New in-cockpit map for proper WWII navigation

I think new page(s) for kneeboard with scrollable map (or maps for different scales) is a good solution.

Should looks like this but with different borders.

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=113295

Yeah, the map in this example is much better for navigation than the kneeboard map in DCS!

muahaha, kneeboard maps only and get rid of ctrl-k.

renske.gif

Is that the "mark own position on kneeboard"-command? If so, then yes! It's a cheat function that can't even be disable on multiplayer servers (really annoying if you want a server with the own aircraft position disabled on the F-10 map).

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

muahaha, kneeboard maps only and get rid of ctrl-k.

:renske:

I'm torn on this. On one hand as a new player this would've been awesome.

But now as a seasoned DCS'er and player on MP, I really like the historical accuracy of the kneeboard map. It forces you to raise your skills by learning the terrain, learning the nav aides in your aircraft, and in general, flying smarter.

I suppose a compromise solution is best. That being said, it doesn't seem smart for ED to try to accommodate the casual arcade player all that much. As its been pointed out, War Thunder and Aces High have captured that market. ED's brand and niche is the hardcore enthusiast. Trying to lure WH and AH players who enjoy the arcade airquake seems a bit naive although I too would love their dollars thrown into our community.

-SLACK

Kneeboard map on IL-2 Sturmovik WWII era movie (no "magnifying glass" in pilot hands): :D

il2_MAP.jpgimg

RAF navigation training film - WWII era navigation require planing. ;)

Maps in video looks the ones in CloD.

No map on kneeboard that I can see in this film, unless I missed it, as he is flying a pre-planned route from his route planner on the kneeboard. However, if he was to go off course, gets lost, or have to deviate from route to hide from bandits or avoid sudden bad weather, he would need to go to his map box and pull out the map to study it and work out a new navigation course on the fly.

To zoom in a little bit on a map would simulated holding the map nearer to closely study small details, so no need to simulate magnifying glass, lol. Such a slight zoom in would be in keeping with the pilot view zoom function principles that we have in other areas with DCS.

Bell_UH-1 side.png

When you fly 3 sorties a day for the duration of the campaign, and you know that the sea is North of the battle zone, picking out a landmark wouldn't be a huge consideration.

+1

That's certainly my plan for dealing with navigation under the (VR) hood. Dead-reckoning, then use landmarks - like the nice rivers in the area. Once the area we're flying over is finalised I'll get a (period) map of the same and study it to start to get a feel for it, and once we actually have a flyable map we (unlike our historical peers) have the option of taking a guns-off pootle about to learn the map.

Worst comes to the worst: fly north, find coast, fly west, find landing beaches. Found more coast? Fly east... find landing beaches. Land for tea and medals.:)

My *new* AV-8B sim-pit build thread:

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=3901589

The old Spitfire sim-pit build thread circa '16/17:

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=143452

I think new page(s) for kneeboard with scrollable map (or maps for different scales) is a good solution.

+100

This looks a great idea Racoon :thumbup:

System :-

i7-12700K 3.6 GHz 12 core, ASUS ROG Strix Z690-A Gaming, 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3200MHz, 24GB Asus ROG Strix Geforce RTX 3090, 1x 500GB Samsung 980 PRO M.2, 1x 2TB Samsung 980 PRO M.2, Corsair 1000W RMx Series Modular 80 Plus Gold PSU, Windows 10. VIRPIL VPC WarBRD Base with HOTAS Warthog Stick and Warthog Throttle, VIRPIL ACE Interceptor Pedals, VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus Base with a Hawk-60 Grip, HP Reverb G2.

That's more like it :)

Would there be a separate 'kneeboard', e.g. 'PocketMap', to avoid trawling through those kneeboard pages of airfield diagrams that would get in the way when trying to find the map page ('fold') that you need?

klem

56 RAF 'Firebirds'

ASUS ROG Strix Z390-F mobo, i7 8086A @ 5.0 GHz with Corsair H115i watercooling, Gigabyte 2080Ti GAMING OC 11Gb GPU , 32Gb DDR4 RAM, 500Gb and 256Gb SSD SATA III 6Gb/s + 2TB , Pimax 8k Plus VR, TM Warthog Throttle, TM F18 Grip on Virpil WarBRD base, Windows 10 Home 64bit

• ED Team
To zoom in a little bit on a map would simulated holding the map nearer to closely study small details, so no need to simulate magnifying glass, lol. Such a slight zoom in would be in keeping with the pilot view zoom function principles that we have in other areas with DCS.

You can zoom a map in two different ways:

- arcade style (F10) when objects become visible when you zooming in

- true stule - when you moving map close to your eyes - like this http://digitalarchive.mcmaster.ca/islandora/object/macrepo:8802

The second variant is Ok for me.

And of course you can't put your position on the map with some magic hot key.

- true stule - when you moving map close to your eyes - like this http://digitalarchive.mcmaster.ca/islandora/object/macrepo:8802

Definitely like the second choice especially with the mouse roller for zoom. I won't want 'my position' but for arcade play some might. The key thing is that it doesn't drag you out of the cockpit into a darkened room with a wall map-projector :)

klem

56 RAF 'Firebirds'

ASUS ROG Strix Z390-F mobo, i7 8086A @ 5.0 GHz with Corsair H115i watercooling, Gigabyte 2080Ti GAMING OC 11Gb GPU , 32Gb DDR4 RAM, 500Gb and 256Gb SSD SATA III 6Gb/s + 2TB , Pimax 8k Plus VR, TM Warthog Throttle, TM F18 Grip on Virpil WarBRD base, Windows 10 Home 64bit

You can in DCS. It would be great if this could removed as soon as possible (or at least allow servers to disable it).

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

Hi Racoon,

Big thank you for looking into this issue :thumbup:

With you on the case the Normandy map could end up being the best map ever and everyone will want to fly on it every day possible with a variety of aircraft models and a variety of challenges on offer for pilots :)

I must say that your general approach to this and your communication on these forums is starting to full me with confidence that I am likely to be growing into DCS WWII in a big way and that I can get more of my squad mates interested in DCS too :joystick:

Thank you again.

Happy landings,

Talisman

Bell_UH-1 side.png

I'd like to thank Talisman for drawing attention to the forthcoming in-cockpit WW2 maps. It looks like lots of good has come from it. Thank you.:thumbup:

P-51D | Fw 190D-9 | Bf 109K-4 | Spitfire Mk IX | P-47D | WW2 assets pack | F-86 | Mig-15 | Mig-21 | Mirage 2000C | A-10C II | F-5E | F-16 | F/A-18 | Ka-50 | Combined Arms | FC3 | Nevada | Normandy | Straight of Hormuz | Syria