Why Christen Eagle II?

Dolphin887

Just gotta love the sense of entitlement round here.

What a farce.

They've developed a civilian aerobatics plane!?!?! How dare they!!!

Seriously, some people need to get out more.

Not entitlement for some of us, just confusion on the point of this in a Combat Simulator. Especially when there is so many civilian aerobatic simulations for civilian simulations.

And I am supportive of this being in DCS

The point was that Magnitude 3 LLC were asked to create it, for reasons other than the mainstream market that is DCS World. They simply entered into a contract to develop it, and we get the benefit of it here too.

Why is this such an issue? Don't want it? Great! Just don't buy it! Why do you have to keep moaning about it?

The point was that Magnitude 3 LLC were asked to create it, for reasons other than the mainstream market that is DCS World. They simply entered into a contract to develop it, and we get the benefit of it here too.

Where did they say it was contracted?

Yak-52 is a professional project offshoot, but that's the first time I hear that about CE2.

Hardware: VPForce Rhino, FSSB R3 Ultra, Virpil T-50CM, Hotas Warthog, Winwing F15EX, Slaw Rudder, GVL224 Trio Throttle, Thrustmaster MFDs, Saitek Trim wheel, Trackir 5, Quest Pro

Where did they say it was contracted?

Yak-52 is a professional project offshoot, but that's the first time I hear that about CE2.

I don't remember M3 saying that... I know the yak is that case as they told as soon as they anounced it, but not the CE2

We were not asked to create it. We presented the project during the split, to Mr Grey and Dr Tishin. They expressed their enthusiasm over it during a video conference. A few weeks later a contract was signed. Wayyyy before the Yak-52 announcement.

• Like 1

https://magnitude-3.com/

https://www.facebook.com/magnitude3llc

https://www.youtube.com/@magnitude_3

i9 13900K, 128GB RAM, RTX 4090, Win10Pro, 2 x 2TB SSD

i9 10980XE, 128GB RAM, RTX 3090Ti, Win10 Pro, 2 x 256GB SSD, 4 x 512GB SSD RAID 0, 6 x 4TB HDD RAID 6, 9361-8i RAID Controller

i7 4960X, 64GB RAM, GTX Titan X Black, Win10 Pro, 512GB PCIe SSD, 2 x 256GB SSD

Except of course the Christen Eagle II was developed not only with DCS World in mind, but is probably bringing in much needed resources to allow the other airframes to be developed. Buying it will just increase the resources available to the developers which equals more development time available which equals more modules available sooner.

Do try to keep up, and while you're at it, try to see the bigger picture here.

I have read their previous posts on their reasons for developing it, and I understand their reasoning, even if I don't agree with them.

I also understand that I failed at trying not to sound like a whining toddler, and that is entirely my fault. I'm simply blowing off steam, while trying to keep it as much of a controlled burn as possible. My apologies for any collateral damage in the explosion.

As someone above stated, I'm one of many who are simply confused by the choice. I have no doubt the Eagle is a great aircraft, and I have the utmost confidence that Magnitude will bring the highest standard to this particular aircraft.

I simply believe that a purely civilian airplane has little-to-no place in a combat simulator.

I won't be buying it, but I also hold no animosity nor want to insult anyone who will buy it.

Again, my apologies for being a whining toddler. I just needed to vent.

Me personally... I can't wait to try it.

Outside of the fact that (if I remember correctly) they were trying to figure out oddities with piston driven engine/aircraft/prop physics and used it as a test bed. It will be the first aerobatic aircraft that probably handles closer to the real thing than any before it in any other sim. That right there is a darn good reason to do it.

Then of course you include the fact that aerobatics are popular in MP servers. And well.. win/win/win.

Edited by aileron

Don’t apologise for something you believe in. You’ve done nothing wrong. Or for venting off steam. They simply built the aircraft as an engine test model IIRC to use in future aircraft whether or not they are warbirds etc. So if the engine model comes with a CE2 attached, who cares? The fact is a lot of other folk will like it and because it will speed up dev time for future aircraft because it was a test machine. And it’s another way to bring in revenue. I don’t see why it should be an issue.

The way I see it is if DCS is better than all it’s competitors because if it’s ability to produce much better quality flight models and dynamics etc then why shouldn’t it sway people his way - combat or not?

Not something I’ll buy myself I don’t think either by the way.

MSI M5 z270 | Intel i5 7600k (OC) 4.8GHz | MSI GTX1080ti Gaming X 11Gb | 500gb Samsung 970 Evo NVME M.2 (DCS World) | 500gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD (OS and Apps) | 32Gb 2400MHz DDR4 - Crucial Ballistix | Be Quiet Silent Loop 240mm | NZXT H440 case |

Thrustmaster Warthog - 47608 with Virpil Mongoose joystick base | MFG Crosswinds - 1241 | Westland Lynx collective with Bodnar X board | Pilot's seat from ZH832 Merlin | JetSeat | Oculus Rift S | Windows 10 | VA |

Pleeeeeeeze keep working on it. I'll buy it!!!!!! I don't care if it doesn't have guns, bombs, or rotors: I just want to fly an accurate flight modelled Christen Eagle.

The Hornet is best at killing things on the ground. Now, if we could just get a GAU-8 in the nose next to the AN/APG-65, a titanium tub around the pilot, and a couple of J-58 engines in the tail...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

Personally, I encourage people to be open minded about what's going on here. I'm not trying to speak FOR the devs, and am not a part of their team, but just offering my perspective on this.

These guys chose a project that they felt confident they could complete that could provide a baseline for future prop plane projects. (i.e. wwII warbirds)

I'll probably be picking it up in the future as a show of support, expecting to fully enjoy it, even if it gets limited use. I want a taste of what these guys are bringing to the plate. And this should give us an idea of what to expect from flight and engine modeling in the future, when they step up to tackle bigger projects.

I have a hunch, that this aircraft is going to be on point regarding flight characteristics and other aspects of modeling.

Perhaps prop planes will be this 3rd party developers new niche and DCS WWII's future will become brighter for it.

Familiar the faces may be, this is a new development team offering their first entry into the DCS platform. I applaud working from the ground up like this. Creating a solid baseline that could aid future development. Showing us you have the basics covered. My experiences with this aircraft will give me a taste of what they can do, and hopefully instill confidence in future releases. I could throw $30 at supporting that. Looks like a fun flight anyway. And just imagine the sale prices in the future.

edit* (I thought I posted this in another thread but it still fits )

Edited by Headwarp
Spoiler

Win 11 Pro, z790 i9 13900k, RTX 4090 , 64GB DDR 6400GB, OS and DCS are on separate pci-e 4.0 drives 

Sim hardware - VKB MCG Ultimate with 200mm extension, Virpil T-50CM3 Dual throttles.   Blackhog B-explorer (A), TM Cougar MFD's (two), MFG Crosswinds with dampener.   Obutto R3volution gaming pit.  

Personally, I encourage people to be open minded about what's going on here. I'm not trying to speak FOR the devs, and am not a part of their team, but just offering my perspective on this.

These guys chose a project that they felt confident they could complete that could provide a baseline for future prop plane projects. (i.e. wwII warbirds)

I'll probably be picking it up in the future as a show of support, expecting to fully enjoy it, even if it gets limited use. I want a taste of what these guys are bringing to the plate. And this should give us an idea of what to expect from flight and engine modeling in the future, when they step up to tackle bigger projects.

I have a hunch, that this aircraft is going to be on point regarding flight characteristics and other aspects of modeling.

Perhaps prop planes will be this 3rd party developers new niche and DCS WWII's future will become brighter for it.

Familiar the faces may be, this is a new development team offering their first entry into the DCS platform. I applaud working from the ground up like this. Creating a solid baseline that could aid future development. Showing us you have the basics covered. My experiences with this aircraft will give me a taste of what they can do, and hopefully instill confidence in future releases. I could throw $30 at supporting that. Looks like a fun flight anyway. And just imagine the sale prices in the future.

edit* (I thought I posted this in another thread but it still fits )

my guess is that its to simulate aerodynamic affects to a greater scale as well as to further simulate manauvers that cannot be performed in most aircraft we currently have.

Therefore i would think it is to test and developed inverted flight systems, inverted flying manauvers, advanced aerobatic work etc. I am very tempted to pick this up to fly along side the tomcat as i love tailwheel aircraft.

Personally speaking, it has wings and it's in DCSW - I'm on board!:joystick::pilotfly::thumbup:

All modules: past, present and future!:pilotfly::joystick:

i7-7700 @ 3.6GHz | 32GB RAM | Gigabyte RTX 2070 Gaming OC 8G | TM Warthog (slew mod) | TM pedals | Oculus Rift S

... expecting to fully enjoy it, even if it gets limited use.

Are you crazy? "LIMITED"?

Be it known that I will be flying this little biplane every day until the rivets pop out from old age.

I think it was last year when the discussion began about including the Christen Eagle in DCS. I almost choked on my own spit trying to get a post in saying, YES, YES, YES!

The Hornet is best at killing things on the ground. Now, if we could just get a GAU-8 in the nose next to the AN/APG-65, a titanium tub around the pilot, and a couple of J-58 engines in the tail...

Me too! Really looking forward to it.

"We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the day and night to visit violence on those who would do us harm".

---------------------------------------------------------

Intel i-9 9900k @ 5.0 Ghz, EVGA 2080tiFTW3 11Gb, Corsair H115 PRO water cooler, Gigabyte AorusMaster motherboard, EVGA Super Nova 1000 watt G+ powersupply, G.SKILL 64Gb ram @3800 MHz, HP EX 920 M.2 PCIe 3TB,Windows 10Pro x64

Are you crazy? "LIMITED"?

Be it known that I will be flying this little biplane every day until the rivets pop out from old age.

I think it was last year when the discussion began about including the Christen Eagle in DCS. I almost choked on my own spit trying to get a post in saying, YES, YES, YES!

Lol, I do mainly DCS for the modern combat aircraft.. so yeah. Limited use. That being said, I'll get my 30 bucks out of it.

Spoiler

Win 11 Pro, z790 i9 13900k, RTX 4090 , 64GB DDR 6400GB, OS and DCS are on separate pci-e 4.0 drives 

Sim hardware - VKB MCG Ultimate with 200mm extension, Virpil T-50CM3 Dual throttles.   Blackhog B-explorer (A), TM Cougar MFD's (two), MFG Crosswinds with dampener.   Obutto R3volution gaming pit.  

I'm really excited about this one!

And it's $23! I can't even warm up it's big brother Pitts for that price!

Fine looking passenger you’ve got there EcoDragon! Mine in a single-hole so no such opportunities.

EDIT: Single-hole—as in the plane, not the girl.

Edited by Smokin Hole

You gotta install the secret button

https://magnitude-3.com/

https://www.facebook.com/magnitude3llc

https://www.youtube.com/@magnitude_3

i9 13900K, 128GB RAM, RTX 4090, Win10Pro, 2 x 2TB SSD

i9 10980XE, 128GB RAM, RTX 3090Ti, Win10 Pro, 2 x 256GB SSD, 4 x 512GB SSD RAID 0, 6 x 4TB HDD RAID 6, 9361-8i RAID Controller

i7 4960X, 64GB RAM, GTX Titan X Black, Win10 Pro, 512GB PCIe SSD, 2 x 256GB SSD