FaceTrackNoIR Setup for DCS

Hey guys, I'm looking for an alternative to TrackIR, as it's quite expensive. I found FaceTrackNoIR, but I'm not sure how to set it up for DCS. I found two links on how to set up FTNoIR for DCS: A10C but it seems like they both give different instructions:

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php/686800-How-to-Setup-FaceTrackNoIR-for-DCS-A-10C-in-Win7-x64

http://wiki.hoggit.us/view/Configuring_FTNoIR_PointTracker

Not sure what to do right now :noexpression:

Can I get some help from people using FTNoIR?

I have used FTNoIR but... Opentrack is the best for me. https://github.com/opentrack/opentrack . Try it and enjoy

Edited by Falcon_S

Немој ништа силом, узми већи чекић!

MSI Tomahawk MAX | Ryzen 7 3700x | 32GB DDR4 3200MHz | RX 5700 XT OC Red Dragon 8GB | VPC Throttle CM3 + VPC Constellation ALPHA on VPC WarBRD Base | HP Reverb G2

Youtube Follow Me on TWITCH! 

The first link tells you how to configure ftnir when you use it with just a webcam, with the software trying to use your facial features to determine where are you looking at.

The second link, shows how to configure ftnir when you add a led clip to your headphones or hat, which provides a much more accurate and steady way to determine where your head is looking.

Both instructions are quite old, but they should still apply to the current version of ftnoir.

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

I have used FTNoIR but... Opentrack is the best for me. https://github.com/opentrack/opentrack . Try it and enjoy

Thanks I'll check it out.

The first link tells you how to configure ftnir when you use it with just a webcam, with the software trying to use your facial features to determine where are you looking at.

The second link, shows how to configure ftnir when you add a led clip to your headphones or hat, which provides a much more accurate and steady way to determine where your head is looking.

Both instructions are quite old, but they should still apply to the current version of ftnoir.

Thanks, that really cleared up the confusion that I had.

I have another question:

The first link tells me to "Download the ED API interface x64 dll package and extract the headtracker folder (with contents) into the game's "bin" directory."

This guide was for the A10C. Do I need to extract the headtracker folder into the bin directory of every aircraft I use, like the F15, MiG29, Su-25, and Su-27?

Edited by MRaza

In time when i use FTNoIR yes, we need to put that .dll in DCS/bin folder but i don`t know what situation is now about that.

But for Opentrack you don`t need that, just install and all work fine.

Just download from this link: https://github.com/opentrack/opentrack/releases

Install, i recommend to you chose Acela filter in settings, ... and other settings is easy to set for you. And run the app.

MSI Tomahawk MAX | Ryzen 7 3700x | 32GB DDR4 3200MHz | RX 5700 XT OC Red Dragon 8GB | VPC Throttle CM3 + VPC Constellation ALPHA on VPC WarBRD Base | HP Reverb G2

In time when i use FTNoIR yes, we need to put that .dll in DCS/bin folder but i don`t know what situation is now about that.

But for Opentrack you don`t need that, just install and all work fine.

Just download from this link: https://github.com/opentrack/opentrack/releases

Install, i recommend to you chose Acela filter in settings, ... and other settings is easy to set for you. And run the app.

Does Opentrack use LEDs? Or your face?

I'm pretty sure that you don't have to copy the files over anymore. It works fine for cheap, but I do notice other people's videos being more stable than what I see I'm looking at building an LED setup to try as it only costs a few dollars. Like you I'm trying to do it on the cheap! Even with its faults it's 1000% better than using. A joystick hat to try and look around

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Does Opentrack use LEDs? Or your face?

LED`s.

I`m not sure that you will be satisfied with Facetrack. That never work ok for me...

I have another question:

The first link tells me to "Download the ED API interface x64 dll package and extract the headtracker folder (with contents) into the game's "bin" directory."

This guide was for the A10C. Do I need to extract the headtracker folder into the bin directory of every aircraft I use, like the F15, MiG29, Su-25, and Su-27?

OK, that dll was needed on the old version of the FacetrackNoIR software ... the current one supports the FreeTrack 2.0 protocol, as shown in the picture below, which is natively supported by DCS ... so, no need to use that old DLL.

0011.gif

If you will use face recognition, be prepared for a not really satisfying experience ... I used it just for a few days and realized that it was not what I wanted ... then I changed to use a LED clip.

You can use a homebrew clip, but in my case my do-it-yourself abilities are very limited, so I opted to purchase a ready made clip form this supplier:

http://www.delanengineering.com/shop/#!/DelanClip-Starter/p/49740923/category=0

If you dont want to modify your webcam, the same site sells you a complete kit including a quality webcam:

http://www.delanengineering.com/shop/#!/DelanClip-Gamer/p/43397050/category=0

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

OK, that dll was needed on the old version of the FacetrackNoIR software ... the current one supports the FreeTrack 2.0 protocol, as shown in the picture below, which is natively supported by DCS ... so, no need to use that old DLL.

0011.gif

So how do I go about setting up FTNoIR if I dont need to use the DLL? Do I just install the latest version, set up my preferences, run DCS, and that's it?

What about the ".ini" setting for FTNoIr? Is it something that needs to be setup?

Yes, in fact if you will use the face recognition, will need to adjust the curves for a while until you get the best head movement, for me is enough with FTNoIR and the face recog option, but is not accurate as the LED option..

Yes, in fact if you will use the face recognition, will need to adjust the curves for a while until you get the best head movement, for me is enough with FTNoIR and the face recog option, but is not accurate as the LED option..

But I don't understand this whole profiles thing...Do I just create a profile with my preferences, run FTNoIR, and then run DCS?

So how do I go about setting up FTNoIR if I dont need to use the DLL? Do I just install the latest version, set up my preferences, run DCS, and that's it?

That is correct ... the headtracking will sow up in DCS just like a TrackIR device, like this:

facetrack_noir_dcs.jpg

:D

But I don't understand this whole profiles thing...Do I just create a profile with my preferences, run FTNoIR, and then run DCS?

If your only game is DCS, then you need just a single profile ... the profile is nothing more than a settings files where FaceTrackNoIr stores your viewing preferences.

Now, if you do like to play other games, you will need to save a different profile for each, since most likely the view settings will be different from those that you have for DCS ... for example I have a different profile for when I run EuroTruck Simulator :)

It'll show up automatically?

It will show up if you have the FacetRacknoIR software running before starting up DCS.

If your only game is DCS, then you need just a single profile ... the profile is nothing more than a settings files where FaceTrackNoIr stores your viewing preferences.

Now, if you do like to play other games, you will need to save a different profile for each, since most likely the view settings will be different from those that you have for DCS ... for example I have a different profile for when I run EuroTruck Simulator :)

Oh ok, when I play those different games, I'll need to switch profiles manually?

Oh ok, when I play those different games, I'll need to switch profiles manually?

Yes, when you start FTNoIR it shows a list of profiles, where you select the one you want to use for this session ... this cant be automatic since the software cant predict which game you will run next.

The list is in the "Profiles" section of the program windows:

0011.gif

In fact I use the same DCS profile for ARMA, War Thunder in simulator, Elite Dangerous, etc, even using a 3D TV with Elite and the polarized glasses on!

Will send you my profile later attached in a post, but was adjusted for the WebCam in front of me, and below the TV set. I have two monitors, one is a 50" TV set as main screen, and below over a box with the rudders pedals I have another 23" monitor, the WebCam is above this secondary monitor.

Edited by JunMcKill