[REPORTED] TACAN froze

discwalker

TACAN range and beacon position updating freezes in long distances (120nm-70nm) until other channel is set.

In case of freeze: without TACAN channel reset

you can fly over the beacon and see for example 70nm range to it.

The freeze can occure spontaneous or in the moment of course set.

tracks: 2.5.2.18144.387 fly to Senaki-Kolkhi 31X TSK from direction of Sochi-Adler with hot started planes, SP

(bug appeared with 16X BTM/ 44X KTS also, with ground/air/carrier started plane)

I tested Nevada map (GRL, LSV and INS) and that not failed.

2,5,2,18144_tacanfreeze101,3nmTSK_natur.trk

2,5,2,18144_tacanfreeze78,5nmTSK_course.trk

GTX 1070 8GB, 16GB DDR3, W8.1 on SSD, DCS on another SSD

• 3 weeks later...

ON/OFF button: more than two states

The opening tracks still able to present the freeze issue during natural closure or set course.

new track: the unmodified "Caucasus FA-18C Carrier Takeoff.miz" instant action

Now another freeze methods: push the ON/OFF button via shortcut or mouse click.

Another problem: the 17X tacan of Stennis only showing azimuth (no range)

(17X is able to work with range in a modified mission.)

2,5,2,18736tacan17Xazimuthonly+onofffreeze.trk

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Same here in Nevada! Nellis tacan get freeze after a few miles out. Sometimes near and some time far. Anyway, when I push On/OFF button a couple of times, DME distance and Tacan course come alive again.

I Thought that was a bug in Nevada map, but it seems that is a bug in the airplane.

This happens anywhere as soon as there's something (terrain in most cases) in between the TCN station and your aircraft. Usually I switch to T and back to T/R to hotfix this, but I highly guess it should be able to pick up signal by itself after it's been lost.

dcsdashie-hb-ed.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Try the ON-OFF button on the UFC.

Sometimes that happens to me and just turning on-off the tacan fixes it.

" You must think in russian.."

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Windows 7 Home Premium-Intel 2500K OC 4.6-SSD Samsung EVO 860- MSI GTX 1080 - 16G RAM - 1920x1080 27´

Hotas Rhino X-55-MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals -Track IR 4

Here's the corrected link:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/qg1nqkrebp2edq4/Weapons_Freeflight_Training_v3.03.35-20181205-113051.trk?dl=0

Without having watched it, I guess it's the old TACAN freeze bug that always happens as soon as the LOS between the station and ownship is broken. Has been like this since the very beginning of the Hornet early access and it has been reported numerous times. Quick workaround at least is

. I usually switch to T and back to T/R to get it running again, but it gets kinda annoying, especially if you have selected the station at Khasab for example which is practically hidden in a valley that makes it lose contact very easily.

dcsdashie-hb-ed.jpg

Now I attached two in 1 trk frozen TACAN states

steps to reproduce:

0: Start approx 120NM from TSK TACAN station (from out of range)

1: Turn TACAN volume knob to 100% (to hear during frozen state receiving noise stays active!)

3: Turn on tacan 31X, draw TACAN info to HUD

4: Fly towards station approx 10k feet above open sea

5: Once distance is measured: fly straight to station in constant speed and altitude

6: catch the moment when distance measurement stops working

(2,5,3,24984_tacanfroze_ship-Senaki108,1NM.trk is replayable for me with the version I created,

approximately 108NM from TSK tacan station TACAN is froze. After resetting to the end of track I fly to Senaki without TACAN problem.)

2,5,3,24984_seaAir+SochiRW_to_Senaki_approx89+110NMtacanFrozen.trk

I tried a number of TACAN flights on my own, I had no issue, can you guys give me your procedures to see if there is something off in that? So far I haven't had any freezes, but I will continue to test tonight.

Although it "can" fault at any time, TACAN usually fails after prolonged use i.e. +40 minutes of being on, tuned to the same station and flying around.

The reason I suffered initially was, I'd startup and tune in the TACAN and spend 20-30 minutes learning the cockpit, writing check lists, etc. before takeoff and the TACAN would often fail 10-20 minutes later.

It rarely gives issues today, as I typically takeoff from a AB, attack a ground target and only later tune to the carrier TACAN to find the carrier group and land.

I've lost TACAN in the Hornet, 7-6 nm from the carrier i.e. it was visual, so it's not a LOS or switch issue.

In the F-5E, I've spent the best part of an hour, dipping in and out of valleys (breaking LOS) and having NO BUG, only to have the TACAN freeze when I was in the 'pattern' and about to turn to the base leg (at the 55 minute mark).

This F/A-18C Tacan track still fails (distance freezes @ 34.1 nm) in Open Beta 2.5.324974 when played at x3

Note: On my system, the TACAN bug fails to reproduce when tracks are replayed at high fast forward speeds i.e. it stopped the TACAN freezing.

i9 9900K @4.7GHz, 64GB DDR4, RTX4070 12GB, 1+2TB NVMe, 6+4TB HD, 4+1TB SSD, Winwing Orion 2 F-15EX Throttle + F-16EX Stick, TPR Pedals, TIR5, Win 10 Pro x64, 1920X1080

• 5 weeks later...

I had this last night on A2A with my flight lead 0.8NM off my wing, 1000ft altitude separation and over the water, therefore nothing in the way. I turned back in toward lead and even though I closed into parade formation, my TACAN still said 0.8DME. Clicking X and back to Y cleared it, but I had to do this a number of times during the remainder of the flight and it was making me have trust issues. I have seen the TCN disappear due to ground feature interference, this is different, the TCN DME is still visible, it just doesn't change value, even when it is absolutely obvious that the distance between the two aircraft is significantly changing.

Happened to me last night. Was 70 miles from the Stennis and had just boxed the TACAN on the HSI. it never dropped from 70 nm but was providing bearing information. Cycling the Tacan on and off did the trick.

something to not, I had the TACAN number entered and on from the start of the flight, about an hour in duration prior to boxing it in the HSI.

Strike

USLANTCOM.com

stepped_with_391_new_small.png

i7-9700K OC 5GHz| MSI MPG Z390 GAMING PRO CARBON | 32GB DDR4 3200 | GTX 3090 | Samsung SSD | HP Reverb G2 | VIRPIL Alpha | VIRPIL Blackhawk | HOTAS Warthog

• 4 weeks later...

Tacan Data Error

After a refueling flight, I decides to land at Kobuleti. Set Tacan 67X, the ATC send me instructions to land on RWY255, so I set the course to 244 and aimed to intercept the proper radial for this land as for the approach RWY chart. But I think the HSI froze and didn't give me info for this airfield. See image.

Yup, I have had this happen with the CV too. To fix it, you have to cycle the TCN on/off button on the UFC and it will begin tracking again. Not sure what this bug is, but it was reported before and Nineline or Wags said they could not reproduce it and the thread was buried.

Strike

USLANTCOM.com

i7-9700K OC 5GHz| MSI MPG Z390 GAMING PRO CARBON | 32GB DDR4 3200 | GTX 3090 | Samsung SSD | HP Reverb G2 | VIRPIL Alpha | VIRPIL Blackhawk | HOTAS Warthog

This is that forgot thread: https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=226304 (DCS: F/A-18C Hornet » Bugs » TACAN froze)

there you go. This is clearly an issues NineLine. What do you need from us?

Strike

USLANTCOM.com