Alerax's LSO AI Script

Hi Alerax,

Awesome, thanks for getting this started, I look forward to trying this out.

Are you familiar with Serge's vLSO program for FSX and P3D? See here https://vlso.blogspot.com/

This was the holy grail for us flying on those platforms, and it looks like you are getting this started in DCS, thanks!

I worked with Serge on getting multiple real world LSO audio clips, and have hundreds of wav files that I can send you if you want, it helps mix up the calls so it doesn't always sound like the same "right for lineup" or "power" for example.

Bravo Zulu!

Hi capthaltli- I'm not aware of the FSX vLSO. That's pretty awesome! Always open to improving the LSO AI Script. Feel free to message me and we can discuss how to add more immersion!

Also- let me know how this script performs against the vLSO. Feedbacks are welcome!

Edited by Alerax

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you so much, this thing is awesome. Hearing LSO calls (and waveoffs!) is really a game changer for me.

I was not able to follow LUA code, so here is my question: at which points do you check for waveoffs? It seems that if I am doing well at In Close position, then the script never waves me off if I lose the glidepath over the deck

For example, today I had a couple of landings, when I was lifted by turbulence just over the ramp. If I was flying on my own, I would have certainly waved off. But LSO didn't tell me anything, so I reduced power and crashed into the deck at 900+ FPM and 9Gs. The script graded me OK 3 wire.

Edited by abak

Dude, this is the best thing since sliced bread. Thank you!

Ryzen 7 5800X3D / Asus Crosshair VI Hero X370 / Corsair H110i / Sapphire Nitro+ 6800XT / 32Gb G.Skill TridentZ 3200 / Samsung 980 Pro M.2 / Virpil Warbrd base + VFX and TM grips / Virpil CM3 Throttle / Saitek Pro Combat pedals / Reverb G2

Thank you so much, this thing is awesome. Hearing LSO calls (and waveoffs!) is really a game changer for me.

I was not able to follow LUA code, so here is my question: at which points do you check for waveoffs? It seems that if I am doing well at In Close position, then the script never waves me off if I lose the glidepath over the deck

For example, today I had a couple of landings, when I was lifted by turbulence just over the ramp. If I was flying on my own, I would have certainly waved off. But LSO didn't tell me anything, so I reduced power and crashed into the deck at 900+ FPM and 9Gs. The script graded me OK 3 wire.

Hi abak- thanks for the feedback. Somewhat intended for a hard landing to be possible (i.e., no Wave-Off calls if you slam the deck) because in certain situations (night and turbulent) you just need to get wheels on deck. That being said, I'll make sure you don't get an "OK 3 wire" if you do that.

Alerax,

Awesome script! I'm trying to incorporate this into my server's main mission file, but I've run into the following script error:

attachment.php?attachmentid=195573&stc=1&d=1539033381

My guess is that the script is conflicting with the F10 menu commands my mission already has in place (there are many, from F1-F8 for various functions, all loaded with the vanilla UI "menuitem" command)

I've tried moving your script to the top of the order to see if loading it before mine resolves the problem, but no luck.

Any advice?

563628169_scripterror.thumb.jpg.f825d0c9b47530407d9575d831c7960e.jpg

Ryzen 7 5800X3D / Asus Crosshair VI Hero X370 / Corsair H110i / Sapphire Nitro+ 6800XT / 32Gb G.Skill TridentZ 3200 / Samsung 980 Pro M.2 / Virpil Warbrd base + VFX and TM grips / Virpil CM3 Throttle / Saitek Pro Combat pedals / Reverb G2

Sandman1330- Yep, I bet you didn't rename your Carrier Unit to "Stennis_AI".

Fun fact (for others): Stennis_AI is case sensitive!

I did indeed name it, but I did STENNIS_AI

Thanks!

So i testet your example Missions and got a little bit Feedback for you. :)

First to the mission:

1. If you want people to checkout your LSO Script then make a Mission Start in the Air where you are 4-5nm away from the Stennis with proper height and speed. Like the Case1 Mission from ED. haven the full rampstart and start from the deck every time IS annoying.

Please just let us start in the air a few seconds before enter the landing pattern. Thanks.

2. I know carrier filled with planes looks cool. But for VR users like me it slow the FPS down to make us sick. Please clear the deck. 1-4 planes are ok but puttung a plane everywere is just to much in my eyes.

Now to your LSO Script.

1. For an non native english speaker (im from germany) who concentrate on flying the landing paddern i just hear "brbrblrbrl brll to brlbrlb". Congrats to your sounds, they sound very good. But not understandable for me. Please add subtitles. You dont need 100% subtitles but maybe something like "Abeam to close - Wave off" in the same area where you show the information about the carrier.

2. Give a hint that the script starts correctly. Maybe a voice or at the info area. Like "Paddels has visual, start landing pattern" ore i dont know. So the pilot knows that the script triggers correctly.

3. Add a training Mode. Here you could give mroe info like "go in break" now, "go in groove now" ect. ect. some advice for people to learn the landing pattern.

4. What happens after the Wave off? How can i reset the LSO Script?

This is an absolute masterpiece and something I would rather expect from ED.

Cannot wait to give it a try.

Thank you very much for your effort and for sharing your results with us.

Yes indeed, thanks a lot!!!!!:thumbup:

Aorus Z390 Extreme MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.0 GHz | EVGA RTX 2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra | 32 GB G Skill Trident Z 3600 MHz CL14 DDR4 Ram | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler | Corsair TX 850M PS | Samsung 970 Evo Plus M.2 NVMe SSD 1TB |TMWH Hotas with VPC WarBRD Base| Corsair Gamer 570x Crystal Case | HP Reverb

OK found were to put files all in corresponding files in saved game it worked great got wave off then a landing but, it will not work on a second landing do have to always go around start at 800feet 350 knots on downwind is there a way you can just relaunch stay a 600 feet go 1-2 nm do 30 bank to reciprocal of BRC 30 turn at the round down roll out on BRC call ball at3/4 ml then land and get the LSO to come on and grade. If you are practicing or doing CQ you would just launch and stay in pattern at 600 feet need to add I removed the plans on cat 2 so I could use that if it makes a difference I also recorded the session

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Window 10, i9-9900,2080TI, 32GB ram Puma Pro Flight Trainer, 2 x 1TB WB SSD NVMe HP Reverb

So i testet your example Missions and got a little bit Feedback for you. :)

First to the mission:

1. If you want people to checkout your LSO Script then make a Mission Start in the Air where you are 4-5nm away from the Stennis with proper height and speed. Like the Case1 Mission from ED. haven the full rampstart and start from the deck every time IS annoying.

Please just let us start in the air a few seconds before enter the landing pattern. Thanks.

2. I know carrier filled with planes looks cool. But for VR users like me it slow the FPS down to make us sick. Please clear the deck. 1-4 planes are ok but puttung a plane everywere is just to much in my eyes.

Now to your LSO Script.

1. For an non native english speaker (im from germany) who concentrate on flying the landing paddern i just hear "brbrblrbrl brll to brlbrlb". Congrats to your sounds, they sound very good. But not understandable for me. Please add subtitles. You dont need 100% subtitles but maybe something like "Abeam to close - Wave off" in the same area where you show the information about the carrier.

2. Give a hint that the script starts correctly. Maybe a voice or at the info area. Like "Paddels has visual, start landing pattern" ore i dont know. So the pilot knows that the script triggers correctly.

3. Add a training Mode. Here you could give mroe info like "go in break" now, "go in groove now" ect. ect. some advice for people to learn the landing pattern.

4. What happens after the Wave off? How can i reset the LSO Script?

Hi Larkis- Thanks for your feedback. Addressing your comments below:

Mission file:

1. Done, updated mission file to start 7.5NM at 2,000ft behind Carrier.

2. Done, removed 75% of static objects on board Carrier. Hope this helps with your FPS.

LSO Script:

1. I'll consider subtitles, but for now, I'd prefer not having them because they are quite a distraction when trying to land. I started off with subtitles and found that I needed the sounds command to make this remotely useful.

2. Will consider this as well. The limitations of DCS script engine makes it difficult to track aircraft break pattern when there are multiple aircraft are flying in formation together. I wrote this code to fly in MP, so this had to consider this scenario.

3. This would be difficult, and I'd suggest flying with a friend who can watch you with the F2 view and help guide to on what to do in the landing pattern.

4. If you are Waved-Off, just follow the pattern again, it will reset automatically. Make sure that you are between 1.1NM and 1.5NM at the abeam position and don't turn the 180 until you are slightly behind the Carrier.

Good luck!

Hi rephiled- glad the LSO AI Script is working for you. In short, yes. If you landed the aircraft, you will need to take-off and re-enter the pattern the starboard side again. To practice multiple attempts, I'd suggest you leave the hook-up when landing. The LSO AI Script will still provide you with the description of your flight path (although it will be a "B", bolter pass). I believe this is how the Navy conduct their landing practices as well.

This is pretty nifty! I have a question though.

Is there a reason the script variables are obfuscated? I'm trying to edit an existing script to play nice with this script's radio menu, and trying to trace the logic is difficult as it is now.

Hi near_blind- Yes, the code is purposely written as such to prevent changes and having to manage multiple versions. Let me know what you are looking to do and I'm more than happy to help out.

Btw- I don't think the F10 menu would conflict with others... although, not sure what you are trying to do.

Hi near_blind- Yes, the code is purposely written as such to prevent changes and having to manage multiple versions. Let me know what you are looking to do and I'm more than happy to help out.

Btw- I don't think the F10 menu would conflict with others... although, not sure what you are trying to do.

I’ve managed to integrate it into my server mission, which has several F10 commands, without problem. Very slick!

Could I offer a suggestion? Maybe a comms entry in the Carrier Info menu section for a Comms check. LSO could respond "5 by 5" or something. To make sure that the sound files are loaded. I'd like to find a way around having to add all those triggers by having some other script load them all at mission start.

Fridge

----------

Things which do you no good in aviation:

1) Altitude above you;

2) Runway behind you;

3) Fuel in the truck;

4) The airspeed you don't have.

Hey guys.

We implemented the script and sound files as recommended in the youtube video, but when the first client joins we get the following error on the server;

Capture.jpg

Any pointers?

The Carrier is called Stennis_AI "exactly" as specified and when the mission starts up after closing the error on the server, we get a message stating that the script has loaded.

The error seems to indicate an issue with the Advanced Waypoint actions of the Stennis itself. These are set as shown here;

Capture.jpg

Edit: Found the issue. Both of the name fields must be blank in order for the script to pick up the values in the Advanced Waypoint actions.

Edited by Highwayman-Ed
Found problem

Intel i9-9900KF @5.2GHz

MSI Z390 Gaming Pro Carbon

32GB G.Skill Trident Z DDR3200 RAM

MSI RTX 2080 Ti Gaming X Trio

40" Panasonic TH-40DX600U @ 4K

Pimax Vision 8K Plus / Oculus Rift CV1 / HTC Vive

Gametrix JetSeat with SimShaker

Windows 10 64 Bit Home Edition

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Could I offer a suggestion? Maybe a comms entry in the Carrier Info menu section for a Comms check. LSO could respond "5 by 5" or something. To make sure that the sound files are loaded. I'd like to find a way around having to add all those triggers by having some other script load them all at mission start.

dwpenney- Thanks for the suggestion. That's a great way of handling the sound file. I'll definitely take a look. Appreciate the feedback.

Highwayman-Ed - thanks for figuring this out. Never really used the "Name" field so didn't write the script to handle it. I'll update the release note to reflect that the "Name" field needs to be blank until I get a chance to update the script.

Highwayman-Ed - thanks for figuring this out. Never really used the "Name" field so didn't write the script to handle it. I'll update the release note to reflect that the "Name" field needs to be blank until I get a chance to update the script.

You are welcome. Damned good script, you guys have done an impressive job :)

Intel i9-9900KF @5.2GHz

MSI Z390 Gaming Pro Carbon

32GB G.Skill Trident Z DDR3200 RAM

MSI RTX 2080 Ti Gaming X Trio

40" Panasonic TH-40DX600U @ 4K

Pimax Vision 8K Plus / Oculus Rift CV1 / HTC Vive

Gametrix JetSeat with SimShaker

Windows 10 64 Bit Home Edition

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

This is Outstanding work by you and your associates, ED should try to implement this as a training mission.

Spoiler:

MSI Z790 Carbon WIFI, i9 14900KF, 64GB DDR4, MSI RTX 4090, Thrustmaster Warthog Throttle, VKB Gunfighter Ultimate MCG Pro w/200mm Extension, Winwing Orion Rudder Pedals W/damper, UTC MK II Pro, Virpil TCS Plus Collective, Dell AW3418DW Gsync monitor, 970 Pro M2 1TB (for DCS), Playseat Air Force Seat, KW-980 Jetseat, Vaicom Pro, 3X TM Cougar with Lilliput 8" screens. Tek Creations panels and controllers.

Question if you launch after a trap and do it all over will it still keep track of the last 15 for ur bird or do you need to do hook up touch and go to ghet last 15 passes(pest ant I)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Window 10, i9-9900,2080TI, 32GB ram Puma Pro Flight Trainer, 2 x 1TB WB SSD NVMe HP Reverb

Version Changelogs:

v1.9.2 // 10.08.2018

- Tweaked LSO AI Grading logic to consider slamming on deck as Cut Pass.

Is this correct?

Considering this is 'slamming on deck and trapping'?

Or is this 'slamming on deck and bolter'?

| VR goggles | Autopilot panel | Headtracker | TM HOTAS | G920 HOTAS | MS FFB 2 | Throttle Quadrants | 8600K | GTX 1080 | 64GB RAM| Win 10 x64 | Voicerecognition | 50" UHD TV monitor | 40" 1080p TV monitor | 2x 24" 1080p side monitors | 24" 1080p touchscreen |