FaceTrackNoIR Setup for DCS

files

Big thank you to everyone who has helped me out! :):thumbup:

Ok I attached two files, the RAR contains mio.ini, this are my curve settings for FTNoIR, the other one default_trackir.ini will sustitute the default.ini file at

C:\Program Files\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World\Config\Input\Aircrafts\Default\trackir

because the FaceTrack is not officially supported by DCS, and with the default file you can turn your head only 90° right and left. With the one I attached, you can turn your head and look back in both sides

default_trackir.lua

mio.rar

Edited by JunMcKill

Ok I attached two files, the RAR contains mio.ini, this are my curve settings for FTNoIR, the other one default_trackir.ini will sustitute the default.ini file at

C:\Program Files\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World\Config\Input\Aircrafts\Default\trackir

because the FaceTrack is not officially supported by DCS, and with the default file you can turn your head only 90° right and left. With the one I attached, you can turn your head and look back in both sides

So I should replace the default.ini file with the default_trackir.ini file so that I can look all the way back?

Hey guys, I tested my webcam and its runs at about 15 FPS. Will this FPS be fine for FaceTrackNoIR?

Its too low, ¿what resolution are you using on the webcam? ... mine runs at 90 fps at 320x200

¿Are you using LEDs or just the face?

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

Not sure about the resolution but just my face

I strongly suggest that you are much better off forgetting about using the face and build your own LED Hat or Clip ... there are plenty of videos on YouTube showing how to build one for very little money.

I configured my FaceTrackNoIR app to use the face and the results are not good:

ftnoir_5.png

... as you can see I get 56 fps, probably because my cpu is faster than yours, but the App ends up using almost a third of my processor ... thats really bad for a CPU intensive game like DCS. My webcam is modified with an IR filter, so the App is unable to recognize my face features.

Compare with using a LED clip, on the same software:

ftnoir_6.png

The fps of the App rises to 90 fps and the processor usage is just 2% ... there is just no comparison :) .... go build a IR hat or clip, this is what I use:

picture.php?albumid=1298&pictureid=8483

Best regards.

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

I strongly suggest that you are much better off forgetting about using the face and build your own LED Hat or Clip ... there are plenty of videos on YouTube showing how to build one for very little money.

Would my webcam need to be modified to be able to detect the LEDs?

Would my webcam need to be modified to be able to detect the LEDs?

Yes, you have to use Infrared LEDs and then cover the webcam lens with a piece of dark translucent film, like a VHS tape or a photo black negative ... this will filter out the visible light and makes it easier for the App to just pick the LED's light.

If you check mi prior screencap, you can see that the preview window shows up black and it contains just the three LEDs light

Here is a good tutorial with the webcam modification (he uses an old floppy as filter):

and here is a tutorial for the clip:

There are more tutorials, here is a playlist that you might want to look at:

Finally, here you can purchase the clip ready-made in case that you dont feel like constructing it yourself:

http://www.delanengineering.com/shop/#!/DelanClip-Starter/p/49740923/category=0

Best regards.

Edited by Rudel_chw

I didn't read all posts in this thread so don't know if this obvious idea has been mentioned yet. I could not afford a TrackIR either--not a new one anyways. So, I went to Ebay and got a used TrackIR5 in very good condition for around $50. U.S. :thumbup: Aren't they like 3 times that new? People buy them, and then in some cases shortly thereafter they are gathering dust. So onto Ebay they go for cheap. I did have to watch the auctions for a week or two to see that deal come along, and it did not include the hat clip. I still had the hat clip from a previous TrackIR4 I had owned, and sold to a friend. Check it out, and good luck.

• 2 years later...
No matter how you cut it trackIR is so much better.

Yeah ... and so much more expensive.

Reviving a 2 year old topic only to add this? are you trolling? :mad:

• 6 months later...