Toggle switches to help VR pilots

Euan Emblin

Hello OctopusG

This is a request to include a few toggle switches especially for the complex undercarriage arrangement which I am loving getting to grips with. In VR I have to stick to my HOTAS and it would really assist people like me to have the gear lock and gear brake switches as a toggle on/off.

Thank you for your consideration.

- 'The Dog's Rollocks' - [sIGPIC][/sIGPIC] is a water cooled behemoth :

i9 9900K@5GHz/RTX 2080Ti/32 Gb 3600MHz RAM/M.2 NVMe onboard drives/System driving Pimax 5K Plus/TM Warthog/MFG Crosswind/Gametrix Jetseat

You may use the "landing gear next stage" control, it sets every lever in the correct position for every stage in the LG operation so you don't have to operate them manually or remember what the correct position should be in every stage, specially wearing VR.

S!

"I went into the British Army believing that if you want peace you must prepare for war. I believe now that if you prepare for war, you get war."

-- Major-General Frederick B. Maurice

Hello mate, yes I am well aware of that little aid that the developer included. Part of the satisfaction with this aircraft is the smooth application of the complex routine involved in undercarriage deployment and retrieval. I don't use any assists or aids with flight sims as I prefer to get as close to the numbers as I can.

That is why it would be a great boon for enthusiasts/nerds like myself to have the option of using toggle switches for each of the 4 functions involved. It's all about immersion when using VR.

- 'The Dog's Rollocks' - [sIGPIC][/sIGPIC] is a water cooled behemoth :

i9 9900K@5GHz/RTX 2080Ti/32 Gb 3600MHz RAM/M.2 NVMe onboard drives/System driving Pimax 5K Plus/TM Warthog/MFG Crosswind/Gametrix Jetseat

• 6 months later...

The following lever commands are already there:

1. Gear Brake Lever ON/RELEASE: These commands masquerade as "Gear brake spring ON" and "Gear brake spring OFF".

2. Emergency Gear Lock: masquerade as "Gear Lock OFF" and "Gear Lock ON"

3. Gear Handle (crank): Look for "Landing Gear Handle, Down" and "...UP".

The Gear Jaw Lever UP and DOWN commands are missing. I created them by adding these 2 lines to "default.lua":

{down = 3051, cockpit_device_id  = devices.GEAR_SYSTEM, value_down = -1, name = _('Gear Jaw Direction Lever DOWN'), category = _('Systems')},
{down = 3051, cockpit_device_id  = devices.GEAR_SYSTEM, value_down = 1, name = _('Gear Jaw Direction Lever UP'), category = _('Systems')},

Test: I took OFF, switched Gear Lock and Gear Brake OFF, moved the Gear Jaw Lever UP and started to crank up. This all looked fine, but when the gear was about halfway retracted, the crank would stop and could not be turned any more. I tried this several times, making sure the take-off was smooth and speed not above 200 km/h, always with the same result.

In that blocked situation, when I used the "Gear next stage" command I could crank the gear up all the way.

So the gear mechanism is apparently bugged, and maybe that's why they created that "next stage" command.

LeCuvier

Windows 10 Pro 64Bit | i7-4790 CPU |16 GB RAM|SSD System Disk|SSD Gaming Disk| MSI GTX-1080 Gaming 8 GB| Acer XB270HU | TM Warthog HOTAS | VKB Gladiator Pro | MongoosT-50 | MFG Crosswind Pedals | TrackIR 5

• 5 months later...
mixtures radiator cannot be on axis ???

Are you saying that you would like to have axis bindings for radiator flaps and mixture?

If you are willing to add two lines of code to the "default.lua" you can have them.

Edited by LeCuvier

LeCuvier

Windows 10 Pro 64Bit | i7-4790 CPU |16 GB RAM|SSD System Disk|SSD Gaming Disk| MSI GTX-1080 Gaming 8 GB| Acer XB270HU | TM Warthog HOTAS | VKB Gladiator Pro | MongoosT-50 | MFG Crosswind Pedals | TrackIR 5

Yea plz adding code

yes exactly like in the cockpit easier to find axis then key on VR :) Radiators and mix or prop pitch on Quadrant

Add these 2 lines of code in the axis section of your "default.lua":

{action = 3044, cockpit_device_id  = devices.MOTOR_SYSTEM, name = _('Mixture Setting Axis')},
{action = 3048, cockpit_device_id  = devices.MOTOR_SYSTEM, name = _('Oil Radiator Flaps Axis')},

The lines must be added near the end of the lile; after these lines:

-- joystick axes 
join(res.axisCommands,{

but before these lines:

})

return res

Use the free Notepad++ for editing!

PS: these axis commands use only half of the slider movement. There is nothing I can do about that. If it bothers you you can set curves.

LeCuvier

Ok Ok so!!! It work like a dream what a difference to have axis working perfectly !! this should be added from start. ok Thank you so much!! I know now so I added as well the cooling flaps.. Superbe !!!!

{action = 3044, cockpit_device_id = devices.MOTOR_SYSTEM, name = _('Mixture Setting Axis')},

{action = 3048, cockpit_device_id = devices.MOTOR_SYSTEM, name = _('Oil Radiator Flaps Axis')},

{action = 3006, cockpit_device_id = devices.MOTOR_SYSTEM, name = _('Motor cooling flaps Axis')},

Fly it like you stole it..