The Rookie Thread

Hi all,

I'm BR, 33, Rookie with a capital R, and I'm just getting into this sim as I finally have a rig that is somewhat capable of running it. Tbh, I had absolutely NO idea what I was getting into, and if I had known beforehand I'd probably have thought twice about purchasing. I enjoy gaming, but when it ventures into the area of so much academics I find the effort required to get the fullest experience is not met by what games can really provide. But as I watch videos of this on Youtube, I desperately wish to become proficient at it, as it's blatantly obvious it gives back as much as it takes to learn it. Now I knew it would be somewhat technical, sure, a few switches here and there, but not a damn PhD course. Granted I've only had it for about two days and am just beginning to familarize myself with the cockpit and switches, and have printed out the 400+ page manual, but even with this aid (which is by no means the "KA-50 for Dummies" edition) I am admittedly still very lost.

I honestly don't know if I'll be able to get the fullest out of this sim, it is incredibly intimidating and at this point I'm in way over my head. Don't even get me started on the ARMIS, radio, and navigation systems, they seem like courses in themselves. I can't even boot them up, and the explanations in the manual leave me more confused than anything else. I suppose I could fly casual but find the satisfaction that PC gaming affords comes through such in-depth endevours, and feel bypassing it would rob me of most of the enjoyment. I've never played a "game" where I've been unable to play until I've studied for days and days (maybe even weeks) before even booting it up. With that said, I have a few questions hopefully some of you can answer. I've looked on the boards for remedies and couldn't find any solutions, so I apologize if I am asking for what may have already been addressed. Some are probably very stupid and elementary I know, but so it goes:

1) How do I start out on the ground, everything off, so I can familarize myself with the cold-start procedure? Campaign starts me in a hover, the mission folder is empty, and training is simply videos downloaded. I suppose I could use the editor but have not even begun to give it consideration as I'd like to grasp the basics first. Is the missions folder supposed to be empty? Am I required to DL them from this site as I did for the training vids?

2) I cannot for the life of me assign the collective to my throttle. I'm using a Thrustmaster T.Flight HOTAS X. I go into the options and see that the game recognizes that the joystick's there, and everything else works (pitch, roll, yaw), but for some reason when I try to assign collective up or down it just won't recognize any input. Is there some special way of going about this? I tried assigning it to my hat switch, it acknowledged them however still didn't work in-game campaign, but I have a suspicion the engine RPM was not high enough or it's being caused by some other small tiny detail that I'm overlooking from inexperience. That may well be the case with the throttle as well, but it does not show the axis at all whereas with the buttons it shows them.

3) What's the best way to get familiar with start-up? As I understand it, there's a simple way (requiring no prep?), and a pro (requiring checklists, tests). I'm thinking of watching a youtube video and just following what they're doing, but there's really no explanation there. Is there a GUI printout with a list, showing what button should be pressed in what order?

:helpsmilie:Seriously. I so want to get good at this, but at this point it's seemingly impossible. Hopefully one day I'll be able to :pilotfly: Thanks for any and all advice and help.

• Like 1

Welcome to a new addiction BR! Take it slow and you are going to get MUCH enjoyment out of this sim - so much of it is really in conquering the learning curve.

It seems you are off to a good start with your desire to start cold. Many folks around these parts learned manual in hand with the cold start procedure to familiarize themselves with the panels in the pit. Its very important to feel comfortable in there to say the least.

To try and answer your questions:

1 keep to the basics indeed - the Mission editor (ME ) is a great resource to teach yourself to fly in so it may be worth the little effort to learn some rudimentaries of it. You can use the editor in the following way if you want: (forgive this is from memory)

- open editor and select "new mission" name it Ka50 training. choose russian for red and usa for blue. good start.

- use mouse wheel to zoom in on a russian airfield - i recommend Sochi. on the left side click on the helicopter button and left click on the sochi airfield to place the object there. On the right you will seen the details of the helicopter you just placed. choose "ka50". select "start from ramp" and set skill to "player"... save and hit the button on the left to fly the mission ( ithink the button is blue?)

The other thing you can do is go into a low pop multiplayer server and select a ka50 there. all MP servers i have ever been on have cold starts for the ka50s. the 159th server is usually public and has very few people in it - you should be able to find a black shark in there to practise on and not bother anyone.

the missions folder gets populated with missions you create or download.

2 you definately want your collective on an analog axis... i am confused on what you are describing - are you trying to map it in the button keymapper or the axis keymapper? you should see a tab along the bottom of keymapper that says "axis" click that and try to map it in there.

3. the BEST way to get familiar with everything is to follow the link in my sig to the ED wiki - there are great resources there to learn the bird. http://en.wiki.eagle.ru/wiki/Resources_for_New_Pilots

Oh... also never be afraid to ask questions in here - most folks are fantastic - some will inevitably answer with the "read the manual" BS but ignore them - if you ask sincerely I am sure others will be willing to point you in a good direction.

Have fun!

ASUS Tuf Gaming Pro x570 / AMD Ryzen 7 5800X @ 3.8 / XFX Radeon 6900 XT / 64 GB DDR4 3200 

"This was not in the Manual I did not read", cried the Noob" - BMBM, WWIIOL

The best advice I can give you is - take it slowly and one step in a time. You have to approach it as a learning course and not like a game. You'll get overwhelmed if you try to learn everything at once.

The best way to start is imho watching the leading edge training - http://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/downloads/video/leading_edge_training/?

It may see like a lot of work for a computer 'game', but the effort is very well worth it. Parking the Ka50 after bringing it back from a successful 2h mission is a feeling no other game can provide.

BlackRegiment, I cannot imagine you wouldn't benefit reading Rookie pilots - Quick Intro - sticky topic. If you haven't seen this before my only suggestion for now would be to focus more on sticky topics and FAQs.

Oh, and of course :smilewink:

kindrtfm_bucic.jpg

• Like 1

Sadly, I think I'm just about done with this game.

I'm trying to take this step by step, and am currently trying to learn to hover (and engage auto hover), but even this is proving incredibly difficult. I can manage to stay relatively in one place, but if I were trying to aquire a target it would not be nearly adequate. I know where the autopilot panel is, but do not know how each button relates to another. Wouldn't all of them on produce a stable hover (altitude, pitch, bank hold)? Why then don't I go into a stable hover when all are engaged? Do I have to get to a perfect hover before engaging autopilot? That's not humanly possible, I'll always be drifting slightly. Trimming only makes things worse. As I understand it, hitting the trim will recenter the stick relative to blade pitch, so for example if I'm moving foward and hit trim, I'll continue to move forward except won't have to push the cyclic forward. But for example, if I hit trim while in a hover with the horizen on the nose, it suddenly kicks it back and I flip and crash. Either that or throws the nose radically forward to the same outcome. :joystick: Everything seems to be very inconsistent and I can't get a grasp on one thing without another problem popping up for no apparent reason and messing up the works.

The manual is confusing me more than anything. It explains what everything does, but does not go step by step what I need to do to accomplish things, nor does it really indicate how each system interrelates with another. Youtube videos are of the most help, but even then they're very superficial explanations. Many of the problems I encounter in flight I need a checklist to try to remedy, and how do I do that when I don't even understand what's causing the problem in the first place? I don't even have the slightest clue on where to begin to look. I honestly don't know how anyone can really learn this without having hands on experience under tutelage. It's immensely confusing.

• Like 1

1. The manual does contain step-by-step instructions (check lists chapter, flight/ground school). The extended one. The fact that you don't know about this (and training videos and other useful training stuff) tells me that you haven't read the Rookie pilots - Quick Intro sticky topic nor much of other FAQ's out there. As Cheshire Cat would say - The manual is necessary, but not sufficient.
  2. When you post a track of the problematic part of your training you'll get assistance ASAP. Sometimes within hours*. Those who don't post tracks wait for assistance for days or weeks or don't get any assistance at all. After writing 50 posts...

*DCS Warthog has been released so much less people are on Black Shark. For the moment that is :)

Edited by Bucic

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

I've bought BS back in 2009 I believe but didn't have the time (and partly the effort) to get in the game. Now I do, my history of flight sims go back to the days of F19 Stealth Fighter, through Tornado (how I miss that game...) and a lot of others sims. Helicopter sims were always a favorite, Gunship and its successors all the way up to Jane's Longbow were played extensively but than Real Life catches up, work, marriage, kids, you know, the works.

So, back in the saddle of BS I find my knowlegde rusty but still there though I am missing information haha. I'm 34 atm and try to fly the BS with an X52 system with rudder pedals in realistic mode.

I'm still looking for a good button layout for the X52 and looking to get rid of the annoying quirk that is the toe-brake on the pedals which BS interprets as full left or right cyclic making the chopper do belly-rolls on the runway (and subequently destroying itself).

Also, I'm looking for a virtual squadron, preferably EU based to hoop-up and try multiplayer as I expect that's where the sim truly shines.

In the meantime, I've printed out the manual @ work, my boss won't be please to know I've hurt his colour printer with 260+ pages in full-colour but he, it's a lot cheaper than running to the printshop :). Also, I'm reading every bit of information I can find about the sim, tips and tricks, wiki and ofcourse the manual while trying the things learned out in the sim.

I'll keep training and training and training and hope to tame the shark and move on to the A10 in due time..

Regards,

Looney

• Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Commodore 64 | MOS6510 | VIC-II | SID6581 | DD 1541 | KCS Power Cartridge | 64Kb | 32Kb external | Arcade Turbo

BR -

Don't get hung up on hover. This may seem counterintuitive, but fly the helicopter around a bit. Slow flight is the hardest thing to master, and it's actually easier once you understand the responses and transitions the KA50 encounters throughout a typical flight profile.

Don't be scared of the systems; just get it started and fly about. Worry about the switchology later.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Welcome! :)

X52 layout

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=53213

toe-brake issue

Please start a new topic in the Input and output forum section.

virtual squadron

There's a squadron / multiplayer servers directory in the appropriate forum section.

I hope you printed the extended manual and not the outdated one :D

Hi all,

rid of the annoying quirk that is the toe-brake on the pedals which BS interprets as full left or right cyclic making the chopper do belly-rolls on the runway (and subequently destroying itself).

Looney

try hunting in the control setting and make sure they didn't translate to the assigned areas. DCS does this assigns all axis's to the game and you need to go through it and delete the ones that are doubled up.

• Like 1

" any failure you meet, is never a defeat; merely a set up for a greater come back, "  W Forbes

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal, it is the courage to continue that counts,"  Winston Churchill

" He who never changes his mind, never changes anything," 

MSI z690MPG DDR4 || i914900k|| ddr4-64gb PC3200 || MSI RTX 4070Ti|Game1300w|Win10x64| |turtle beach elite pro 5.1|| ViRpiL,T50cm2|| MFG Crosswinds|| VT50CM-plus rotor Throttle || G10 RGB EVGA Keyboard/MouseLogitech || PiMax Crystal VR || 32 Samsung||

Welcome! :)

X52 layout

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=53213

toe-brake issue

Please start a new topic in the Input and output forum section.

virtual squadron

There's a squadron / multiplayer servers directory in the appropriate forum section.

I hope you printed the extended manual and not the outdated one :D

Thanks, I'll give those files a go.

I've printed the one that is now downloadable in the manual section of the DCS site.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Commodore 64 | MOS6510 | VIC-II | SID6581 | DD 1541 | KCS Power Cartridge | 64Kb | 32Kb external | Arcade Turbo

Greetings to all on the forum. I must say that when I first fired up the Black Shark sim I was very impressed. The last time I saw something remotely as in depth was Jane's Lonbow. Nice work ED.

For some time I have struggled with trying to fly this sim using just a Microsoft Force Feeback II joystick. I have managed to get this bird off the ground, but am having a rough time dealing with trying to fly this beast and work the targeting system. I suspect it has something to do with not having a good HOTAS setup.

Well, I like the sim so much that I finally broke down and ordered the following.

Warthog HOTAS

Saiteck Combat Rudders

Track IR 5 with the LED clip.

Can't wait to get them in the next week or so. I think that is part of my problem with controlling the bird.

Edited by seldridge1960
  • Like 1

Birdstrike = Chicken Sandwich!

hey fellas. I'm having trouble rearming and refuelling while on the range mission. I got 17% complete and after I land I wait a while but nothing happens.. Is there a key to trigger rearm/refuel on the runway? do I have to be exactly on the ramp I took off from? What do I have to do in order to trigger the crew and the cockpit door to open up like I'm starting fresh?

And what about custom loadouts? I've created a loadout under my name in the mission editor but cant find it when I'm radioing maintenance. I read there is a file I have to adjust and it should appear but it fails me which or how. Advice indeed appreciated in both cases.

Also,

upon rearming back at base, it was getting dark and I dont know why I cant shoot the Vikhr.

take a look

2011-03-27_00002.jpg

those NAYA and TPEHAK words do they mean the designator is fried?

Edited by WildBillKelsoe

AWAITING ED NEW DAMAGE MODEL IMPLEMENTATION FOR WW2 BIRDS

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.

You have to contact ground crew via intercom (or shouting if engines are off and cockpit door open) and tell them to re-arm and re-fuel using comms. menu. Theres a switch in left panel that controls which radio you are currently transmitting, it has three positions, VHF2, VHF1, and intercom. Turn this to intercom and you can contact ground crew when landed on a farp or a friendly airbase. Only repair is made by waiting 3mins with engines off. When repairing it's handy to leave the door closed so when it opens you know repair is done. If you have no damage nothing will happen.

You can shoot Vikhr just fine during darkness but you can't lock targets with Shkval without artificial illumination. You need to have scripted illumination or bring your own illumination rockets or a buddy with them. Or you can just hover very steadily and point the Shkval to the target without locking it and it will stay on target as long as you don't move. Hover hold keeps the chopper in one place very well but the altitude hold is a little bit trickier and might need some babysitting.

If the designator is fried you will simply not get laser range as if the designator was turned off. There's no indication if it's working or malfunctioning. TPEHAX means targeting computer is in training mode and won't allow firing. NAY3A means laser cooling cycle is in process and it's inadvisable to use laser during the countdown. It doesn't really do anything but tell you to wait a little. If you have to you can still use laser.

• Like 1

DCS Finland: Suomalainen DCS yhteisö -- Finnish DCS community

--------------------------------------------------

SF Squadron

thats very nice of you. If you don't mind, but the same mission at night seems difficult. You said to bring my illumination rockets, but I dont know which loadout is that. Better yet, the KH-25ML is a one shot one kill for anything except the bunkers, which brings me to my question - is the Blackshark capable of carrying more than 2 KH-25 missiles? The TPEHAX I believe is turned off by the switch infront of the K-28 panel switch (which you activate on startup after ABRIS). But how long should I wait for this coolant to reactivate the rangefinder, and as you said, would the Nose wheel lights help the illumination if I'm close enough? What about the free fall bombs, they always miss and I turn on Autoturn while moving forward for release. Same happens :(. What does the ATGM temperature on the back panel do? Does it have impact on the warhead effectiveness in terms of lowering number of missile per tank?

Check out my track after enabling recovery and infinite ammo on.

http://www.mediafire.com/?2et93c2w8d02dc1

Edited by WildBillKelsoe

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.

-There's no coolant in the rangefinder, cooling cycle simply means you should wait for a while to let the laser cool down before using it again and there's a reminder in the HUD and a countdown to aid you do that.

-I haven't tried but would bet the nose wheel light has no impact on targeting as it's too weak to light up anything but near surroundings.

-ATGM temperature thing is not modeled and is therefore useless.

-You can't have more than 2 KH-25s.

-There's no aiming device for free fall bomb, you just have to use Force or something.

-Manual has answers to your questions. I tried to answer the ones that aren't covered in the manual or it's hard to find or understand the information given in the manual.

DCS Finland: Suomalainen DCS yhteisö -- Finnish DCS community

--------------------------------------------------

SF Squadron

Thanks but I just created a loadout of mixed KH-25ML, Vikhr, Illuminators 80M, and a freefall bomb. Problem is, when I select the outer pylon for the KH-25ML, I get the Vikhr, same for bomb I get the rocket launcher. Is this a bug or should I get rid of one first the other will come up? If so I cant since I'm playing with unlimited ammo so no way for Vikhr to run out. Any ideas and sorry for the extra headache.

Just completed the FAM mission in campaign. I wonder how it becomes difficult now :mad:

It isn't a bug. The fire control system can only handle one type of weapon per pylon pair.

Thanks but I just created a loadout of mixed KH-25ML, Vikhr, Illuminators 80M, and a freefall bomb. Problem is, when I select the outer pylon for the KH-25ML, I get the Vikhr, same for bomb I get the rocket launcher. Is this a bug or should I get rid of one first the other will come up? If so I cant since I'm playing with unlimited ammo so no way for Vikhr to run out. Any ideas and sorry for the extra headache.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

Just completed the FAM mission in campaign. I wonder how it becomes difficult now :mad:

Why don't you go ahead and watch some unedited, high quality campaign gameplay footage at YT? :)

http://www.youtube.com/user/Dvdlpt

I figure this is a classic rookie question... but, HOW THE HECK DO I USE MODMAN!!!! I have downloaded an addon from the VNAO site. in the readme is says to use modman version 7.2 or higher which i have. I put the files in the lomac_addons direcctory but when i run LOMAC it says it can't find the addons!!! help please

Thanks Bucic. But guys, how do I place my created loadout to the radio menus F1~F11? My first attempt at Georgian Oil War

see Clipped.trk in attachments.. :mad:

Now comes the difficult part, the wingman goes down without saying he's hit. :helpsmilie:

see AA.trk in AA.rar attachments :mad:X2

And its pure gunfire, so, my question in all of this, how to input NAV (PVI-800 panel) to a certain coordinate? I keep pressing Navtarget and WPT but cant input anything. Should I unload and delete current flight plan from Abris and create waypoints for PVI-800 to grasp?

PN says its in the editor but how is a puzzle for rookies like me.