Flight

Caramon6561

What set-up are you using?

Also, in general aircraft will never really fly straight and level, not without an autopilot, it's very much hands pretty much constantly.

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

Welcome to the forums !

What aircraft ?

Do you have a deadzone set ?

Trim is very sensitive in DCS . 1 click often overshoots what you want . I find that fine-tuning throttle position after a trim change helps .

Autopilot (when available) is your friend .

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

If it’s happening with all your aircraft, check your roll axis in settings. It may be that your joystick axis is not centring.

MSI M5 z270 | Intel i5 7600k (OC) 4.8GHz | MSI GTX1080ti Gaming X 11Gb | 500gb Samsung 970 Evo NVME M.2 (DCS World) | 500gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD (OS and Apps) | 32Gb 2400MHz DDR4 - Crucial Ballistix | Be Quiet Silent Loop 240mm | NZXT H440 case |

Thrustmaster Warthog - 47608 with Virpil Mongoose joystick base | MFG Crosswinds - 1241 | Westland Lynx collective with Bodnar X board | Pilot's seat from ZH832 Merlin | JetSeat | Oculus Rift S | Windows 10 | VA |

Trim is very sensitive in DCS . 1 click often overshoots what you want . I find that fine-tuning throttle position after a trim change helps .

Yes, usually any change to altitude or speed will generally require a trim change.

I found that having my trim set to mini-stick acting as an 8-way hat helped me make smaller adjustments to trim (despite not using an analogue input). But obviously this set-up dependent.

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

Yes, usually any change to altitude or speed will generally require a trim change.

I found that having my trim set to mini-stick acting as an 8-way hat helped me make smaller adjustments to trim (despite not using an analogue input). But obviously this set-up dependent.

Correct , but not what i am saying . I am saying that one can compensate for trim overshoot by a fine throttle adjustment AFTER a trim change .

If you trim nose high , for example , you can back off the throttle a bit , bringing the nose down . This is because for a given trim state , the aircraft will always seek a fixed corresponding speed . I am referring to non-FBW aircraft in this example .

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

What set-up are you using?

Also, in general aircraft will never really fly straight and level, not without an autopilot, it's very much hands pretty much constantly.

I am useing a Thrustmaster T1600 setup HOTAS and rudder peddles. I am Flying FA-18, I understand that it is always hands on but you should be able to set the trim to eleviate large inputs. when i start flying i get a constent nose up when i try to trim nose down i get no response, I see the contols panel on bottom left and it shows no trim input at all. i can see the control moving but not the trim control moving. I have set the bindings up and i have a dead zone of 5 and a curve of 35.

I am useing a Thrustmaster T1600 setup HOTAS and rudder peddles. I am Flying FA-18, I understand that it is always hands on but you should be able to set the trim to eleviate large inputs. when i start flying i get a constent nose up when i try to trim nose down i get no response, I see the contols panel on bottom left and it shows no trim input at all. i can see the control moving but not the trim control moving. I have set the bindings up and i have a dead zone of 5 and a curve of 35.

The Hornet trims to g , not attitude , in flight , and that very slowly . It only trims to attitude in landing configuration . The problem you describe is experienced by those taking off with flaps "auto" , rather than 1/2 , as they should be .

The Hornet trims to g , not attitude , in flight , and that very slowly . It only trims to attitude in landing configuration . The problem you describe is experienced by those taking off with flaps "auto" , rather than 1/2 , as they should be .

Actually I am in Free Flight mode but i noticed that when the sim statrs the throttles are in afterburner when i bring them back and fly at about 260 it is much easier to maintain level flight.

I am watching youtube to learn how to fly this thing and i came across one for Auto pilot. when i select auto pilot and BSEL mode the aircraft will not maintane altatude? in the HSEL mode it will change headings. is there something in the settings that needs to be set for these to work??

Actually I am in Free Flight mode but i noticed that when the sim statrs the throttles are in afterburner when i bring them back and fly at about 260 it is much easier to maintain level flight.

I am watching youtube to learn how to fly this thing and i came across one for Auto pilot. when i select auto pilot and BSEL mode the aircraft will not maintane altatude? in the HSEL mode it will change headings. is there something in the settings that needs to be set for these to work??

No need to trim the F/A-18 unless you become asymmetrical.

I.E. You drop one bomb from only one wing and you are not symmetrical on each side.

The only other time to trim is when landing and trimming to on speed.

It takes a bit to get used to, but you point the plane to where you want it to go and that's it. When I first started flying the F/A-18 I started to try and trim it like flying the A-10C lol. These no need, just make sure to set a small dead zone so your stick is not messing with it and make sure the are no extra binds added in the control menu.

i7-7700K OC @ 5Ghz | ASUS IX Hero MB | ASUS GTX 1080 Ti STRIX | 32GB Corsair 3000Mhz | Corsair H100i V2 Radiator | Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVMe 500G SSD | Samsung 850 EVO 500G SSD | Corsair HX850i Platinum 850W | Oculus Rift | ASUS PG278Q 27-inch, 2560 x 1440, G-SYNC, 144Hz, 1ms | VKB Gunfighter Pro

Chuck's DCS Tutorial Library

Download PDF Tutorial guides to help get up to speed with aircraft quickly and also great for taking a good look at the aircraft available for DCS before purchasing. Link

Looks like you have some axis binded to "pitch" except the 16000 stick.

In example your throttle axis - so when you increase the throttle you pitching up your nose and add power at the same time.

Go to settings -> controls -> F/A-18 Sim -> axis commands and verify you have nothing else binded to "pitch" except for the stick Y axis.

Game automatically bind different devices, it's a very common problem for new players. You call also check other axes; roll, rudder, throttle.

Every axis should have only one device binded.

Edited by bies

HI Eveyone,

I am haveing a hard time getting my aircraft to fly straight and level, i tried to use the trims but they dont seam to be working for me any suggestions??

If you're going to ask a question like that, you'll have to give us a LOT more information.

Don't leave everyone guessing and taking shots in the dark.

What plane?

What flight controls?

Checked your stick deadbands for proper centering?

Checked and assigned trim control for proper functioning?

That sort of thing.

Only Fly-By-Wire jets can be flown straight and level with your hands off the stick. Everything else requires careful trimming (with a trim control that works!) and a flight stick that centers properly. WW2 aircraft are pretty much hands-on all the time, too.

AD

Kit:

B550 Aorus Elite AX V2, Ryzen 7 5800X w/ Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE, 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury DDR4 @3600MHz C16, Gigabyte RTX 3070 Windforce 8GB, EVGA SuperNova 750 G2 PSU, HP Omen 32" 2560x1440, Thrustmaster Cougar HOTAS fitted with Leo Bodnar's BU0836A controller.

--Flying is the art of throwing yourself at the ground, and having all the rules and regulations get in the way!

If man was meant to fly, he would have been born with a lot more money!