Opinions on monitor setup...

Dave73

Im stuck on which direction to go, i wanna upgrade my monitor setup for dcs...

Theres two options im looking at:

1) 3 24" 1080p monitors

2) 1 43" 4k tv

I sitting close to the screens so i thought the 3 screens would be much more immersive. Can you say that 4k is that much more over 1080p at this size? Also, which would hit fps harder 4k or 3 monitors set as one screen?

Thanks for giving me your input and opinions!!! Good Day!!!

If 3 monitor setup is run as a 3 viewport setup, which is recommended to avoid stretching, then the 3 screen setup will hit the fps harder, despite having less combined pixels, compared to 4K.

Over time Ive been using.

3x27" 1080p.

3x40" 1080p.

1x40" 1080p

VR

With 3x27, having them quite close, around 70cm from my eyes, I really missed height. Widht was fine, but I needed more visual height. That the 3x40" or 1x40 makes up for, but man those 3x40 inches produced some heat, hehe. Ive since then moved to VR, and although I lack width, I gained a lot in height, and I can just turn my head - naturally, and I see whats on the side anyway.

End of the day, I didnt really feel 3x40 or 3x27 gave me that much positive over a single 40, when taking into account the performance loss. Its heavy running 3x1080p viewports (not running it like a single 5760x1080p viewport- which is good for fps though). It was fantastic for sim racing though, but for flying, meh, not that big a gain I found.

Downside with a 4k is spotting becomes very hard. At least thats the word around these forums. I havent tried 4K myself, so cant compare.

Edit: I should add that all my 3 monitor setup experiences are based on 1.5x and 2.0. I never tried Deferred Rendering on a triple setup, so no idea if that makes things better or worse in terms of triple viewport performance.

Edited by Knock-Knock

- Jack of many DCS modules, master of none.

- Personal wishlist: F-15A, F-4S Phantom II, JAS 39A Gripen, SAAB 35 Draken, F-104 Starfighter, Panavia Tornado IDS.

| Windows 11 | i5-12400 | 64Gb DDR4 | RTX 3080 | 2x M.2 | 27" 1440p | Rift CV1 | Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS | MFG Crosswind pedals |

Immersive=VR

Three fast monitors with a Delan Clip is not a horrible experience. You'd need both to make it work the way you think. Along with HOTAS so you're not stabbing at the keyboard. That ruins the experience too.

A VR headset is less than the cost of three fast monitors. Perhaps your system upgrades would cost quite a bit more. But then again, you really want a reason to upgrade anyway! Yes, it's an investment in hardware, if immersive is what you want

I'm down to a single monitor Asus 165mhz beast (ROG PG279Q). I've had 3 of these monitors, even with TrackIR - not so great. With a Delan Clip a single fast monitor great for learning aircraft and system settings work.

Then it's back to the VR Headset to play...

(1AF) "THUD" | 55th FS

Joint Task Force 1 | Discord

Hey Dave'.

I've been musing and mulling multi-monitor for a few days. My main, and currently only, display is a 65" 4k TV which I sit approximately 8 feet away from. I'm running DCS in 1080p to show mercy to my ancient GTX 960. :smilewink:

I have a couple of decent 19" 1080p Dells kicking around that I'm considering setting up as dedicated MFD's. I've surfed the forum and get the impression that 'programming' DCS to get any particular desired multi-monitor output is not for the faint of heart, or the lazy...like me. :blush:

I'm leaning toward the status quo and just HOTAS-panning and -zooming around the cockpit and mousing input when necessary. My initial thought is that this is the most 'realistic' and natural. Then, I consider my physical HOTAS in front of me while I pan around the cockpit...seeing the virtual throttle and stick in the foreground of the physical ones. This creates a minor immersional disconnect, but a necessary one from an input perspective. Ironically, the physical HOTAS is critical for immersion! :doh:

Guess I'll give the multi-setup a try and see how it goes. Cheers!

Wayne Saint

Gander, Newfoundland, Canada

"Do Unto Others BEFORE They Do Unto You..."

Apache, Comanche, Falcon, Hind, Intruder, Lightning II

Nighthawk, Rafale, Raptor, Strike Eagle, Tornado, Typhoon

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Hey Dave', et al.

Well, after a few hours of trial, error, net-search, and wash/rinse/repeat, I was successful in getting left and right MFD's displayed separately on my two smaller monitors. NotePad++ is my new best friend...after pulling my hair out trying to edit and save .lua files in Notepad! :cry:

While it was 'cool', for me personally the extra monitors (with their redundant, albeit persistent and enlarged display) took away from the immersion. They also added immensely to living room clutter (portable couch-pit), and required me to run DCS in windowed :thumbdown: mode and in a lower resolution to make the .lua edit calculations easier.

Now I'm off to edit my view-key-bindings to make it as natural as possible to zoom in on the MDF's on my now one-and-only display. Best of luck in finding your own comfort zone(s). Cheers!

Wayne Saint

Gander, Newfoundland, Canada

"Do Unto Others BEFORE They Do Unto You..."

Apache, Comanche, Falcon, Hind, Intruder, Lightning II

Nighthawk, Rafale, Raptor, Strike Eagle, Tornado, Typhoon

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

You want to go 6 24” I have three in storage I’m not using that I took down after getting mt vr rig. The 4K will show about twice the image compared to 1080

BlackeyCole 20years usaf

XP-11. Dcs 2.5OB

Acer predator laptop/ i7 7720, 2.4ghz, 32 gb ddr4 ram, 500gb ssd,1tb hdd,nvidia 1080 8gb vram

New FlightSim Blog at https://blackeysblog.wordpress.com. Go visit it and leave me feedback and or comments so I can make it better. A new post every Friday.

Option 3, get a 3400 x 1440 Gsync screen

I tried the rift for a while and ended up getting rid of it and going back to my 21:9 34" screen

METAR weather for DCS World missions

Guide to help out new DCS MOOSE Users -> HERE

Havoc Company Dedicated server info Connect IP: 94.23.215.203

SRS enabled - freqs - Main = 243, A2A = 244, A2G = 245

Please contact me HERE if you have any server feedback or METAR issues/requests

This is my setup... 50" 4k main & 1440p reference.. with opentrack tracking setup.. spotting might be difficult.. and the zoom warp is not pleasing.. but other than that, its pretty damn sweet.. srry for the terrible pic.. tablet camera doesnt do the screen justice.screensetup.thumb.jpg.0864911005ca668b0c672de44ddfd62e.jpg

Ryzen R7 1800x|EVGA FTW3 1080Ti|32gb Corsair Dominator Platinum@2666mhz|Samsung 750 EVO|LG 4k 50" Main Display|ASUS PB278Q Reference Display|

I went from three 24” (1920 x 1200 px) to a single 40” UHD, both with a 24” touch screen below on which I run Helios.

It does seem to run faster with the single 40”, and I find it a more congenial set up. The 2 main down-side aspects are the lack of height, and the poorer target pick-up range.

Overall I do not regret my change.

Even with the seeing clearly in the distance issue, I'd still go VR. Emersion in VR is unbeatable. The only way it will get better is if it sells good. If no one invests now, then VR dies here.

MS Win7 Pro x64, Intel i7-6700K 4.0Ghz, Corsair RAM 16Gb,EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW GAMING ACX 3.0, w/ Adjustable RGB LED Graphics Card 08G-P4-6286-KR, Creative Labs SB X-FI Titanium Fatal1ty Champ PCIe Sound Card, Corsair Neutron XTI 1TB SSD, TM Warthog Throttle & Stick, TM TPR Pedels, Oculus Rift VR Headset CV1, Klipsch Promedia 4.1 Speakers...

I am on the other side of the coin. I have been playing VR for a while, but now I am back to a 46-inch 1080p LCD TV and I am looking to get a 60-inch or so OLED/QLED TV. Incredible immersion is shattered when I can't read the multifunction displays or have to turn on labels so I can spot objects that were already hard to spot before VR. The difference in graphics quality can't be overstated. If I want to feel immersed but don't need to read displays or engage threats visually, then I run VR, but the release of the Hornet has locked me into a conventional display/TrackIR so that I can see everything clearly and enjoy the fantastic graphics that 2.5 brought to the game.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Immersive=VR

Three fast monitors with a Delan Clip is not a horrible experience. You'd need both to make it work the way you think. Along with HOTAS so you're not stabbing at the keyboard. That ruins the experience too.

A VR headset is less than the cost of three fast monitors. Perhaps your system upgrades would cost quite a bit more. But then again, you really want a reason to upgrade anyway! Yes, it's an investment in hardware, if immersive is what you want

I'm down to a single monitor Asus 165mhz beast (ROG PG279Q). I've had 3 of these monitors, even with TrackIR - not so great. With a Delan Clip a single fast monitor great for learning aircraft and system settings work.

Then it's back to the VR Headset to play...

Hit the nail on the head here, Thudster!

Ryzen 5950x PBO | MSI RTX 3090 | 32gb 3600 RAM | 2 x SSD | Quest 3 | TM Warthog

For those of you who had problems with a 3 monitor setup lacking height, you may want to try turning the monitors on their sides and configuring them for portrait mode instead of landscape mode in your control panel in windows. I have done that with three 32 inch tvs and I get what I believe is the best of both worlds, plenty of height and width.

Get a 40” tv that way when you go crazy the tv will still be useful

BlackeyCole 20years usaf

XP-11. Dcs 2.5OB

Acer predator laptop/ i7 7720, 2.4ghz, 32 gb ddr4 ram, 500gb ssd,1tb hdd,nvidia 1080 8gb vram

New FlightSim Blog at https://blackeysblog.wordpress.com. Go visit it and leave me feedback and or comments so I can make it better. A new post every Friday.

I bought VR and a Samsung Ultrawide 3440x1440 at the same time and although VR is fun to use, if you're really serious about DCS you may be disappointed long-term. The resolution is the main problem (its truly terrible) and the HMD's aren't exactly comfortable for long-term use. If you like to fly for multiple hours you may experience fatigue or even some queeziness. If it's such a big decision you may want to take this into account. Many people will tell you only the positives of VR and omit the many negatives...

My ultrawide gets far more usage in DCS these days and basically fits the mold of multi-monitor but without the drawbacks. If you can get both, you should definitely get VR also, the experience is amazing, if you can't I suggest getting a nice Ultrawide with high-resolution.