F-16 HUD Skewed to the right

magmasta

As the title says, after takeoff, my hud becomes skewed to the right and it prevents me flying the plane properly. I am not sure if this is something that I did not do upon startup or something that is messed up due to my update to 2.5.6

Help is requested!

Attached is a track file of this event occurring and a screenshot

image0.jpg

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1nRFx8rZHIXNvdv50v5yZ2PMEuXY1dBfM/view?usp=sharing

[HVY]Mag

https://www.jointtaskforceheavy.org/

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Seems to me that you either haven't aligned your INS properly or you have very high crosswind. Does it change if you turn on the DRIFT C/O switch, in NAV mode?

The vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VFA-34.png

F/A-18C, F-15E, AV-8B, F-16C, JF-17, A-10C/CII, M-2000C, F-14, AH-64D, BS2, UH-1H, P-51D, Sptifire, FC3
-
i9-13900K, 64GB @6400MHz RAM, 4090 Strix OC, Samsung 990 Pro

Seems to me that you either haven't aligned your INS properly or you have very high crosswind. Does it change if you turn on the DRIFT C/O switch, in NAV mode?

I don't think its crosswind as it stays on the right no matter what direction I turn. It's possible that I did my INS wrong, but I started up no differently than I did before this began happening which was after the Update leading me to believe its a bug of some sort. Although it is possible that I am doing it wrong all of a sudden. Watch the track and see what I do. (Might be a bit long in the startup portion)

[HVY]Mag

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I don't think its crosswind as it stays on the right no matter what direction I turn. It's possible that I did my INS wrong, but I started up no differently than I did before this began happening which was after the Update leading me to believe its a bug of some sort. Although it is possible that I am doing it wrong all of a sudden. Watch the track and see what I do. (Might be a bit long in the startup portion)

I’m not near my computer to watch you track but are you confirming your lat/long/alt on the ICP using Enter on each section at the start of the alignment?

Proud owner of:

PointCTRL VR : Finger Trackers for VR -- Real Simulator : FSSB R3L Force Sensing Stick. -- Deltasim : Force Sensor WH Slew Upgrade -- Mach3Ti Ring : Real Flown Mach 3 SR-71 Titanium, made into an amazing ring.

My Fathers Aviation Memoirs: 50 Years of Flying Fun - From Hunter to Spitfire and back again.

Looks to me like that could be fixed with the drift C/O switch. *EDIT* Damn.... I just noticed that Harker wrote that too *EDIT*

Yeah the drift switch centers the pitch ladder, but it's still skewed unreasonably to the left for me. I confirmed and dobbered down through lat long and alt during strd heading alignment. There's no crosswind. It stays to the left no matter which way I'm facing.

Yeah the drift switch centers the pitch ladder, but it's still skewed unreasonably to the left for me. I confirmed and dobbered down through lat long and alt during strd heading alignment. There's no crosswind. It stays to the left no matter which way I'm facing.

So it’s a possible bug?

[HVY]Mag

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

So it’s a possible bug?

It's not happening to anybody else. Are you SURE that you are aligning properly?

Do a DCS Repair and remove all mods. Delete the FXO and Metashaders folder from your DCS saved games folder, Then try the following sequence.

After the jet has started, rearming is complete and all the systems are turned on, put the INS align knob into Normal align. Then use down on the ICP dobber to highlight each field (Lat,Long and ALT) and confirm each field in turn with the ENTR button on the ICP. This must be done in the first couple of mins of the alignment. Once the alignment gets to about 8 mins / 06 precision then put the INS knob to NAV. And go test.

Let us know how you get on.

Proud owner of:

PointCTRL VR : Finger Trackers for VR -- Real Simulator : FSSB R3L Force Sensing Stick. -- Deltasim : Force Sensor WH Slew Upgrade -- Mach3Ti Ring : Real Flown Mach 3 SR-71 Titanium, made into an amazing ring.

My Fathers Aviation Memoirs: 50 Years of Flying Fun - From Hunter to Spitfire and back again.

TL;DR, Bad INS alignment.

I just watched the track, I have several thoughts.

First, I'm jealous the F-16C gets a detailed INS simulation before the Hornet. Events such as this show that there are consequences to failing to align the INS, and that they're modeled in the sim. It's a nice feature, and I hope it comes to the bug soon. It doesn't appear to be quite as detailed as the famous "Delco CIV-A" INS for FS9/FSX.. but it's a very decent example.

Second, my guess was correct!....this was clearly a case of a bad alignment. Other forum posts, and Wag's has a YT video on how to properly align the INS. I know there are some changes as it gets developed, and some research will be needed to properly align it next time.

Third, while I want the INS simulation in the Hornet, it's nice to use the Viper guys as a test bed while the system is developed and refined :-)

magmasta,

I took this screenshot as you were lined up on the runway.. right before you applied MAX thrust. Compare the magnetic heading indications of your HSI (INS calculated) and Magnetic Compass (directly measured).

M7l4roP.png

Edited by randomTOTEN

You never confirmed the coordinates in your track.

I didn't inspect your mission to see if you had an alignment stored at mission start (mission editor option). You can't just set it to STOR HDG and expect it to work. It has to be set up in the mission.

I have never set up the stored heading feature in past missions and my alignment was fine. If it is an option that I missed, where can I find it, because I don't have 8 minutes to wait for my INS.

Edited by magmasta

[HVY]Mag

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I have been getting the skewed HUD with stored alignment even though I confirm the coordinates. So I'm now doing NORM full alignment and it works fine (assuming you confirm the coordinates).

For the alignment:

Turn all other systems on first, for example MFD, MIDS, GPS, etc.

Once everything else is ready, align the INS, there are two methods.

Easiest is STOR HDG, to align the INS with this method currently in Open Beta, simply place INS knob to STOR HDG, do nothing else. Keep track of time in the DED page, within .8 minutes to 1.00 you should see align steady in the HUD where you normally see the G meter. At 1.5 minute, the align in the HUD should flash. This means alignment is completed. Move INS knob to NAV without stopping at NORM. If you hesitate in Norm, you will restart the whole alignment again and cause problems.

The NORM alignment (which the modeled one, meaning the normal alignment used in real life) as before, ensure everything else is on, then turn INS knob to NORM. Withing 2 minutes of INS knob to NORM, re-enter latitude ( only 5 digits) and Longitude (6 digits only). Currently the is an error that does not allow you to change the altitude, but you can enter it anyway ( I do). The altitude will simply revert to the previous numbers.

If you do not know what your latitude, longitude or altitude are, you should see them in the F2 view.

Now, you need to wait for the INS to align. You know is done when the word "align" in the HUD flashes and "RDY" flashes in the DED. After, place INS knob in NAV mode.

This has been cover several times in a multitude of thread and many youtube videos. It is also covered in the early access manual, page 54 and 55.

I have never set up the stored heading feature in past missions and my alignment was fine. If it is an option that I missed, where can I find it, because I don't have 8 minutes to wait for my INS.

You do not need 8 minutes

To whom it may concern,

I am an idiot, unfortunately for the world, I have a internet connection and a fondness for beer....apologies for that.

Thank you for you patience.

Many people don't want the truth, they want constant reassurance that whatever misconception/fallacies they believe in are true..

It's nothing you have to enable. All F-16 spawns have the ability to stored heading alignment.

You can easily reproduce this problem by selecting stored heading alignment before you've given all the other avionics a chance to start up. To avoid this problem, flip all the switches on on the panel near the INS alignment knob, then wait a few seconds, THEN switch the knob to stored heading alignment.

In addition, you know you started too early if you get to 1.5/10 on the INS page on the DED and RDY is NOT flashing. Start the alignment over. If you don't, then the instant you take off, your pitch ladder and TVV goes to the right like this (at least on the cold and dark instant action mission)

If you get to 1.5/10 on the INS page and RDY IS flashing, then you know you did it right.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

INS aligment also get interrupted if you rearming and refueling. INS aligment should be the last thing you do after everything else in my experience. Its also good idea to set the parking brake on while at it.

Mastering others is strength. Mastering yourself is true power. - Lao Tze

I read the thread, and didn't see this, so if I missed it, I apologize.

1. For stored hdg alignment. You turn the switch to that and leave it there until you get to 10 and flashing rdy.

2. Switch slowly to nav. I say slowly, because I've seen if you click the switch fast, and do the next step, it can restart the alignment for some reason.

3. Switch back to norm, and let the alignment finish from 10 to 6.

4. Switch back to nav again, and you are all set.

Note, that when you do stored hdg align, you do NOT input your coords, per wags, this is by default right now that we assume our ground crew already "put" the coords in for you prior to the flight. He said something along those lines if I recall.

for NORM, you DO go and enter, and dobber down, enter, etc.. on the lat/long/alt on the INS page. You need to do that within the first couple minutes of the alignment.

Hope this helps.

Cheers!

Intel i7 8700K @ 4.8Ghz, Asus RoG Maximus X Formula, 32GB G.Skill Trident Z 3200, EVGA Geforce 2080 Super, 1TB Samsung Evo 970 M.2, 500GB Samsung Pro 860 SSD.

TM Warthog, Saitek Pro Rudder Pedals, Acer 23" x2, Oculus Rift S, FSSB3 Lighting

2. Switch slowly to nav. I say slowly, because I've seen if you click the switch fast, and do the next step, it can restart the alignment for some reason.

The flight manual makes specific mention not to hesitate in the NORM position when switching from STOR HDG to NAV, or the alignment will restart.

REAPER 51 | Tholozor
VFA-136 (c.2007): https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3305981/
Arleigh Burke Destroyer Pack (2020): https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3313752/

yes exactly. if I basically double-click on nav to get from stor hdg to nav, and then go back to align, I have seen it restart. but also, if I go to align, and then nav with a few second delay, it will also restart when going back to align. I was thinking on how to best explain it, but maybe I should edit it somehow.

I just know that if i go too fast, it restarts the alignment too.

Intel i7 8700K @ 4.8Ghz, Asus RoG Maximus X Formula, 32GB G.Skill Trident Z 3200, EVGA Geforce 2080 Super, 1TB Samsung Evo 970 M.2, 500GB Samsung Pro 860 SSD.

TM Warthog, Saitek Pro Rudder Pedals, Acer 23" x2, Oculus Rift S, FSSB3 Lighting

I read the thread, and didn't see this, so if I missed it, I apologize.

1. For stored hdg alignment. You turn the switch to that and leave it there until you get to 10 and flashing rdy.

3. Switch back to norm, and let the alignment finish from 10 to 6.

4. Switch back to nav again, and you are all set.

Note, that when you do stored hdg align, you do NOT input your coords, per wags, this is by default right now that we assume our ground crew already "put" the coords in for you prior to the flight. He said something along those lines if I recall.

for NORM, you DO go and enter, and dobber down, enter, etc.. on the lat/long/alt on the INS page. You need to do that within the first couple minutes of the alignment.

Hope this helps.

Cheers!

Never heard of a Stored Heading alignment into an Enhanced Interrupted Alignment. Don't even know if that is a thing in the real jet. Pretty sure it is not. Even if so then the EIA requires a change in heading of a certain number of degrees from the initial alignment heading which you didn't mention at all.