Creating Waypoints with TPOD

USAF-Falcon87

The Mark function should only ever take your aircraft’s current position (used for marking a target via overflight of the location or for downed aircrew/SAR operations).

Like Swift mentioned... When they get around to it, the coordinates being listed on the FLIR page and typing them into an open waypoint on the HSI display will be the only way to go about this from a realism standpoint.

The Mark function should only ever take your aircraft’s current position (used for marking a target via overflight of the location or for downed aircrew/SAR operations).

Like Swift mentioned... When they get around to it, the coordinates being listed on the FLIR page and typing them into an open waypoint on the HSI display will be the only way to go about this from a realism standpoint.

If you look in the NATOPS description of the HSI, it says markpoints are created at the A/G designation position if one exists, or overfly point if it doesn't.

Well what do you know, I can’t say I’ve ever read that page in NATOPS (says the same in the Rhino NATOPS too), then again, I can count on one hand the number of times I’ve ever made a MK in the Rhino... Thanks for the point out.

Fortunately there are other ways in the real jet to store designation data quickly if needed. But with none of those options for coord transfer modeled in DCS (mainly due to the software being simulated), being able to utilize MK this way in the sim would definitely be easier than hand-jamming coordinates manually from the FLIR readout once that feature itself gets implemented.

Well what do you know, I can’t say I’ve ever read that page in NATOPS (says the same in the Rhino NATOPS too), then again, I can count on one hand the number of times I’ve ever made a MK in the Rhino... Thanks for the point out.

Fortunately there are other ways in the real jet to store designation data quickly if needed. But with none of those options for coord transfer modeled in DCS (mainly due to the software being simulated), being able to utilize MK this way in the sim would definitely be easier than hand-jamming coordinates manually from the FLIR readout once that feature itself gets implemented.

On top of that throw in the HMD. It gives you ability to simply look at a point, designate and mark it and relay the coordinates in few seconds.

Indeed, it's one of those things that seem to be tucked away. I checked cause I had heard conflicting info. I assume markpoints used to be the old school way of doing it and have been replaced with more in depth functions.

• 2 weeks later...
The Mark function should only ever take your aircraft’s current position (used for marking a target via overflight of the location or for downed aircrew/SAR operations).[/Quote]

Ain't that the TOO function?

At least on harrier pressing it creates Markpoint on ground using radar altimeter on the position that was overflown.

Ain't it possible as well through EDHSI (TAD) like in A-10C? Create new Markpoint/waypoint and move it around map to wanted position etc?

That is something I really like in Ka-50 KABRIS that how easily pilot can create waypoints, designate targets and their types, find the enemy location by accuracy off one building over radio, quickly understand the area of interest etc. If just KABRIS would have a T-9 keyboard for alphabet input or talk with PVI-800 it would be nearly perfect system.

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

On top of that throw in the HMD. It gives you ability to simply look at a point, designate and mark it and relay the coordinates in few seconds.

The JHMCS can't create weapons grade targeting point. You are like with radar, you get it in the ball park as 300-100 meter area and then you use targeting pod to refine position, fly longer time to get accuracy higher and then create the designation.

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

I agree with Swiftwin9s post #6.

I feel attention to detail of all [available] aspects is why we choose to fly these sims and not FC3 type planes.

I personally would prefer to see less weapon variety if this would mean 100% fidelity of the ones available.

The JHMCS can't create weapons grade targeting point. You are like with radar, you get it in the ball park as 300-100 meter area and then you use targeting pod to refine position, fly longer time to get accuracy higher and then create the designation.

You can mark the "spot" very quickly while maneuvering so you or someone else can find it quickly when you whip your nose around. You can worry about "weapons grade" afterwards:smilewink: