Mission Designer Resource

EvilBivol-1

• 2 months later...

I wish to play with the airport resource settings in the ME. but I came across some basic questions that I don't know the answer to regarding the amount of fuel a large or small airfield should have, or the amount of missiles, iron bombs/rockets and then smart munitions a squadron should have..

1) How much fuel should a basic military airfield have? the default is 100 tons.

2)how many planes should be available per airfield? per squadron?

3) how many munitions should be available??? I guess rockets and iron bombs are more plentiful??? Guided missiles/bombs and advanced A2A less??? the game defaults to 100 per item

4)how many civilian planes per airfield? yak-40s and an-26s?

5)how many logistic AC? C-130s and C-17s????

I understand real world data may not work out...but on a semi-realistic lvl, how many resources should be available (mainly fuel tons and missiles/bomb counts)????

It only takes two things to fly, Airspeed and Money.

• 2 months later...
bump...how much fuel is realistic???

Hi there, I actually had the same questions as you, and after stumbling upon this, I decided to spend an hour or so on google, which wasn't all that fruitful...

What I did find is something I hope you (and others) might find useful:

1. On fuel:

I didn't find anything specific, but there are aviation fuel storage tanks available up to 100.000 litres (Which is about 100 tons if I'm not mistaken...)

source: http://airfuelsystems.com/refuelling-solutions/aviation-fuel-storage/

2.A NATO-squadron usually consists of anywhere between 10-24 aircraft, but smaller or larger numbers are also possible (source: wikipedia). An airbase can house multiple squadrons.

3. On Ammo:

About the only thing I could find on this was this article (interesting read btw..)

http://usmilitary.about.com/library/milinfo/milarticles/blafnavy.htm

but that doesnt't really answer our questions.

4. On civ planes:

The number of civilian airplanes depends on the size of the airfield.

Usually I use the following site for my civ. airtraffic. It has info on almost all airfields used in DCS, and it should give you some idea of the number of aircraft.

http://www.flightstats.com/go/FlightStatus/flightStatusByAirport.do?airportCode=TBS&airportQueryType=1

5. I have no clue.

Whew, that turned out a bit longer then expected. I hope this is in any way useful, eventhough it doesn't really answer our questions all that much...

Perhaps some of the RL miitary people here can provide us with some more info?

Edited by VuDuBu

• 4 months later...

Soviet / Russian IADS / ADF Information

Whilst in the process of researching Soviet & later Russian IADS doctrine & SAM site layout I came across a huge amount of incredibly detailed information in the articles hosted on the Air Power Australia web site:

http://www.ausairpower.net/index.html

The site appears to have very detailed information on some surprisingly recent systems in addition to some of the legacy systems that appear in DCS.

Very, very much well worth reading.

• Like 1

System Spec: Cooler Master Cosmos C700P Black Edition case. | AMD 5950X CPU | MSI RTX-3090 GPU | 32GB HyperX Predator PC4000 RAM | | TM Warthog stick & throttle | TrackIR 5 | Samsung 980 Pro NVMe 4 SSD 1TB (boot) | Samsung 870 QVO SSD 4TB (games) | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit.

Personal wish list: DCS: Su-27SM & DCS: Avro Vulcan.

Whilst in the process of researching Soviet & later Russian IADS doctrine & SAM site layout I came across a huge amount of incredibly detailed information in the articles hosted on the Air Power Australia web site:

http://www.ausairpower.net/index.html

The site appears to have very detailed information on some surprisingly recent systems in addition to some of the legacy systems that appear in DCS.

Very, very much well worth reading.

Great Link/URL.

I agree .. it appears to have tons of relevant information.

Thanks for sharing.

SnowTiger:joystick:

• 1 year later...

Can somebody answer this for me? In BMS flights get randomly assigned mission call signs, Lobo 1, Cowboy 3, etc. Is that how combat ATO's work in real life? Random name generation, or is it more static? Ie most f15e flights get Dude and a number l, f18c Hornet and a number etc...

I am building multiplayer missions for our group. And can't seem to find an answer online.

Thanks,

Sage

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Edited by SageOT

VFA-25 Fist of the Fleet

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Virtual Carrier Strike Group One | Discord

• 5 weeks later...
. And can't seem to find an answer online.

There shouldn't be too much online. A real proper explanation of callsign usage would be big-time classified information and it would/should land you in jail (unless you are running for public office, then it's fine).

Sure there are some everyday unit callsigns that are out there and they are used, but in a real no-kidding tactical environment, I think you can expect those to be changed - particularly if there was an organized adversary out there that might be listening. BTW, our forces practice this (did it myself).

Perhaps some RL pilots that flew in the sandbox will chime in here.

[sIGPIC]sigpic65507_1.gif[/sIGPIC]

One things I've noticed from listening to comms recorded during Desert Storm and/or Kosovo, certain missions have callsigns that are related...

For example, the strikers might all have a dog related callsign, like ROVER, BENJI, LOBO.

Fighters might be car related callsigns, like FORD, VEGA, CHEVY, DODGE.

There shouldn't be too much online. A real proper explanation of callsign usage would be big-time classified information and it would/should land you in jail (unless you are running for public office, then it's fine).

Sure there are some everyday unit callsigns that are out there and they are used, but in a real no-kidding tactical environment, I think you can expect those to be changed - particularly if there was an organized adversary out there that might be listening. BTW, our forces practice this (did it myself).

Perhaps some RL pilots that flew in the sandbox will chime in here.

• 2 weeks later...

Finally found out via some RW friends. Basically it's the op creators preference, or random word generation.

11 years with the DoD and I've never seen a classification marking specifically on a call-sign so I don't that that was the reason. :)

Thanks for the responses guys.

VFA-25 Fist of the Fleet

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Virtual Carrier Strike Group One | Discord

Is there some kind of document or list that shows which aircraft / helicopter uses which type of fuel? In the warehose you can restrict different fuel types.

typically...

tanks and trucks would use diesel

WW2 fighters would use 100-150 octane benzine

and all airplanes and helicopters with jet engines use Jet A / Jet A-1 / JP-4 / JP-5 / JP-8 kerosene

hope this helps

Edited by ViFF

IAF.ViFF

http://www.preflight.us

Israel's Combat Flight Sim Community Website

More or less.. I have a russian FARP that Blue can take over. While under russian control Ka-50 and Mi-28 are stationed there. The question is, should Mi-8 (probably yes) or UH-1H and Gazelles be able to refuel there, or do these use an other type of fuel?

"Sieh nur, wie majestätisch du durch die Luft segelst. Wie ein Adler. Ein fetter Adler."

http://www.space-view.net

• 4 months later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 6 months later...

You have two call sign tracks the individual’s call sign which is given upon completion of training and/or at their duty station. Usually based on something about the individual.

And you have the flight callsign which is assigned to a unit they have several some reserved for the top echelon others that are daily call signs based on the mission aa,ag etc these usually get assigned to an aircrew but not always.

Personal call signs to many to name probably the same for the flight call signs since it must be unique to one crew per day in case of an accident there would be no problems of the wrong flight being identified as going down some are training use some are reel world use some are for transport flights some are for cross country flights so you could probably pull any noun of the dictionary and find it in use as flight call sign as long as it is distinct sounding over the air and consisting of one or two syllable sounds.

BlackeyCole 20years usaf

XP-11. Dcs 2.5OB

Acer predator laptop/ i7 7720, 2.4ghz, 32 gb ddr4 ram, 500gb ssd,1tb hdd,nvidia 1080 8gb vram

New FlightSim Blog at https://blackeysblog.wordpress.com. Go visit it and leave me feedback and or comments so I can make it better. A new post every Friday.

• 1 year later...

Not to Necro the thread, but are there any good manuals for strike missions? I.e. go blow up a bridge/building/whater in enemy defended territory.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

• 1 year later...

Hey guys, looking for some good templates for relatively generic kneeboard mission data cards. I'm primarily interested in a two-card format. Page one being unit/ flight plan data, and page two being for the comm plan.

Anyone have or know of some good resources on this? Thanks!

• 3 months later...
On 12/26/2013 at 10:03 PM, MBot said:

For curiosity and for references I have compiled the historical locations of all PVO (Air Defense Force) SAM sites at the end of the Cold War in the DCS Caucasus map area into a template. The majority of SAMs are still SA-2 which are not (yet) in DCS. I have substituted them with SA-3, so area coverage is a bit smaller. Total sites deployed in the region include: 25 SA-2, 12 SA-3 and 2 SA-10. In addition there were two SA-5 groups (each with two collocated Battalions), which I didn't include due to the lack of a suitable substitute.

Source: http://www.ww2.dk

From the same source I have also compiled the combat aviation units stationed in the region in the 1980s:

PVO Air Defense Forces

Krymsk

562 IAP - Yak-28P (-1987), Su-27 (1987-)

Gudauta

529 IAP - Su-15TM (-1987), Su-27 (1987-)

Marneuli

166 GvIAP - Su-15 (-1983), Su-15TM (1989-)

VVS Frontal Aviation

Senaki-Kolkhi

176 IAP - MiG-23M (-1985), MiG-29 (1985-)

Kobuleti

841 GvIAP/GvAPIB - MiG-23M

Kutaisi

143 BAP - Su-24M

Vaziani

982 IAP - MiG-23MLD

313 ORAP - MiG-21R (-1984), Su-17M3R (1984-)

Marneuli

166 GvAPIB - Su-17M3 (1983-1988 )

Maykop

709 UAP - MiG-21

Krasnodar Center

802 UAP - Su-22, Su-24, Su-25, Mi-8

DA Long Range Aviation

Mozdok

182 GvTBAP - Tu-95

Perhaps you can find it useful for mission building or just find it interesting from a historical point of view.

Screen_131226_211950.thumb.jpg.68ae7fccf7744a223cdfc5405f220f91.jpg

PVO_1989_SAM_Template.miz 13.53 kB · 259 downloads

I have updated the map with SA-2 sites on the one who was named SA-2

PVO_1989_SAM_Template_v.2.miz

• Like 1
  • Thanks 5

• 1 month later...

Wikimapia is an internet company that provides an open-content collaborative mapping project. The project implements an interactive "clickable" web map that utilizes google maps with a geographically-referenced wiki system, with the aim to mark and describe all geographical objects in the world.

I use it for showing military installations in Persian Gulf, Syria and Caucasus.

http://wikimapia.org/#lang=en&lat=26.941660&lon=56.315918&z=8&m=w&tag=516

Contains a lot of useless info (marks), but equally a lot of useful ones. Just have to sift trough'em.

Edited by Knock-Knock
  • Like 2

- Jack of many DCS modules, master of none.

- Personal wishlist: F-15A, F-4S Phantom II, JAS 39A Gripen, SAAB 35 Draken, F-104 Starfighter, Panavia Tornado IDS.

| Windows 11 | i5-12400 | 64Gb DDR4 | RTX 3080 | 2x M.2 | 27" 1440p | Rift CV1 | Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS | MFG Crosswind pedals |

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Now that GlobalSecurity.org has become a subscription service; here are the options I use for finding various U.S. publications and documents:

FAS - Military Analysis Network

FAS - US Army Table of Organization & Equipment

FAS - Intelligence and Security Doctrine Library

BITS - Joint Chiefs of Staff Publications Library

BITS - US Army Publications Library

APD - Army Publishing Directorate (Official source)

USA - Central Army Registry (Official source)

USN - Department of Navy Issuances (Official source)

USMC - Marine Corps Publications Electronic Library (Official source)

USAF - E-Publishing (Official source)

USAF - USAF Doctrine (Official source)

DOD - Directives Division (Official source)

JCS - Joint Electronic Library (Official source)

• Like 2

"I will now rip open heaven and earth, out."

• 3 weeks later...