works best on Large FOV and high render resolutions.

Can't wait for the 8KX to arrive and more development in both DCS and Il2. :thumbup:

p.s. still trawling through this thread but thought I'd give my 2 cents.

Edit. After more testing - SteamVR App SS% has no effect. Seems to be the combo of PiTool SS, SteamVR Video SS and DCS VR SS which work.

On the flip side FFR works well in Large FOV mode.

C'est la vie.

Edited by blitze

• 2 weeks later...

I tried to do some optimizations for my Pimax setup recentrly. I disabled motion smoothing and realized, for some reason my Pimax is stuck at 60 fps. No matter what Terrain I am flying over. On the Nevada map I had more than 60 fps some weeks ago. CPU time is 9ms. I looked into the SteamVR settings, also the specific ones for DCS. Legacy reprojection on /off does not do anything. Even went back to PiToolSetup_1.0.1.245_R255_Beta. Didnt help. The funny thing is my monitor is also set at 60 fps. Seems like DCS cant overcome my monitors fps. Whats going on? Any ideas?

darkman222, I still haven't received the Pimax I ordered yet, so please pardon my lack of direct experience to share. That said, could it be that you have Vsync turned on in DCS or else in Nvidia Control Panel / Inspector?

Just the 60 fps cap number reminds me of that. Hope it helps, good luck!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

My Setup: Vive Pro 2, RTX 3090, I7-11700K, VKB Gladiator II/K conversion, TWCS, TPR pedals, PlaySeat, SimShaker, VoiceAttack

Darryl thanks for the quick reply. Vsync was on in DCS. I never thought it would affect vR gaming. You probably saved me from formatting my PC and reinstalling DCS.

It shouldn’t affect VR gaming except to limit your headset to its refresh rate. I always have nVidia VSYNC on and my Reverb goes up to 90fps.

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

I dont know what exact setting it was. I just disabled Vsync everywhere because I dont have a Vsync capable display anymore.

Glad it worked for you. Vsync actually doesn't seem to affect VR for my system, but I have read several times that others shared your experience. C'est la vie, I guess?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

My Setup: Vive Pro 2, RTX 3090, I7-11700K, VKB Gladiator II/K conversion, TWCS, TPR pedals, PlaySeat, SimShaker, VoiceAttack

• 2 weeks later...
looks like parallel projections isnt needet in 2.5.6

can someone confirm

I confirm.

Works nice wihtout PP , zoom etc.. all works

Much better , fps are also beter with PP off:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Oculus CV1, Odyssey, Pimax 5k+ (i5 8400, 24gb ddr4 3000mhz, 1080Ti OC )

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Q: Pimax HMDs work with either the original (SteamVR 1.0) or latest (SteamVR 2.0) base stations, correct?

Q: Is there any noticeable difference in performance between those 2 devices when using them? I believe the FOV is a bit wider now, but for seated-only could I even tell?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

yes they work with the 1.0 base stations. That is what I have. I don't think they would effect performance, just possible tracking. The 1.0 devices work great for me, track my head movements just fine.

Higher FOV is noticeably, not sure what seated only has to do with it? I came from a Oculus Rift CV1 and it was a big difference for me.

Higher FOV is noticeably, not sure what seated only has to do with it? I came from a Oculus Rift CV1 and it was a big difference for me.

Thanks for the reply.

To clarify: my 2nd question was about the base stations, not the HMD. The FOV of the 2.0 base station is a bit wider than 1.0 from what I heard, hence room coverage may be larger, or possibly better occlusion resistance or something? But I assumed that wouldn't really matter for seated use (i.e. not moving around the room).

Has anybody tried both 1.0 and 2.0?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Gents ... I have a 5k+ and from what I gather in the forum, it's best to set VR Application settings as close to 2550x1440, turn SS and Vertical Sync off in DCS and pray for the best. I have done all of the above except I still have an annoying stutter. Request your words of wisdom.

Using Pitool .249, 1080Ti.

Edited by Shack

Intel i9 7980XE @4.4Hz

64GB DDR4 RAM at 2666MHz

GTX 1080Ti with 11GB GDDR5X

Reverb Pro HMD

HOTAS: TM Warthog throttle / TM F18 Grip

Dual H640P Huion tablets used with VRK (Virtual Kneeboard ) software

Gametrix JetSeat with SimShaker

DOF Reality P6, 6 axis Motion Platform

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Gents ... I have a 5k+ and from what I gather in the forum, it's best to set VR Application settings as close to 2550x1440, turn SS and Vertical Sync off in DCS and pray for the best. I have done all of the above except I still have an annoying stutter. Request your words of wisdom.

Using Pitool .249, 1080Ti.

You could try this Alpha Release...Lois are Happy with it.

https://community.openmr.ai/t/alpha-pitool-1-0-1-254a-jan-21-2020/25366

Patrick

mini.gif

You could try this Alpha Release...Lois are Happy with it.

https://community.openmr.ai/t/alpha-pitool-1-0-1-254a-jan-21-2020/25366

Thanks I tried the Alpha and I'm still getting an abysmally low FPS just sitting on the ramp. FPS shows at 8-12 FPS. I think that's the cause of the stuttering (?), but cant figure out why all of a sudden I'm getting 10 FPS. I have a pretty powerful machine and this hasn't been an issue before. At least not this bad.

Intel i9 7980XE @4.4Hz

64GB DDR4 RAM at 2666MHz

Reverb Pro HMD

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Thanks I tried the Alpha and I'm still getting an abysmally low FPS just sitting on the ramp. FPS shows at 8-12 FPS. I think that's the cause of the stuttering (?), but cant figure out why all of a sudden I'm getting 10 FPS. I have a pretty powerful machine and this hasn't been an issue before. At least not this bad.

Are you using The New DCS 2.5.6 Open Beta?? Lots of VR users are reporting a significant FPS Decrease.

Patrick

mini.gif

Are you using The New DCS 2.5.6 Open Beta?? Lots of VR users are reporting a significant FPS Decrease.

Thanks. Is there a way to revert back to 2.5.5 ?

Intel i9 7980XE @4.4Hz

64GB DDR4 RAM at 2666MHz

Reverb Pro HMD

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Yes,Have a look at this great Utility

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=160053

....BTW a New OB was launched today,I have not downloaded/cked FPS yet,