Better low level AI flying/terrain following

WelshZeCorgi

My AI wingmen always fly into side of mountains and AI helicopters (particularly ones you have to follow in missions and campaigns) fly into terrain, pull up violently at the last second, then try flying into the mountain again, pulling up violently at the last second again, repeating this over and over again. 1) this makes formation flying dangerous. 2) a 30 minute flight ends up taking 2 hours. This makes helicopter missions and campaigns a boring nightmare to go through.

I have to agree that mainly the chopper AI needs some improvement on this matter

(Hopefully it'll be part of the long awaited for WIP AI improvements)

System specs:

i7-8700K @stock speed - GTX 1080TI @ stock speed - AsRock Extreme4 Z370 - 32GB DDR4 @3GHz- 500GB SSD - 2TB nvme - 650W PSU

HP Reverb G1 v2 - Saitek Pro pedals - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM F/A-18 Grip - TM Cougar HOTAS (NN-Dan mod) & (throttle standalone mod) - VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus with ALPHA-L grip - Pointctrl & aux banks <-- must have for VR users!! - Andre's SimShaker Jetpad - Fully adjustable DIY playseat - VA+VAICOM

~ That nuke might not have been the best of ideas, Sir... the enemy is furious ~ GUMMBAH

It's common to lose more allied aircrafts due to mountains than to enemy fire... usually i solve this by making allied flights immortal... otherwise I would lose half of them across the caucasus. Fuel management is the next major problem.... if allied aircrafts won't crash into a mountain, they will still eject while attempting to land (in the usual 3/4 allignment attempts) as they will have finished their fuel. This is just a humorous statement of course, the game itself is the best in its class and i am glad it exists, I just hope it will continue to get better, thanks ED

Edited by stefasaki
Typo

Failure is not an option ~ NASA

The fuel consumption problem was that AI has SFM and then when they fly in formation that will consume more fuel than player. And so on and up empty long before player does.

The fix for that would be that when in formation the AI aircraft fuel flow would be set to same as human pilot. So they would at least be in sync for most of the time.

As the AI will follow humans very accurately, it would not be cheating at all.

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

The fuel consumption problem was that AI has SFM and then when they fly in formation that will consume more fuel than player. And so on and up empty long before player does.

The fix for that would be that when in formation the AI aircraft fuel flow would be set to same as human pilot. So they would at least be in sync for most of the time.

As the AI will follow humans very accurately, it would not be cheating at all.

The reality is that IRL, human wingmen use more gas than the flight lead. Almost always. Especially inexperienced ones. It's just the nature of formation flying.

The flight lead can set a power setting and not touch the throttle while the wingman is making constant adjustments to stay in position. What makes a good flight lead is the ability to manage the flight's fuel to accomplish the mission without Bingo'ing out early. Frequent fuel checks is the key to see if trends are developing.

From my observation - The primary thing that makes AI wingmen in DCS run out of fuel WAAAY earlier than the human player flight lead is because the AI wingmen do not fly formation correctly and especially don't turn correctly in line abreast formation - which is the normal tactical formation for most situations, whether it be low level or A/A CAP. AI wingmen in DCS don't do "TAC turns" and therefore waste a huge amount of fuel, usually in AB, chasing lead around to get back into formation. If DCS could model Tac turns correctly, AI wingmen would likely have at least 50% more fuel by the time they call bingo.

System HW: i9-9900K @5ghz, MSI 11GB RTX-2080-Ti Trio, G-Skill 32GB RAM, Reverb HMD, Steam VR, TM Warthog Hotas Stick & Throttle, TM F/A-18 Stick grip add-on, TM TFRP pedals. SW: 2.5.6 OB

• 4 months later...