DCS: Mi-8MTV2 game vids

TL;DR That's actually a very good approach angle.

For a "normal" approach, the approach angle should be between 8 and 12 degrees, this according to the U.S. FAA's Rotorcraft Flying Handbook. So the approach angle in the video is pretty much spot on for a normal approach.

A "steep" approach is around 15 degrees.

Note that steep approaches are considered "advanced" maneuvers, requiring "more finesse and understanding of the helicopter and the surrounding environment. When performing these maneuvers, you will probably be taking your helicopter to the edge of the safe operating envelope." At least that's what the RFH has to say about it. A normal approach is a basic maneuver that's simpler and safer.

I should also point out that these angles are where the approaches generally start and they tend to flatten out at the bottom. In fact, below about 100 feet, a typical approach angle is closer to 5 degrees, while 8 degrees is almost considered steep by that time.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

I have flown the Mi-8 in 2 years for about 2 hours because to me it appears like a bus or more like a whale on land.

After 4 or 5 evenings practicing together with the other squad members, flying the Mi-8 feels pretty comfortable.

Settling with power, and vortex ring state still a constant thread by any approach. But to counter these issues from the procedure side and learning to "fly the numbers" are very successful.

It never performs like a sports car, but it's a howl lot of fun testing out its limits.

And again it points out: flying with fellow pilots and learn from them is much more fun the only getting online alone under strangers.

Always happy landings ;)

• 5 months later...

First ship landing with the Mi-8

I'm new to DCS - started flying a couple of months ago. And, with so many modules, I never found time for the Mi-8. The few times I tried flying it, it was a pain to fly and a super-pain to land. Then I realized that there are two separate throttles - one for each engine. I had been flying around using only the left engine! :) Once I started using both engines, the Mi-8 is now a different beast altogether. So, last night I decided to try my first landing on a ship. In the video below I take off from Batumi, land on a frigate, then back to Batumi. Not the most graceful of landings, but I'm still getting used to her. Hope you enjoy the video!

• 4 weeks later...